in need of a new clutch

patc11

Reaction score
Southbend or Valair? Looking for a dual disc for street use. Getting tired of running a 40hp tune, ha. Could someone could point me in the right direction, seems everywhere i go i get about 20 different results for the same clutch it seems. Thanks.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
What's your plans for the truck? Performance. Towing. Daily drive fun toy.

patc11

Reaction score
Daily driver. little towing but nothing heavy (just a few sleds in the winter). Would like to get it to the strip once or twice too.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
I have a South Bend and like it. If you decide to go with SB they offer some very easily daily driven dual discs like the 3250 and if you want a little more you can go with a 3650 competition use clutch but still daily drivable. If you want the assurance that the clutch will be there I would go 3650. I've heard that some guys run Valair and love them. Quiet. Easy pedal pressure and they hold the power. I don't have any experience with them so I'm gonna say South Bend. Since you said you wanna race a few times Id get a 3650.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I have a kennys pulling parts sintered iron one and I like it. It hasn't skipped a beat. If I ever need another one I'll be going back to him.

02strokin

Reaction score
I've had 2 sb an hated them an junked them.. I've had a Kenny's dual disk pulling clutch now for over a yr an love it

B585Ford

Reaction score
Why didn't you like SB?

OP,
I have the 3850 old version. It has been bulletproof for 60k miles...but it is loud and is slow shifting. According to people who have driven in a truck with the old and new version 3850, there are significant improvements on the new version. I like my SB, but like most people, I haven't run a different clutch to know which is "better".

ZF6.4

Reaction score
So I know this thread is a little old but does SB still produce the 3650 because I can't find it. Also what's the difference between the 3650, 3850, and 3250? I understand the 36 and 38 are supposed to be for competition use and the 32 is supposed to be like a DD dual disc version but what's the actual difference?

B585Ford

Reaction score
:swordfight:
So I know this thread is a little old but does SB still produce the 3650 because I can't find it. Also what's the difference between the 3650, 3850, and 3250? I understand the 36 and 38 are supposed to be for competition use and the 32 is supposed to be like a DD dual disc version but what's the actual difference?

I would contact South Bend to see if they still make it. IIRC the 3250 is rated for 550, the 3650 for 650, and the 3850 for 750. The higher you go the harsher it grabs (no slipping). As for the actual physical differences, IDK. Confirm those ratings with SB cause my 3850 has been in my truck since '08 and I haven't done much research since then.

ZF6.4

Reaction score
Yeah now their website is showing the 3850 as a competition dual disk rated for up to 950 HP, the 3250 as a street dual disk rated for 550-750 HP not for competition use, and the only 36 series is the 36005 and 36006 for 5 and 6 speed transmissions respectively but these are also competition dual disks and rated for 850 HP. I'm just wondering if people are using these competition grade clutches that are rated for 850-950hp in their daily driver trucks, and how stiff the pedal actually becomes.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yeah now their website is showing the 3850 as a competition dual disk rated for up to 950 HP, the 3250 as a street dual disk rated for 550-750 HP not for competition use, and the only 36 series is the 36005 and 36006 for 5 and 6 speed transmissions respectively but these are also competition dual disks and rated for 850 HP. I'm just wondering if people are using these competition grade clutches that are rated for 850-950hp in their daily driver trucks, and how stiff the pedal actually becomes.

Mine has been in there since 5,000 miles in '08 and it is the old version. For years, I used my truck as a DD and I even used it to hot shot for a year. Its not the easiest set up to drive, but IMO it isn't that bad...It has been loud since day 1 (sounds like the throw-out bearing is bad but that has never changed). The new version is supposed to be much better. There is no way around it, the clutch is stiff and grabs aggressively (definitely not optimal for towing in reverse but still doable), and again, the new version is supposed to be better. My wife weighs 120 lbs and her shins hit the console when the clutch is completely pushed in due to her height and she has driven it as a DD and even a tow pig (up to 10k lbs) at various times. My only complaint about it is that you can't shift it fast (again, the new version is supposed to be better). I guess it boils down what is acceptable to you, but it can be used for DD. If you are in north central WV, let me know and you can try it out for yourself.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Wow brett your still alive! Haven't seen you on here much lately. One of the few 6.4 zf guys! And like brett said the higher rated clutches are going to be more aggressive. But if your a decent driver you can manage no problem. Backing up with a trailer is about the hardest thing you will end up doing.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have Kentucky Clutch's dual disk ceramic button clutch rated for 650 hp if I remember? Kentucky Clutch was recommended to me by Linconlocker, as hes been running one a while. 3600 or so for the plate. (Cant remember) You get used to modulating the clutch. Youll find elevating rpm before applying clutch makes engagement smoother. After ~5k miles, I finally took it down the drag strip 7 times one night and did 2nd gear, 4wd launches. Clutch engagement is much MUCH smoother until the final grab. Drag mph vs weight says 500 hp, rowing gears. So as long as it keeps holding tight I'll be happy. Significantly less cost then the SB and Valairs of similar ratings.

psduser1

Reaction score
:redspotdance:
I have Kentucky Clutch's dual disk ceramic button clutch rated for 650 hp if I remember? Kentucky Clutch was recommended to me by Linconlocker, as hes been running one a while. 3600 or so for the plate. (Cant remember) You get used to modulating the clutch. Youll find elevating rpm before applying clutch makes engagement smoother. After ~5k miles, I finally took it down the drag strip 7 times one night and did 2nd gear, 4wd launches. Clutch engagement is much MUCH smoother until the final grab. Drag mph vs weight says 500 hp, rowing gears. So as long as it keeps holding tight I'll be happy. Significantly less cost then the SB and Valairs of similar ratings.
I've got a full organic face, dd from them. Noisy, but no slip, ever. About 100k on it.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Wow brett your still alive! Haven't seen you on here much lately. One of the few 6.4 zf guys! And like brett said the higher rated clutches are going to be more aggressive. But if your a decent driver you can manage no problem. Backing up with a trailer is about the hardest thing you will end up doing.

Yeah, it has been a while...work, wife, kids been keeping me busy. Plus, I have decided to leave my truck alone....it has a lot of power (though there is no such thing as too much) and has been reliable so I am not going to mess with it unless it breaks and this site seems to have a strange power of drawing my wallet dry. I have been doing a good bit of competition shooting and there were a few matches near your neck of the woods but I couldn't make them for one reason or another. I plan to look you up if I am ever in north west PA.
Glad to see another long time ZF6 guy is still supportin!!!

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Yeah, it has been a while...work, wife, kids been keeping me busy. Plus, I have decided to leave my truck alone....it has a lot of power (though there is no such thing as too much) and has been reliable so I am not going to mess with it unless it breaks and this site seems to have a strange power of drawing my wallet dry. I have been doing a good bit of competition shooting and there were a few matches near your neck of the woods but I couldn't make them for one reason or another. I plan to look you up if I am ever in north west PA.
Glad to see another long time ZF6 guy is still supportin!!!
Oh I hear ya bud! If your Ever up in North east pa hit me up! I've got some tannerite and some land. And yeah this place likes my wallet too. It's hard to resist the temptation though. I'm still trying to leave my truck alone. But that's easier said than done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online