Alradco Intercooler review!

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Well guys I finally got to get another one of Alradco's intercooler prototypes on a test truck last week and I have to say this blew my expectations out of the water after the first test one didn't reach our goals. I put this intercooler onto a 10 6.4 (GotStroke) with a set of 71/59 turbos, Elite Z-max intake, no limit pipes and intake and full deletes. We did a 0-70 pull in a canned H&S tow tune and with the stock cooler we hit 1,114 degrees on one pull and 1,103 on a second pull, went right back to the shop and swapped out stock intercooler for the Alradco one and went back to the same stretch of road and did it again. Same tune, same 0-70 and practically same out side temp we hit at full throttle 910 EGT's and with another run to back it up did 912 for EGT's. I have to say I was really happy by that, wasn't expecting a 200 degree drop unloaded with just an intercooler swap especially because back in the day a couple people did back to back test and saw very small changes, nothing compared to this. Next week we will be doing some towing test with his truck and my truck so stay tuned for those results!
5375CB20-CB26-41C4-9B43-23C5E30B5332_zpsrjg73iy4.jpg

9845A1A5-4084-4EF6-8D24-ACD00EC97727_zpsfibft0xi.jpg

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Good to hear that you like what you have seen thus far. Looks like a very nice intercooler and looking forward to seeing how this performs when put behind a built engine with some large turbos.

alradco

Reaction score
Thanks for the independent testing, input, and update Nick. Look forward to more results soon.

Peter

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Mine has been fine. But anyone asking that question that sells them I know what the intentions are. The reason I want to know with a stock or comparison is to see if a radiator is beneficial to me since mine has been fine. I have a No Limit Intercooler and the differences in temps are greater than the Spearco was in my 6.0. One downfall that both trucks had was an increase in oil temps and coolant temps which makes since with something in front removing more heat. Coolant temps go up oil temps will also. Now my truck is mainly a tow vehicle not a daily driver. Most of the time when the truck is moved 16K plus is behind it. My opinion on why the stock radiators split. Pressure created by air. When the coolant level drops in the degas bottle the system takes in some air. Air can compress and expand. Expands and the weak part is the radiator. Now my opinion. Have one like everyone. Is an all aluminum radiator better yes. I am not debating that. What I am is the temp difference. I am not saying I won't buy one when I need one if the lead time is not too long. Just would like a comparison. More so on a stock tuned truck without aftermarket turbo(s) that tows pretty heavy.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Mine has been fine. But anyone asking that question that sells them I know what the intentions are. The reason I want to know with a stock or comparison is to see if a radiator is beneficial to me since mine has been fine. I have a No Limit Intercooler and the differences in temps are greater than the Spearco was in my 6.0. One downfall that both trucks had was an increase in oil temps and coolant temps which makes since with something in front removing more heat. Coolant temps go up oil temps will also. Now my truck is mainly a tow vehicle not a daily driver. Most of the time when the truck is moved 16K plus is behind it. My opinion on why the stock radiators split. Pressure created by air. When the coolant level drops in the degas bottle the system takes in some air. Air can compress and expand. Expands and the weak part is the radiator. Now my opinion. Have one like everyone. Is an all aluminum radiator better yes. I am not debating that. What I am is the temp difference. I am not saying I won't buy one when I need one if the lead time is not too long. Just would like a comparison. More so on a stock tuned truck without aftermarket turbo(s) that tows pretty heavy.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

System pressure would be the same regardless of fluid level unless your coolant dropped enough to flash. Think of the accumulator system on a drilling rig. A 7000psi pre charge has equal pressure above and below the bottle diaphragm.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I know what you are saying and agree with you. But when the fluid drops in the degass bottle below the line into it the radiator can get air right. When the air goes through the pump and into the engine it can compress, when the fluid cant. Wo when it hits the top side it can expand back. Like water hammer in a house.

GotStroke

Reaction score
Just to chime in. Before I had the intercooler in I would see anywhere from 203-207 oil temp at highways speeds at 1900-2200 ish RPMS 68-72 MPH and coolant would be 195-199 unloaded. And to be honest I did not notice a difference between before and after. The EGTs were between 110 and 180 cooler but the oil and coolant temp I did not notice a jump in temps if any maybe 1-2 but that could have been foot related from testing the EGT drop. It might when pulling a long long hard grade but I haven't run into any noticeable temperature increases yet since the install.

alradco

Reaction score
Just to chime in. Before I had the intercooler in I would see anywhere from 203-207 oil temp at highways speeds at 1900-2200 ish RPMS 68-72 MPH and coolant would be 195-199 unloaded. And to be honest I did not notice a difference between before and after. The EGTs were between 110 and 180 cooler but the oil and coolant temp I did not notice a jump in temps if any maybe 1-2 but that could have been foot related from testing the EGT drop. It might when pulling a long long hard grade but I haven't run into any noticeable temperature increases yet since the install.

Thanks for the update. Very happy to see those results.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Hmmm. Wouldn't mind trying some before and afters on my truck to see if there are any differences on a higher up truck. One thing when I had my twin turbo audi is people put bigger intercoolers on with the small stock turbos, and the turbos didn't move enough air to see all of the cooling benefits and relieve the heat soak of the intercooler because of the greater volume in the cooler. I'm sure trucks with bigger chargers would see even more benefits due to the higher flow/cfm

alradco

Reaction score
Hmmm. Wouldn't mind trying some before and afters on my truck to see if there are any differences on a higher up truck. One thing when I had my twin turbo audi is people put bigger intercoolers on with the small stock turbos, and the turbos didn't move enough air to see all of the cooling benefits and relieve the heat soak of the intercooler because of the greater volume in the cooler. I'm sure trucks with bigger chargers would see even more benefits due to the higher flow/cfm

You're probably right. There's a few heavy hitters that will be testing our IC soon too so will be interesting. How much power does your truck make? Sounds pretty serious.

Latest posts

Members online