S400 96mm wheel in a t4 housing

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
I have searched, came up empty...in running a larger s400 series, like the 475 as a single, has anyone ran the 96mm turbine wheel with a machined t4 housing? Like a .9 or 1.0 AR? Seen a few cummins guys that liked that setup a lot, better flow than the 83 or 87 wheels, without sacrificing tons of spool up in the big T6 housings. Just curious if anyone had experience on a 6.0/6.4. Thanks

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
That's the plan, several options for that, Danville makes a stainless steel v band inlet 1.0 AR turbine housing for the s400's, or FI or James Barder can machine the T4 housing out to accept the 96mm wheel, got price quotes from 300-650 for the process. Just hadn't seen anyone actually run this setup on a Powerstroke. My thinking is the 96 wheel will flow more than a 87 even in the smaller housing, hopefully with similar spool up. We'll see.

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
I think consensus on here is that a divided t4 will spool better than a vband inlet

I am curious how many people have ran both v band and t4 divided on the same AR housing, and otherwise same setup. I'm still on the fence about the Danville housing, but I'm leaning towards the 300 dollar forced inductions housing/machining.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
I thought the divided was made to keep the velocity up helping spool

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

madman1234509

Reaction score
Yea I'd think so, especially having a set up that has 2 up pipes. I'd imagine merging them into a slightly larger single pipe will slow velocity.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am curious how many people have ran both v band and t4 divided on the same AR housing, and otherwise same setup. I'm still on the fence about the Danville housing, but I'm leaning towards the 300 dollar forced inductions housing/machining.

divided.

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
Yea I'd think so, especially having a set up that has 2 up pipes. I'd imagine merging them into a slightly larger single pipe will slow velocity.

Yeah, this is true, and it could depending on tubing size. I've done a lot of volume and cross sectional calculations and I would have to say that the 3" v band inlet of the Danville housing is right in between the cross sectional area of a t4 and t6 . (3" v band has opening area of right at 7 square inches, t4 open = 5.9 sq in, t4 divided = 2.7 sq in (x2= 5.4 sq in)...and T6 divided = 4.3 sq in(x2=8.6 sq in)). So, that being said, depending on up pipe size, we'll say 2" OD tube 16gauge (~.065 wall) so an ID of 1.880" would net a cross sectional area of 2.77 sq in, which is SUPER close to t4 divided. Going to a 3" tube would loose velocity, for sure. Even t4 open would technically be a hair too big, unless up pipes were closer to a 2.13 OD/2" ID 16g.

All the cummins guys use divided turbine inlets, and I can see using the theory of evening out pulses in alternate sides of the engine based on firing order, because their firing order (153624) would mean a pulse entering one side of the housing each time a cyl fired, alternating each time (though not necessarily evenly spaced/timed...hence equal length header theory) If you look at the firing order of the 6.0/6.4, (12734568, even # is drivers side, odd is pass side), you'll see that there will be 2 pulses in a row from each bank of the engine, which kind of negates some of the reason they say to use a divided housing. I'm not saying it's wrong, and the sizing and volume of the inlet seems to be a good match for our up-pipe sizes, but I think there would be little to no gains of t4 divided over t4 open for us, but obviously divided seems it's working ok for everyone. This is all way over analyzing all of this, but in a perfect world, I would like the turbine housing inlet to be the smallest part of the system, to maximize velocity/pressure as the gases enter the housing, rather than loose velocity.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Keep in mind, many differences from a Cummins to PS....their heads flow better and the larger bore so I doubt yours will spool as fast as theirs all other things being equal. How much fuel will you be running?

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
Keep in mind, many differences from a Cummins to PS....their heads flow better and the larger bore so I doubt yours will spool as fast as theirs all other things being equal. How much fuel will you be running?

Lots of variables like that to consider, I just use cummins for example.

I am currently running 205/75's, which is very small I know, for running a 475 as a single. I'm going to be trying something a little different that should help with spool up...like 5 psi at idle. I'm not ready to get into details yet, I just started this looking for info on the turbine housing, but I'll be feeding the 475 with a pretty large procharger. There will be nay-sayers and people telling me why it won't work, and I'm not worried about that...that's why I'm not getting into all that just yet. Blower is here, I'm making brackets now. I'll be running it first with the 71 vgt I got on there, and 475 to follow. It's all on a 6.0, but I figured I'd have better luck with turbo feedback in the 6.4 section.

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
And, to give credit where it's due, I've bounced ideas off the guys at empire, who to my knowledge, were one of the first to try prochargering a 6.0/6.4/7.3. I'm just trying a few things differently than they did.

Not to detail my own thread on turbo housings any further, but this is another guy that's given me some help and ideas on going bigger with the procharger and turbo. He's from the cummins crowd, but he's got a pretty unique setup:

http://youtu.be/jBjPaGb2Hrs

Giant F3 procharger feeding an 80mm comp turbo, said he builds 60 psi off the line in less than a second. Truck runs clean, 9 sec quarters with only a light haze. Anyway, derail over, but that's the big picture of my plans for the t4 housing on a 96 wheel. I'm thinking the extra air the blower is moving in, particularly at lower rpm, might help spool the bigger turbo easier. It's an experiment.

Anyway, detail over, still open for all input on 96 wheel , t4 experience, s475-480.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online