EMERGENCY: WOT sends me into Reduced Power Mode

getstuk

Reaction score
I just installed my SCT tuner with IDP tunes, also deleted cat + dpf, and no-limit intake. I keep getting REDUCED POWER MODE whenever I go WOT on my "X" tune from IDP. I am headed to Pismo tomorrow and have a lot of money invested into this trip. I am afraid there may not be anything I can do by then :(

Data trouble codes that are always on (possibly due to missing EGT sensor):
P0488 (EGR Throttle position control range / performance)
P0000 (On Board Diagnostic system readiness test not complete)

Data trouble codes that pop up under WOT (reduced engine power):
P244D (Catalyst Temperature too high during regeneration, bank 1)
P252F (Engine oil level too high)

I have NOT deleted the EGR yet but I'm told to tell my tuning device that I have regardless(!!!), so I have. One of the EGT sensors is stuck inside the DPF so I need to get that out in the morning and plug that back in, I'm hoping that will AT LEAST get rid of the EGR code. Anyone experience this? I will check my engine oil level then too, but I'll only have a few hours to sort this out before I have to tow a trailer and head out to the Pismo dunes. I appreciate your help ahead of time.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
You'll definitely need that other exhaust sensor. That may be causing all your troubles.

getstuk

Reaction score
God I hope you're right :(

I'll hopefully have it out tomorrow, I'm going to shave the nut into a square and use vice grips, it's a hell of a task getting that guy off.

powerstroke6.4

Reaction score
So i just deleted my truck a couple weeks ago and the last egt sensor sucked. I ended up clipping the wires to get a box end on it along with a cheater bar and it gave pretty quick. I then spliced the wires back and knock on wood but still no issues. You could give that a try if you haven't rounded the sensor.

Stroked777

Reaction score
When I installed my minimaxx the truck wouldn't even start without the sensors in.

That's weird seeing that h&s doesn't need sensors. But for a SCT you need all the sensors in the circut even if they aren't reading anything. Just zip tie them to the frame or wire harness

madman1234509

Reaction score
Disregard. This was when I first got my gearhead tunes. Didn't load the tunes onto the card and somehow only left the street tunes on the card when I was messing around with it. No sensors plugged in with street tunes won't let the truck start. Once I uploaded the gearhead stuff I was good to go.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Hope you get it fixed and have fun at Huckfest, post pics. Should be a wild ride.
You need all the sensors plugged in for the SCT.
Dont know if your towing or not but be careful over the grade if you are towing 15000+ on anything over the tow tune. You might start pushing through the converter depending on your gears and tires. If you can keep the RPM above about 2200 you will be fine towing that much on his street tune. The tow tune if fine to be honest.
Yes tell the SCT you have an intake, EGR delete and DPF delete.
A little head will work also if you have a propane torch.

getstuk

Reaction score
I'm towing about 9500lbs so should be good on "X" tune if I keep my foot out of it? Might change to the tow tune since this one isn't working :(

Also, I got the sensor out!!! Put some heat on it, used a large pipe wrench and somehow that bit better than my vice grips, amazing. The truck now idles properly, however I still get two codes:
P0488 (EGR Throttle position control range / performance)
P0000 (On Board Diagnostic system readiness test not complete)

And when I go WOT I get:
P252F (Engine oil level too high)

So I got rid of one of the CEL codes. I called Innovative Diesel, the rep on the phone said it sounds like the tuner needs a newer flash so they're emailing SCT to request one, I hope I can get it before tonight :( Hopefully that fixes these codes but I am skeptical, they just seem random and I don't see many with these exact CEL codes.

Thanks tbsimmons, I'll one up your request and post video! Huckfest should be awesome if I can get this sorted out, if anyone is going feel free to message me on here.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You must have the newer Ford Flash and an older SCT flash. Both mine are old.
If you select yes on the EGR, you can unplug everything and it does nothing.
P0000 you will get dont worry about that one.
Oil level high, I think they added that one when the trucks were over filling the crankcase with diesel. Check your oil obviously.
9500# you should be good. I would load the normal street though with firmer stock lock trans file. That combo is a great for towing. I have used it or the tow engine tune to tow over the grapevine, Altamont, 46, 166, 80, etc. and both are great at towing.
Just watch TC slip and back out if it starts to slip. The difference for me is on the street, no down shift, on the tow tune a downshift.
Many people outside of CA think CA is an easy pull.
Just watch the temps if the truck downshifts, ECT and EOT. They will go up. EGT you will be more than fine unless you tow with the head between your legs.

getstuk

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the detailed help. On my gas truck I didn't want my ECT to go above 180 iirc, same for my diesel? I'll load the street tune with firmer stock lock trans file. I just loaded the race tune, guess I should back it down. "X" tune is the highest tune right, and then Race, etc etc? What are the temps I should watch out for on ECT, EOT, EGT? Over 1400 on EGT? Over 180 for ECT?...

tbsimmons

Reaction score
RPM is really the biggest factor in coolant temps.
Dont get freaked out seeing people post temps climbing a "hill" at 200 degrees. Remember RPM. If you are climbing hills at under 2000 you will be cooler than if the truck downshifts and you are at 2400.
My truck will get to 225-228 ECT and 235 EOT if I am on it pretty good over 166, 46, 101 or the Grapevine and going 55-60 grossing in the area of 28000.
ECT will be over 190 all the time, thermostats. Fans will come on around 225 ECT.
EGT mine rarely sees anything over 1100 towing on the street or tow tune.
On the tunes I have not had Eric update mine in a while. I only have Stock, Tow Street, X-Street and X-Race. I have never loaded the X-Race. X-Street is a blast and have towed 7-8000 with it. Just didnt like stop and go traffic in the bay area. Street or Tow is all I use now, Tow has been in my truck for most likely over a year.

getstuk

Reaction score
Just a quick update, IDP sent replacement tunes! I just loaded them up and will be testing it out on the drive to pickup the trailer. Man I hope this fixes it.

boggerr

Reaction score
Had the same oil code. If it's anywhere above the full mark on the stick drain some out, clear the code and you should be good to go.

Lipka101

Reaction score
The egr codes I'm sure is your sensor. The high oil level codes has something do with the latest flash. I had the same issue and I got lucky that I live a mile from innovatives shop. I stopped there one day and Eric reflashed my truck with an older one and updated my tunes.
As soon as told him the code for high oil he new what it would take to fix it.
I'm sure the tunes he sent will fix it.

Last edited:

getstuk

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes they appear fixed! Pismo Beach (Huckfest) was a major success. I did get my exhaust ripped off, it wrapped around the back axle like a horseshoe and had to remove it with some finagling. The truck was a BEAST, friends were going ape**** with excitement, I raced about 5-6 people, all of them should have been caught on at least one of the gopro's so I'll post some vids. I also damaged my lower valance on my bumper.

IDP got me tunes that worked all weekend, needless to say I was extremely relieved. I did see my EGT's spike to 1750~ on one of the hill climbs and backed out of it immediately. Scared the hell out of me and I stopped racing around after that. Hope I didn't do any damage :( I get a pretty hard downshift from 4-3 right now, not sure if that's indicating a problem or not...

Huckfest was an awesome trip, heard there were some fights at the concert but the turnout was pretty cool to see looking down from the top of the hills. It was one of the best trips of the year for me. I'll post some pics and videos soon if interested.

Last edited:

getstuk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's a boost leak of some kind, the turbo is extremely loud and what I assume is the wastegate expelling air when I let off the gas makes a huge whoosh. I have the no-limit intake.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Damn man you just got it and already giving it a good ole fashion step child beating. I don't worry about egts. I pegged my gauge before and no issues. That is no waste gate. My truck does the same thing. It's vgt releasing excess back pressure I believe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.