to rebuild or not?...

usmcpsd

Reaction score
Good sounds like all im missing in an updated TQ.
If i use my current old block, will I have a better chance of boring out the engine and going with oversized pistons or can I have sleeves installed and go with standard pistons. Would it be a good idea to buy new rods as well?

bruce

Reaction score
Good sounds like all im missing in an updated TQ.
If i use my current old block, will I have a better chance of boring out the engine and going with oversized pistons or can I have sleeves installed and go with standard pistons. Would it be a good idea to buy new rods as well?

Why don't you just run it and if you blow it up then worry about it. If you drive not retarded you can keep an engine together

usmcpsd

Reaction score
Heres the thing. This truck has lived life as ricky bobbys work truck so even with 260k shes nearing rebuild time. She throws out white smoke initially then black soot when I get on the throttle. The black im not worried about because thats due to my smallish turbo but the white smoke and truck constantly eating oil leads me to believe theres more mechanical issues than im creating in my brain housing group.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Buy a low mile long block.
Typically for a good one $1000 ish.
Run that bish.

usmcpsd

Reaction score
Ill look into a new block and build that into a better engine then just swap over the "bolt-ons".
Fyi...that riff raff kit is the same international/ford kit everyone else sells. Not that its bad, just not special.

I figure if I get the new block/engine itll be easier to install/mock-up the new bigger turbo and do most of the assembly work myself, the machine will have to be done by an individual with the right tools.

m j

Reaction score
the delipped pistons are pretty inexpensive when you order that kit from riffraff. they shipped blazingly fast.

Reaction score
The obs trucks were one of Fords better "inventions" and they are very easy and cheap to repair for the most part, if you even plan to build 800hp, I've laid down 574hp at Clarke Power in Antioch Tn on a taylor load dyno (where I work) and it took a few other things to get it to hold other than just building the engine, and I'm not even touching 600 yet, when you buy a 6.4 you have little aftermarket to help with the sh** that will and has gone wrong, yep you can spend big money delteting everything, tuning, injectors, blah blah but you will still have a truck where most parts were built and produced overseas, the obs trucks were built in a time when Ford was dead serious about capturing the diesel truck market and they did, ask yourself this, how many 450,000 mile 6.4s will you see still getting modified in 10 years vs how many 7.3 obs trucks are still getting rebuilt, the future isn't so bright unfortunately.

sootie

Reaction score
The obs trucks were one of Fords better "inventions" and they are very easy and cheap to repair for the most part, if you even plan to build 800hp, I've laid down 574hp at Clarke Power in Antioch Tn on a taylor load dyno (where I work) and it took a few other things to get it to hold other than just building the engine, and I'm not even touching 600 yet, when you buy a 6.4 you have little aftermarket to help with the sh** that will and has gone wrong, yep you can spend big money delteting everything, tuning, injectors, blah blah but you will still have a truck where most parts were built and produced overseas, the obs trucks were built in a time when Ford was dead serious about capturing the diesel truck market and they did, ask yourself this, how many 450,000 mile 6.4s will you see still getting modified in 10 years vs how many 7.3 obs trucks are still getting rebuilt, the future isn't so bright unfortunately.

im sure what you say is true........to a point.

facts are, the creature comfort and vehicle ability with a 6.4 is so far past an OBS 7.3 that even if they arent getting rebuilt as much in 10 years at least you could do more work, in less time, more comfortably.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
im sure what you say is true........to a point.

facts are, the creature comfort and vehicle ability with a 6.4 is so far past an OBS 7.3 that even if they arent getting rebuilt as much in 10 years at least you could do more work, in less time, more comfortably.
Put enough money in anything and you can get some awesome comfort.

Personally, I would never touch a 6.4. A 6.7 on the other hand...

Reaction score
Billy, I usually agree with you but I have to disagree this time. As far as the process of boring and honing the block goes. First you bore what you think is the worst hole to the least amount of available oversize available (.20, .30, .40)Now you know which set of pistons to order, then the cylinders are honed for clearance after the pistons are avaialble to measure individually.

I would never buy pistons before honing/boring the cylinders. You bore/hone first then buy the pistons for the bore size.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
As far as the 7.3 vs newer truck goes here are my arguments for keeping the OBS 7.3. Keep in mind I went out of my way to get my OBS 10 years ago and I have no plans of ever parting with it. I know there are negative thing about OBS I may overlook since I love them.

Half the engine isn't under the windshield.

The front wheel bearings are long lived and serviceable. No unit bearings.

The body style is the best ford ever built, it has been downhill since, especailly after 07.

The doors aren't the size of barn doors.

The 7.3 is the last of the "overbuilt" that is cost and light weight hadn't taken the safety factor out. It is stouter than needed in most ways.

With a few tools I can do all my own work on the 7.3.

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear....you bore first to whatever size, order pistons to whatever size and finish honing. I usually buy custom pistons for my race motors from the piston manufacturer and they machine the piston to the bore taking in account for piston expansion.

Billy T.
[email protected]

m j

Reaction score
I just had the block tanked and measured by the machinist to determine what the bore condition was,
then order the smallest required/available oversize pistons that the block can accept (0.010 as the block was .001 out of spec for reusing the stock pistons on the worst bore)
the only part I messed up on was the deck height is still a mystery so the best I can do is ask that they cut it as little as possible

custom pistons that work for this application are pretty much not available from what I have found

psduser1

Reaction score
As far as boring, might just sleeve the block and run stock size pistons. Spend the money on delipping, coating, etc.
Billet rods are going to be a must, if I understand you're first post correctly. Rickybobby on 800ish will tear some sit up, compared to 500ish, I'm thinking.
Probably buying from swamps will save you some headaches, as well, unless you've got a lot of time, and willingness to sort thru all the little details that can turn enjoyable to a pita! What you're really buying from them is yrs of experience, wisdom, and technical support.

Latest posts

Members online