Installing new TQ converter should i go thru the trans?

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
I have over 100,000 miles on the trans towing very heavy loads 29-33K about 80-90 percent of the time. Trans was doing well until recently i notice the TQ slipping when locked up. started at 20-35 moved to 100 then 130 slip recently at 3/4 throttle so i stopped towing and ordered a new converter and upgraded input shaft from RCD, question should i just change the converter or should i go thru the trans while i am at it. I have serviced the trans every 15,000 miles, flushed it every 30,000 and have never got it hot towing. Trans fluid currently looks like new after 11,000 miles since the last service.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
While its out here's what I would do

Definitely consider a rebuild kit, such as a suncoast ironpac 3 or an elite rebuild kit.

I have SO many customers notice slip at the converter, replace it, then call me noticing slip.

Low and behold, their directs are starting to fail..

Also, if your there, replace the entire solenoid body and a new ford pump

Yes, this will be a little more spendy, but NO room for error

Thanks for your business!

Jared

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
I have to admit I figured this would be the consensus...lol I primarily use the 210 TP tune and the 275, would a little over a 100,000 sound about right with my setup. Would the life be about the same on the rebuild? just curious im sure theres alot of variables

I know a few good reliable trans shop here in Henderson but they don't due 5R110's every day with that being said are the upgraded kits straight forward or should I consider a shop that deals more directly with the 5R110's I know far more about engines then transmissions or transmission rebuild procedures.

Should i change any of the hard parts after looking a little more looks like there are alot of billet replacement parts out there, i don't plan on exceeding my peek HP i currently have but again would not want to miss any other parts that should be replaced in this process

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I hate to say this and I know I will get **** for it but in my experience with the 5r110 and towing heavy you will not get the same miles out of a "built" trans vs a stock one. My stock one went about 100,000 hard miles of towing heavy and such. It went out so logically I wanted to upgrade. Ever since then reliability and confidence of towing far and heavy have gone down the drain. I am at 170,000 miles now and around my 4th trans and now the one in it is slipping after my last heavy haul to vegas only loaded to 25,000 GVW :flush:

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
I hate to say this and I know I will get **** for it but in my experience with the 5r110 and towing heavy you will not get the same miles out of a "built" trans vs a stock one. My stock one went about 100,000 hard miles of towing heavy and such. It went out so logically I wanted to upgrade. Ever since then reliability and confidence of towing far and heavy have gone down the drain. I am at 170,000 miles now and around my 4th trans and now the one in it is slipping after my last heavy haul to vegas only loaded to 25,000 GVW :flush:

Thats intresting

seems like these high end rebuild kits offer more clutch packs or friction parts which i would have figured would be better..

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
It would seem so but here is another thought I have had. Because a stock trans can not lock as hard if you will and can slightly slip I think that is the key to not breaking hard parts. I have broken an intermediate shaft, two input shaft's and a converter. Until this most recent trans I have never had a trans slip on me. I want to go find a good core that hasn't been trashed and rebuild it with all new stock clutches and steels and stock converter or a well known used one not Suncoast. Some billet hard parts and see how it runs, how it tows, and how long it last.

Thats intresting

seems like these high end rebuild kits offer more clutch packs or friction parts which i would have figured would be better..

Wayne

Reaction score
Thats intresting

It's all in how you use it. Elite's heavy duty kit increases clutch counts, and improves frictions and steels, while maintaining full thickness clutches. On the comp units, thinner clutches are used in some of the packs to increase surface area as that's the only feasible way to increase clutch count at that point.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
After looking at the fluid in my old converter and talking with the owner of the trans shop i decided to just change the converter, the fluid looked like new in the converter, the pan was spotless, magnet was clean and i wasn't prepared to due the whole trans. Truck would have been down too long so Poor planing on my part proably should have asked the question before i took it to the shop. He charged me 400.00 to R & R the converter. So if it dosen't work i am out 400.00 bucks but i can drive it tell the rebuild kit gets in.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
OK so after having the new converter in all I can say is wow, the shop was impressed with the converter. I could hold the stock converter in one hand, the RCD converter took two...lol. After driving a couple days it even seems the mileage looks like it is coming up. I have a steep driveway that I usually have to throttle the truck a little to get up, not now the truck idles up the driveway. The lock is so solid it’s almost scary at times. Torque converter slip is a solid 0-5 max. Just a little 3-5 shift flare mabey 60-80 rpm not sure if the trans is still learning a little. The shift points now seem to have changed a little, much better lower rpm range.

Had a chance to tow a good load yesterday and it performed great, I cant believe how much cooler the trans runs now in stop and go traffic, granted it is cooler out but still its a noticeable difference at least 12 degrees. Trans converter Slip was 0-5 towing 24,000 lbs on the freeway no mater how hard i pushed it.

So the cost
1200.00 converters
225.00 billet input shaft
400.00 install

1800 or so and the truck runs great, I am very happy with the RCD converter to say the least! Now hopefully it will last and this wont be in vane

Has anyone done a stage 2 EPC solenoid from MTS diesel or a modified direct solenoid. Just curious if they help prolong the trans? If the shift flare between 3-5 does not go away i thought about tryin them. My truck is a job 1 with a june 07 build date from what i have gathered seems they had more issues like this running bigger tunes.

Last edited:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Didn't read the other replies but putting a new converter in a old trans really isn't worth it. If the trans comes apart it very well could ruin a 1k+ converter. I would look into a rebuild.

Edit just saw you already put it in.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Sounds good man! I debated it on a 100k tranny myself. I have a modified solenoid that I can't use it anymore. If you'd like it.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Just an update the new converter, after I installed the new EPC stage 2 and DIrect solenoid the Trans performed flawless. There is never lazy shifts from easy in town driving, where prior to the new solenoids Trans relearns where required to maintain good firm shifts. I can't say how pleased I am with the converter, better mileage , cooler Trans temps towing, better Trans shifts .......lol I think u can tell I'm happy!

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Just an update the new converter, after I installed the new EPC stage 2 and DIrect solenoid the Trans performed flawless. There is never lazy shifts from easy in town driving, where prior to the new solenoids Trans relearns where required to maintain good firm shifts. I can't say how pleased I am with the converter, better mileage , cooler Trans temps towing, better Trans shifts .......lol I think u can tell I'm happy!

Glad your enjoying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04hdfatboy

Reaction score

So all you did were the solenoids and the tc?

Latest posts

Members online