• single s472

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • drop in 72 atmo

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stroker221

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input on which way I should go turbo wise. This truck doesn't hardly see any towing so I am NOT CONCERNED ABOUT SPOOL TIME. My main goal right now is drag racing. Its not driven at all through the winter months and during the summer it gets out occasionally. So before finds will be available (a year or so) id like to do a small upgrade to keep me content until then. Im looking at either dropping in a 72mm atmosphere charger or doing a s472 single..
My main concern with the drop in is ebp and cracking pistons. I dont believe I'd have to worry about it as much with a single. But the single is going to cost a few grand more since id need the single kit and what not. I would think the single would result in better E/T's though.

Looking to be around 12.2 1/4 mile for now. Its a sclb
Mods consist of ironhorse trans 1600 stall, bov, wastegate, sct with gearhead race file, studs, are intercooler, and 325 65 18 nittos.

What's your guys guesses for 1/4 mile times with either setup?

ingrahams

Reaction score
I would go with a single kit, you will end up with one if your focused on drag racing anyway. talk to Mike MPD, he ran a single 72 on stock fuel for awhile and put up some good numbers and times.
-Stew

ncollins64

Reaction score
^ whs. either will perform awesome. A drop in 72 will spool awesome and drive good. A single sized properly will drive good and spool good. And if you get a single kit, you can always upgrade later if you wanted and add a big atmo into the mix.

sootie

Reaction score
a drop-in is simple and cheap and will get your to your e.t goal.

if the truck is just a toy and you want big power, i would suggest a Midwest Diesel single turbo kit.

cracking pistons is hit or miss and the likelihood of that happening has little to do with the turbo choice.

Riverside

Reaction score
Single for racing.....but your 1600 stall converter might not play nice for spooling a single.

So if your leaving the converter alone I'd do the drop in 72

stroker221

Reaction score
Any guesses for 1/4 mile single 72 times?

And when I build my engine and add dual fuelers ill be using a big single. So going the single route now would get some things out of the way

sootie

Reaction score
basement 12s

ya-its a good step in the overall direction you are headed.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Lol why does everyone say "single for drag racing" . Sure it's the way to go if you're on a budget and plan on using spray all the time. Anything over a 75mm is going to be a complete turd to spool, without spray, even on the track. Which will eventually lead to a lot of inconsistency at the starting line and toasted converters from break boosting for half an hour at the line. I'm not saying singles don't have their place, but why is it "singles for drag racing" when a 75mm will make low to mid 900s with no spray, and a good set of compounds could make 1000-1100 without spray. I make high 900s to low 1000s with a cheap set of journal bearing box turbos with a stock intercooler and stock cam and no nitrous. I'd love to see what a good set of gtx chargers could do with all the supporting mods.

OP I'd say it all depends on what you want and if you're going to want to respend the money down the road. If you buy a drop in 72mm and decide to do a turbo build you're obviously not going to be able to use it. Where as if you buy a single kit you can buy an appropriately sized turbo now, and add on to it later with a bigger atmosphere turbo. Personally I'd keep it the way it is until you have the funds to do it all at once, fuel and all. Some people are disappointed with a turbo as big as a 72mm on stock fuel, some aren't.

sootie

Reaction score
cost maybe??

at least if he starts with a single he can add a big atmo later.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Cost and race application go hand in hand. Races aren't won with budget builds :p. But yes adding an atmosphere down the road will be a good option if that's what he is going for. I think on stock fuel a billet or fmw smaller charger may be a better option to look at then a 72mm. Do they make a billet 68mm?

sootie

Reaction score
Cost and race application go hand in hand. Races aren't won with budget builds :p. But yes adding an atmosphere down the road will be a good option if that's what he is going for. I think on stock fuel a billet or fmw smaller charger may be a better option to look at then a 72mm. Do they make a billet 68mm?

you're telling me?? and your still on stock bottom end... LOL

stroker221

Reaction score
I'd also like to know about a billet 68 if your all thinking a single 72 may be a tad big. I'm not opposed to add a turbo down the road if I went with a single now.

The ONLY things keeping me from going with a drop in is higher back pressure and a single just seems safer with it being 1:1. Also the top end pull of a single seems like they pull harder up top

madman1234509

Reaction score
you're telling me?? and your still on stock bottom end... LOL

Yea, you don't see me racing it do you? I drive it for what I intended it for. Not everyone has 10k+ to drop into a motor with rods a pistons. I'm 24 years old and have worked my a** off to have this truck, and the 50k that I've put into it already. Not to mention owning my own house and everything that goes with it. But hey.... top 5 fuel only, on a stock bottom end.... I'm just giving you a goal to work towards ;-)

B585Ford

Reaction score
Lol why does everyone say "single for drag racing" . Sure it's the way to go if you're on a budget and plan on using spray all the time. Anything over a 75mm is going to be a complete turd to spool, without spray, even on the track. Which will eventually lead to a lot of inconsistency at the starting line and toasted converters from break boosting for half an hour at the line. I'm not saying singles don't have their place, but why is it "singles for drag racing" when a 75mm will make low to mid 900s with no spray, and a good set of compounds could make 1000-1100 without spray. I make high 900s to low 1000s with a cheap set of journal bearing box turbos with a stock intercooler and stock cam and no nitrous. I'd love to see what a good set of gtx chargers could do with all the supporting mods.

OP I'd say it all depends on what you want and if you're going to want to respend the money down the road. If you buy a drop in 72mm and decide to do a turbo build you're obviously not going to be able to use it. Where as if you buy a single kit you can buy an appropriately sized turbo now, and add on to it later with a bigger atmosphere turbo. Personally I'd keep it the way it is until you have the funds to do it all at once, fuel and all. Some people are disappointed with a turbo as big as a 72mm on stock fuel, some aren't.

A stock bottom end is another reason to go with the single...it won't produce the low RPM torque that compounds will so there is probably a better chance the rods will hold.

stroker221

Reaction score
Not too worried about the rods , i think they should be good for no more than I plan on doing right now. Pistons scare me worse haha but it will be gated either way so hopefully it wont be too bad. Honestly I think I may go with the atmo for now seems how its quick and cheap.
Should it still be gated off an up pipe with the atmo? Or is there a better way? Also has a regulator

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.