airdog ii 165 fuse install

capt dong

Reaction score
where do i stick the fuse? instructions say in a hot location. owners manual doesnt say which is hot though number 71 is fuel pump relay diode. wanted to check power in the empty slots but multimeter dead. dont want to put everything together and not have power or screw something up. appreciate the help.

null_zpsd6fd2725.jpg

null_zpsd9305b1a.jpg

CT9AIX

Reaction score
when I had my AD2 I just ran the power/ground wire straight to the battery. I fused the positive side, and that ran over to the relay supplied by AD, then it went down to the pump.

capt dong

Reaction score
That sounds simple enough. I guess i dont fully understand however, how does the relay know when to switch power on if its directly connected to the battery?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
yeah its been awhile since I installed it so the old memory might be going a bit... but I modified the factory electrical plug for the stock LPFP to accept the airdog wiring harness and that is how it knows when to turn the pump on and off. that wiring harness is part of the relay that comes with the airdog, so believe the truck runs the AD relay, and one side of the relay hooks straight to the battery, and the other side of the relay runs straight to the airdog. pretty sure that's how its hooked up.

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
I cut the factory plug off and hard wired it. The truck already has a fuse and relay on the circuit. I used the airdog relay and tapped the fuse box before but I kept getting a code and no start every 50 starts or so. Save yourself the head ache and just cut the plug. It's a black and purple with white tracer. Purple to pos black to neg. Done.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

capt dong

Reaction score
wow thats super easy. i guess the line supplies enough power and the motor doesnt draw too much to pop the fuse.

BigBluediesel08

Reaction score
I cut the factory plug off and hard wired it. The truck already has a fuse and relay on the circuit. I used the airdog relay and tapped the fuse box before but I kept getting a code and no start every 50 starts or so. Save yourself the head ache and just cut the plug. It's a black and purple with white tracer. Purple to pos black to neg. Done.

I did the same exact thing.. No issues so far..

TD-5

Reaction score
When I did my install I questioned the need for the supplied harness also. So I ran a test after I had everything plumbed in. Ran the pump for 1 hour from an external power source (13.62-13.71 volts). The pump motor running current was between 5.02-5.31 amps for the 1 hour period. Pump pressure was 11psi on gauge @ pump. I then stopped & started the pump 10 times & checked the peak starting current which was between 9.82 & 11.3 Amps. The factory mini relay(#18) is rated for 20 amps & is fused for 20 amps. All those mini relays #16 to #22 are the same. # 20 if I remember right has something to do with the trailer tow lights and is actually fused with a 25 amp. I figured if things went for S**T, I could always borrow it or one of the others to get me home.
Long story short, I did the same thing and wired into the existing factory plug. So far so good , but not a lot of miles yet.
Good to here others went the same way with no problems.

Attachments

• AD1.JPG
    AD1.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 97
  • AD2.JPG
    AD2.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 98
  • AD3.JPG
    AD3.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 99
  • ADF4.JPG
    ADF4.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 90

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
When I did my install I questioned the need for the supplied harness also. So I ran a test after I had everything plumbed in. Ran the pump for 1 hour from an external power source (13.62-13.71 volts). The pump motor running current was between 5.02-5.31 amps for the 1 hour period. Pump pressure was 11psi on gauge @ pump. I then stopped & started the pump 10 times & checked the peak starting current which was between 9.82 & 11.3 Amps. The factory mini relay(#18) is rated for 20 amps & is fused for 20 amps. All those mini relays #16 to #22 are the same. # 20 if I remember right has something to do with the trailer tow lights and is actually fused with a 25 amp. I figured if things went for S**T, I could always borrow it or one of the others to get me home.
Long story short, I did the same thing and wired into the existing factory plug. So far so good , but not a lot of miles yet.
Good to here others went the same way with no problems.

Did you actually find a plug that fit the factory molex connector? I was trying find one and couldn't so I just cut the plug and hardwired to the douche connector the airdog came with.

TD-5

Reaction score
No I didn't come up with a replacement plug so I used the factory harness, I cut the 4 wire harness just back from the plug in picture 3 that supplied the factory HFCM. Removed the two wires from the plug that were for the "water in fuel" indicator as they were no longer needed. Pulled the AD motor plug & wiring from their harness & spliced that into the factory plug.

capt dong

Reaction score
awesome posts td5. looks like you have a valve on there. is that an airdog piece?

dilemna im having is installing the airdog and buying a replacement motor when it craps out for immediate repair or sell it and get the fuel lab. would be easier if i were rich haha.

Rob D

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy a $5 test light lol...all you have to do is test which spare location lights up with ignition in key on no start and off when ignition is off...

capt dong

Reaction score
bought a 9 volt battery over the weekend for the multimeter. however for this topic the solutions been stated.

TD-5

Reaction score
looks like you have a valve on there. is that an airdog piece?

The isolating valves are something I added, as are the push-on fittings. After 30 years of changing filters on different equipment I've had it with getting soaked in fuel, unless its absolutely nessasary. That was one of my main reasons for getting rid of that piece of crap HFCM. I would love to find the engineer who thought it was a good idea to mount that thing where they did...... & GIVE it back to him. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1090 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1090 (Medium).JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 84

Lususs

Reaction score
Td-5

Sorry to res an old thread I'm just curious, are you running th AD off the stock lift pump wiring and not using the supplied AD harness at all. I am doing an install on my 2009 soon and want to ditch the harness and tie into the factory power for the stock pump. Also have you had any issues since the install or has it been smooth sailing.

Latest posts

Members online