48re going in.....go auto or manual VB?

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Alright guys. Its build time for me again and its trans department this year. Putting a 48re in and am questioning what VB to do. Obviously a manual vb is best suited for racing but that's not all I do with this truck. It is for the most part daily driven. I take it to work in Detroit. It gets driven to bars, and is driven to every event. The trans currently already has a manual vb on it and comes with a shifter that I dont mind. 1 all the way back, bump forward for 2, pull handle and bump for 3. 4th and lockup would be on switches. Can't remember reverse. But I also spray using a button and only have 2 hands. I hate the idea of a shifter in my truck but also don't want a repeat of last year trans after trans. A PCS controlled trans sounds so nice as well LOL. What are your guys thoughts?

sootie

Reaction score
i cant help you but i think Craig @ MPD has been down this road before-maybe hit him up for some pros and cons?

TurboM700

Reaction score
Cant comment on the manual VB put I will say that getting a PCS to shift like a ford controlled transmission isnt a easy task.

I have a 4r100 in my truck which is an easy transmission to control and it still isnt perfect in my mind.

Yes I can put my foot into and it shifts put not as smooth as I want and some of the transitions are where I want them. I bet I have spent 50-60hr moving shift points around and changing firmness of the last month or two.

I also have it set up for manual mode and I find my self liking that.

Just my 2 cents

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
nothing will live at that weight and power. buy a reg cab son !

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Cant comment on the manual VB put I will say that getting a PCS to shift like a ford controlled transmission isnt a easy task.

I have a 4r100 in my truck which is an easy transmission to control and it still isnt perfect in my mind.

Yes I can put my foot into and it shifts put not as smooth as I want and some of the transitions are where I want them. I bet I have spent 50-60hr moving shift points around and changing firmness of the last month or two.

I also have it set up for manual mode and I find my self liking that.

Just my 2 cents

Manual mode ? Anymore info on that

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

Dzchey21

Reaction score
PCS can be set up like a 6.7 Where you can set up a set of switches ot control the transmission upshift and downshift. haller used the cruise control buttons in his truck make that work. Pretty neat. Just cant manually shift it fast enough.

I kinda agree with mike i dont see anything living. Manual valve body will be your best bet but its not going to be that fun to drive anymore.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Manual mode ? Anymore info on that

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

What dustin said.

I have mine set so when I hit the Cruise control off button it goes into manual mode. Then the "Res" is upshift and "coast" is down shift.

I also have it set up to lock the converter in 2nd gear at 30mph and stay locked.

If I want out of manual mode I just hit the CC on button and it goes back to auto mode.

I use this alot when towing a trailer and I want to hold a gear a little longer or down shift to slow down.

It doesnt shift fast enought for Drag racing but some of that might have todo with the logic around using the crusie control buttons.

If you set it up for indviual(sp) buttons or inputs one could make it shift faster.

Mike

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
TRE builds the 48RE in this monster, he would be a good person to talk to...
Watch "Buck Spruill Duramax Making a 6.20 Run - Rudy's Diesel Day 2014 - HD Video!" on YouTube
Buck Spruill Duramax Making a 6.20 Run - Rudy's Diesel Day 2014 - HD Video!: http://youtu.be/XrW5WdUyD8c

Black AOD

Reaction score
I've seen a 48re in a single turbo 6.4......firepunk did the swap. Have no clue what was involved though. I just know it worked.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
TRE builds the 48RE in this monster, he would be a good person to talk to...
Watch "Buck Spruill Duramax Making a 6.20 Run - Rudy's Diesel Day 2014 - HD Video!" on YouTube
Buck Spruill Duramax Making a 6.20 Run - Rudy's Diesel Day 2014 - HD Video!: http://youtu.be/XrW5WdUyD8c

It may hold the power of that duramax. But that truck is probably all of 1000 pounds lighter. And that is the difference in my opinion.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
It may hold the power of that duramax. But that truck is probably all of 1000 pounds lighter. And that is the difference in my opinion.
Thats very true. That duramax is making a lot more power than his truck though. 2 S480's feeding a GT45! 0_0

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Well I'm aware it won't live forever but if I can get a season. **** half a season out of it before I need a rebuild I would be very happy!! It is getting 4.30s so that will help it live as well. I think I'm gonna do PCS and a suncoast auto valve body. I just can't see myself liking manual at all. I'll try and get a base file for the pcs and go from there. I have a track 30 minutes from my house so track tuning won't be a problem.

Thanks for the input guys. Def not gonna be easy

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well I'm aware it won't live forever but if I can get a season. **** half a season out of it before I need a rebuild I would be very happy!! It is getting 4.30s so that will help it live as well. I think I'm gonna do PCS and a suncoast auto valve body. I just can't see myself liking manual at all. I'll try and get a base file for the pcs and go from there. I have a track 30 minutes from my house so track tuning won't be a problem.

Thanks for the input guys. Def not gonna be easy
You should look into a firepunk valve body. They are the pretty much kings of dodge transmissions!

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Monster pump mike. King around me. And Im pretty sure I need a suncoast vb to work with the pcs

Latest posts

Members online