6.0 common rail project

Wayne

Reaction score
...sort of:naughty:
2013-01-01_16-28-15_976.jpg

Since our customer, Dave isn't a member here I thought I'd share a few progress pics of his project I've been working on for the last little while. I'm not trying to sell anything here, but if any of you are curious on how things have been done/fit so far I'd be happy to answer a few questions.

The truck is an '05 harley edition CCSB that showed up with a decent running, studded 6.0 he wanted to do compounds on. After going back and forth, figuring out how we would have the most reliable 800 HP he can tow heavy with at any altitude, we decided to convert to a built 6.4.

I still have the mock-up engine in, but with any luck we should have this truck running some time within the next month or so. Believe it or not, most of the complicated stuff is all figured out, so it's mostly a matter of dropping in the new engine, and hooking stuff up. I should have a couple more pics I can share in a bit that show things at a few different angles.

If all goes according to plan, we should have functioning climate control, cruise control, and all the original factory gauges working with no CEL.

MINK

Reaction score
Very nice, not sure it is worth the swap though when you could just sell the truck and get a 6.4

Wayne

Reaction score
Very nice, not sure it is worth the swap though when you could just sell the truck and get a 6.4

for most people wanting a 6.4, that is the smart route, but for guys like this planning on a built engine & trans, that already have a ton of money invested it's not too bad of a route. He has a lot of sentimental attachment to the truck too, so it makes sense for him. Once this truck is done, we've got another build similar to this on an '03, but the '03 is a full-on show truck getting a stroker kit, triples, 4-link front & rear, 24" american force wheels etc.

Wayne

Reaction score
Pretty cool swap. How'd the firewall clear?

Excellent. the engine is in the exact same location as the 6.0 was. The only thing that might need some massaging is at the base of the L up pipe depending on if he goes with steed speeds. He's planning on them pending dyno results of the newest version, but if they don't do awesome right off, then the ported & ceramic coated 6.0 manifolds with the conversion up pipes should fit, but tight like they did on the original engine.

We will have to run turbo blankets too, to keep the heat away from the 6.4 pcm though, as it's a little too close for comfort otherwise.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Isnt a 6.4 just a 6l....oh nevermind.

I agree with Waynes assessment in that sometimes we prefer to update our vehicles.to keep them for sentimental reasons. Mines been involvex in some of the best times our family has.had, my kids love the big noisy beotch and so its staying.

strokin6L

Reaction score
for most people wanting a 6.4, that is the smart route, but for guys like this planning on a built engine & trans, that already have a ton of money invested it's not too bad of a route. He has a lot of sentimental attachment to the truck too, so it makes sense for him. Once this truck is done, we've got another build similar to this on an '03, but the '03 is a full-on show truck getting a stroker kit, triples, 4-link front & rear, 24" american force wheels etc.

That '03 you speak of wouldn't happen to be that dually of Ralph's from NJ would it?
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103586
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99084
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113778
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102102

I remember when Ralph first started talkin about this build of his since '09. Was there a reason why the build has takin this long to do? I know there is alot that has gone into this truck...and it looks absolutly amazing, but nearly 4 years is a long time. Just curious, not meaning to start chit. You guys do awesome builds and would like to see more on Ralph's truck build.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
One thing is the 05-07 body style is my absolute favorite. If you could have that body with a 6.4 that would be great.

Another thing is the truck wouldn't require a Dpf to meet a visual emission check... Just food for thought.

I'll be interested to see how this all works out. I wouldn't mind having tadds old drag truck with a 6.4...

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
Strokin6L: Yeah, the other truck getting the conversion is Ralph's. That truck sure has been a long time coming. Finding the time when I can be patient to work on his stuff is a challenge because his is even more custom, and much nicer. We're doing the first conversion setup on Dave's, then fine tuning it for Ralph's.

Here's a couple more pics at the same progress point from different angles.
2013-01-01_16-29-19_242.jpg

2013-01-01_16-24-47_532_1_.jpg

As far as the build goes, here's a few of the things going on this truck:

110 hp nozzles
twin pumps
stg 2 low pressure fuel system
stg 1 cam
balanced rotating assy w/ machined & ceramic coated pistons
gapless piston rings
ported heads w/ oversize valves
BD blow-off valve
steed speed exhaust manifolds w/ HD up pipes
z-max intake manifold w/ 3.5" inlet
High power X turbos (62 mm VGT, 82 mm billet precision atmospheric turbo)
frame mounted fuel cooler
true-trac rear diff
mag-hytec diff covers
full power '08 mirrors
stage 4 transmission
13" extreme duty torque converter
6.4 factory cooling fan
dual red top optimas
H&S mini maxx w/ MCC
Insight CTS w/ high & low pressure turbo boost gauges
Auto Meter Cobalt trans temp & low pressure fuel gauges
and all the custom wiring, piping, etc to make it all work

He's also planning on doing OUO traction bars, but not sure if that will be this go round.