larger injector questions

patrickpsd

Reaction score
So I had my injectors done back in 2010 and was told they were 120hp injectors. As I found more and more issues from shotty work I received from the guy who had a few things done for me I started questioning the injectors he sold me to. Pulled a couple out and had them tested. Turns out there about 20% over. Looking to go bigger but still running the single dragon fire pump. I heard someone say his single pump won't support 60s over 1.8 PW and RCDs site saids not over 1.9pw. So I was thinking maybe 50%? I'm running high power junior turbos as well. And any opinions on the 8 hole verse 6 hole injectors?

madman1234509

Reaction score
Testing done a while back. The 8 holes actually lost. Significant power compared to the 6 hole, but may have possibly given a cleaner idle. No actual evidence that the 8 hole injectors make a difference, and in my opinion, aren't worth the money. Just get 60%. Those are what's readily available. Run them at 1.9 or whatever you prefer. Depending on your set up, 1.9 may even be too smokey for you. I'd suggest going dual pumps though.

patrickpsd

Reaction score
Not worried at all about smokey. Want the extra fuel for nitrous. My issue is that my injectors now with custom tines I have for 60% injectors that are 1.9pw tunes are 650ish HP and other tunes that are 2.26pw are 740ish. So if I'm stuck at 1.9pw to hold full rail pressure with a single I'm still proly going to be around that 740ish HP number and not have gained anything. Don't really want dual pumps. 60s are more readily avalible but RCD can make my nozzles whatever I want so that's why I was thnkig 50s and I could push the PW a little higger

madman1234509

Reaction score
What's the difference between 60% nozzles at 1.9ms or 50% nozzles at lets say 2.1ms? Say that those numbers are what each nozzle drains rail pressure at. At that point it's your injection pump limiting your power, not the nozzle. I'm not sure I get what you think you're gaining by using a 10% smaller nozzle and a slightly higher pulse width?

I'd say. If you're able to drain rail pressure on a 2.26 pulse width tune, with the nozzles you have now, there is no sense in going to bigger nozzles. If you're not draining rail pressure, maybe you should get tunes written for the nozzles you have, including a 2.4ms tune.

patrickpsd

Reaction score
Ya I don't drain rail pressure with the tunes I have now it still holds full rail pressure. That's kind of what I was thinking is I might be better off staying with what I have or if there is advantages going bigger. I know there's more to tuning then just pw. One tune at 2.0pw I made 729/1535 and on a tune with 2.26pw I made 742/1495. But yet another tune with 2.26 PW I made 713/1340. So is there advantages to larger injectors and proper tunning with lower PW verse trying push my injectors harder?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you can use a smaller pw to inject the same amount of fuel, then you can run higher rpm's with lower egt's compared to smaller nozzles.

though to make any use of the above mentioned scenario, you need a motor set up for the extra rpm's.

the flip side, is if you can inject more fuel in a shorter window, you can lower your egt's in your current rpm range, though more smokey generally goes hand in hand with that scenario.

but i'm with madman. to stick with the pump you have, realistically you can't go much above a 30% nozzle to have free-reign over pw. 60% takes some picky tuning to find out what YOUR pump and YOUR nozzles will allow for pw. to make full use of the nozzles your considering, you really should consider duals.

patrickpsd

Reaction score
I know 60s are pick with single pump but are 30s really max or what about 40s or 50s? I know that's not a comman size but can have them made. Would 50s help the running issue over 60s?

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're stuck on having some made. I'm not sure if it costs any extra to have a special size made, but I don't think you'll see a huge benefit running 50s over running 30s or 60a. 50s will probably drain rail pressure up high just like 60s. I'd say run 30s, and get tuning to support it and be able to run as much pw as you want with out draining, or get 60s with the proper tuning and deal with running a slightly lower pulse width. Guys have made over 800 with a single pump and 60s. I'm sure 60s at 1.9 pulse width still has a ton of fuel left over to run nitrous if that's what you're looking for. You need a pretty decent size set of turbos to clean that up

Dzchey21

Reaction score
just do 60% and never look back. IMHO There are 3 injector choices for 6.4s

STOCK
60%
100%

No need for anything else.

patrickpsd

Reaction score
I don't want dual fueler and 30s don't seem worth the money over mine that are tested out ato bout 20s. So guess I'll just stick with them then. Its not any more money to have them made to whatever I want so if I could get away with 40-45-50s and get more out of my setup I would but if 30s are all a modded single can support fully don't think 10% is worth the hassle

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'd just run 60s with tuning to not drop rail pressure.... What Dustin said is pretty true. Tuning has come so far and smoke can be controlled so well that there isn't much reason to go smaller than 60%. Only thing I can think of if it's strictly a tow rig and that's it.

Reaction score
Do new 60%. Idk who or where your getting custom nozzles from. But I would seriously consider either extruding stock nozzles or new 60%'s if I were in your situation.

I've tuned dragonfires at 2.1 with 60%'s or 2.4 with 30%'s if they are healthy it works fine and holds good pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrickpsd

Reaction score
RCD said they can make anything and if I go 60s even they would be extrude honed from my stock. But elites original injectors were either 60hp or 110hp which is basicly 30% or 50% so Idk why 50s seem so strange to everyone tho I see now on elites site there 50s are 8 hole which it seems everyone saids to stay away from. But if you have tuned 60s up to 2.1 with no issues it makes me feel better about them. I like hearing personal info like that not just opinions and he said she said

morgan.primm.3

Reaction score
If your getting factory injectors gone out that's ok. I would not re-hone injectors that were already 20% over. If your buying nozzles then buy just new 60% nozzles. I don't see any reason not to hone stock nozzles. But if yours are not stock now then it's not worth the risk vs buying brand new performance nozzles.

The reason for staying 60% is to stay with a common size that most any tuner already has tunes setup for. Odd size nozzles may cause issues getting tuning perfect.

patrickpsd

Reaction score
Hmm that's good to know about not honning my already modified injectors. Didn't know that would be an issue. The body's only have 43000 miles on them and the nozzle maybe 10 to 15000. I dont think it will be an issue tunning odd size injectors cause I plan on some actually live tunning next but will proly just go 60s since you haven't had any issues with the single pump up to 2.1 I've just heard some ppl say 1.9 aand 1 persons say 1.8 and just didn't want to be the restricted.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've done for many trucks. 2.1 ipw with 60% seems to work well. I haven't done it in a while. If you need any I can set you up with a new set of 60's if you don't have any there.

I don't know what tapatalks deal is with my username on the previous posts.

Latest posts

Members online