Don't think rings are set

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Synthetic? Blend? Conventional? Not sure what is preferred.

Cue jimdawg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I used cheap oil for the startup and hot retorque. Then put in Mystic 15W40 oil. Blend of synthetic.

It's not bad. I started it up, cold. plugged the vent hose and turn oil cap over and not much air when I did then.
at minimum, 500miles of cheap nasty diesel rated oil.. so rotella 15-40 should be used.

Throw some cheap Rotella in there and run it for a 1000 miles or so. You gotts be a little mean to a motor when it's new. Let it know who is the boss.

yup, get after her a bit.
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!?!?

I can do the rotella if that's what yall think can help.
yes nasty cheap oil for break in.. go do a brake stand and let her eat..
Synthetic? Blend? Conventional? Not sure what is preferred.

Cue jimdawg
always break in a motor with conventional/dino oil.. synthetics are designed for less friction. like andy said, you have to seat them rings. so the crappy oil works best for break in..

live life full throttle

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Have I done any harm to the engine or just not done the job right YET? Put Dino oil in, run it, work it and hopefully that will set the rings.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Have I done any harm to the engine or just not done the job right YET? Put Dino oil in, run it, work it and hopefully that will set the rings.
correct. no harm.. just hasn't set in place yet.. put rotella in it. do a smokey burnout and drive the ballz off it.. if you ever watched how guys or shops with engine dynos break in a motor then you will understand..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
actually, que HRT i believe his ole red truck was rebuilt and immediately hooked to the transfer sled. i dont know what rpm he let the clutch out at but it sounds like 5k rpm and its not just a easy let the clutch out. pretty sure he side steps the bitch. theres a video too.

live life full throttle

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I put some cheap oil in and even put in some break in additive. Did several burnouts. Got on the interstate worked her pretty good. Still got a little bit of blow by. But good news I put in a new SD fuel pump and no fuel pressure drop.

Don't think the HPOP likes the lighter weight oil. Kept going under 500 psi.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I remember back in the day they used to break motors in with straight 40 weight, I think. Deisels probably don't generate the type of friction that a gas motor does. Hence the higher average operating life. Definitely don't want to try breaking in with an oil that would elicit a lower coefficient of friction (synthetic). The best thing you can do is vary the rpm a lot in the beginning while breaking it in.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
It's about $80 for 16 quarts. :eek:

And... I did do the fuel system like you told me to!!!!

So :slap:

Last edited: