2008 deleted 6.4 smoke

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice. Have an 08 6.4 260,000 miles. Truck has mini max and full egr delete. New long block at 200,000 miles. Trucks runs and drive great but at times pretty consistent during a decel it will smoke like crazy. looks like a grey fuel smoke,but cant quite tell, if you rev it up a bit the smoke will stop. Only seems to happen during a deceleration from about 60mph after cruising a bit. Check the injector trims with IDS and #1 was showing +9% all others on that bank are minus 3 to 5%. That is at idle. relative compression all OK. Truck does not miss or seem to run bad just the smoke. The other bank are all about +-1 to 3%. Pulled the lower intercooler hose bone dry no water/condensation. Think I'm looking at #1 injector or what else may be going on. No noise or abnormal running.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Any thoughts? Did find a cracked uppipe on the drivers side. Pretty certain that's not the real issue.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I thought you had it right from the beginning....injector is beginning to hang open. Hopefully the piston wasn't damaged.

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
Do you still have the DPF on? I know the truck will try and clean the DPF and will blow white smoke

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Well replaced the #1 Fuel injector. Replaced the cracked up pipe. Reset the fuel trims with IDS. Still smokes, intermittent. Does it more when pulling trailer or tow haul. Only happens during deceleration. Takes a few seconds of decelerating before it will start to smoke. Oil level ok. Could see no oil in the downpipe. No abnormal running when it occurs just the smoke. Its definitely a whiteish/blueish smoke. Cant really tell. Will not smoke under any other conditions. Any IDEAS?

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I'll look at that. I checked the atmosphere and that one felt fine, Didn't get to the other. thanks for the input.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Checked end play on both turbo's, don't feel anything that is too bad. But I can push the high pressure turbo wheel sideways and make it stop, no real in and out play. Drove the truck again, to make it smoke you must be decelerating from approx. 60 mph or so and then about 10% pedal will make it smoke the worst. Not sure if that turbo could be the culprit yet or not. Any other things to check?

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Any other ideas? Things to check? Truck is weird in the conditions that it occurs. No other driveability or abnormal running?

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Pulled a fuel sample last night. Didn't seem the best, did not smell like diesel and overnight it ate the red solo cup it was in. Flipping chase tail for a potential fuel issue, no wonder nothing would show on the ids or anything else. Had changed the filters in the beginning but didn't appear but till closer look. I'll let you know if that's for sure the issue.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Wasn't the fuel. Sounds like its getting a little worse, cracked piston or blowby maybe? keep digging.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Had a small stream nothing that seemed abnormal. Trucks coming back sounds like it got worse over the weekend.

Latest posts

Members online