Custom center seat sub

2000wa250

Reaction score
Alright figured I'd post this up here really quick.

I've had a custom center console with a single shallow mount pioneer 12 in it for some time. Love the way it sounds, but the console was pretty bulky and crude. Just made of MDF it served its purpose, but I wanted to try something different.

ze8e2a8a.jpg

Stripped down the center jump seat and made an MDF base to fiberglass to. The above picture is after the first layer of resin and fleece.

mu9uta7u.jpg

After a coat or two of fiberglass mat

jy5a4u2u.jpg

Flip side with a coat of fiberglass to ensure it is fully sealed and give the MDF additional support.

2yje4u7a.jpg

After 4 layers of glass, and a layer of fiber reinforced bondo.

ru5y6yru.jpg

Spaced the braces up so at the max excursion of the sub it will not contact. Could have cut the brackets, but chose to do it this way.

Covered the box with some foam I got locally.

yby8usyh.jpg

Stuffed the inside with polyfill, and had enough left over to stuff up the sides of the factory cover.

FINISHED PRODUCT!!!!

4yra8ypu.jpg

e9anubah.jpg

gy8aqeqy.jpg

Waiting on some silicone to dry before putting it in the truck. Will update with how it sounds and a pic or two of it in the truck.

jdc753

Reaction score
good job, should sound good in there! center console is definitely the best place for a sub in these trucks

2000wa250

Reaction score
Seat looks much better in person. Also the last two pics were taken before I stuffed the sides with polyfil. Pretty sure you're seeing the crap/stains on the upholstery. Its been sitting in my garage for months, not very clean and I didn't clean it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Right on! I figured the way that fiberglass work looked theres no way it was all billybobbed.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Its by no means perfect, but at least out of the truck it can be passed off as stock.

Koda22

Reaction score
Looks good, I've looked into doing something like this so I could get my behind the seat space back...I'm just not sure if the single sub is gonna be enough

2000wa250

Reaction score
I thought the same about a single sub. You'd be very surprised. Although I did notice that down firing it makes a huge difference. Not only do you hear it, but you also feel it a bit which gives the illusion of it hitting harder. This pioneer won't bust any windows, but will definitely do more than just fill the lower end.

jdc753

Reaction score
I thought the same about a single sub. You'd be very surprised. Although I did notice that down firing it makes a huge difference. Not only do you hear it, but you also feel it a bit which gives the illusion of it hitting harder. This pioneer won't bust any windows, but will definitely do more than just fill the lower end.

Yup, downfiring it, or in other vehicles firing off a back wall or side etc creates a effect of loading off the wall increasing output. I don't know the exact physics but competitors have found firing off a back wall in a SUV increases out put and similar of downfiring off the floor will increase sound pressure.

Mine is probably about an inch higher than yours as it is spaced 1.5" off the stock brackets. You most likely won't be flexing the windshield with these single setups, but can still get pretty loud.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Just got this thing in the truck, brackets needed a little adjustment to line up, but holy crap it hits hard for a single 12. Clean, crisp, and hard. Seat sits about an inch high, but nothing horrible. Forgot to snap a couple pics, will do later.

Latest posts

Members online