Dorman Bellowed Up Pipes... (Problem)

ToMang07

Reaction score
Any of you experience leaks at the bellow side where the gaskets go? (Under the collector?)

I am definitely leaking exhaust, EGTs are high and boost is lower than it should be, and I can smell exhaust. The metal gaskets they came with are in place but I suspect not working.

Anybody have this or similar problem? Not looking forward to pulling the top end apart AGAIN to try and fix the problem.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Can you see exhaust gases around the gasket? With new up-pipes the area should be very clean and very easy to see. We haven't use many sets, but I know DieselSite pushes their up-pipes pretty hard with good success. I do know though, that they generally change out the hardware before they go out the door just to ensure quality.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Can you see exhaust gases around the gasket? With new up-pipes the area should be very clean and very easy to see. We haven't use many sets, but I know DieselSite pushes their up-pipes pretty hard with good success. I do know though, that they generally change out the hardware before they go out the door just to ensure quality.

It's hard to see, but it looks like it's coming from the flange under the collector. I had put the up pipes/pedestal/turbo on the motor while it was out and everything looked good, the screws can't bottom out because they are drilled all the way through. Other than that, I did use the provided hardware. I had thought at the time that those metal gaskets looked really crappy/cheap.

psduser1

Reaction score

It's hard to see, but it looks like it's coming from the flange under the collector. I had put the up pipes/pedestal/turbo on the motor while it was out and everything looked good, the screws can't bottom out because they are drilled all the way through. Other than that, I did use the provided hardware. I had thought at the time that those metal gaskets looked really crappy/cheap.
I needed a set in a hurry, ended up getting a set of dormant that only had one of the gaskets. Just matched the size up with a random exhaust gasket on the shelf. Bolted the top end together tight on top, and tightened the bottom once the turbo was bolted in. Seems to be doing ok, but I've only got about a thousand miles on it, so far. Fingers crossed.:toast:

Arisley

Reaction score
It's Dorman, it has to be crap. Everything I have ever used that said Dorman on it was total CRAP. I bet they could *** up a hammer.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine have been great. 50k miles no issues. I cut the bolts on mine as they were too long. Cut them, cleaned them with a die and not one single issue.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, took the top end apart and removed the bolts between the up-pipes and manifolds....turns out the leak was the collector was off just enough I could get the clamp on, but obviously not get a proper seal. Re-hooked it all up yesterday and 10x better, boost is back and the truck has a bunch more pep. Idiot error unfortunately, but an easy fix, luckily.

ToMang07

Reaction score
It's Dorman, it has to be crap. Everything I have ever used that said Dorman on it was total CRAP. I bet they could *** up a hammer.

I hear you....but I didn't have $450 for up-pipes, especially after all I spent on parts/paint.

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
FYI

I put Dorman's on the wife's a couple of weeks ago... $160 on Amazon vs $450 for Int. I did International on mine a couple of years ago. They seemed ok out of the box, and the holes are drilled all the way thru like said above.

Now during the installation I did have a bit of hell getting the collector "babies butt" lined up with the turbo it was about a 1/2" off (rotated) at rest and about 1/8" off to get the pin in when I tried to get it on (had the manafold bolts as loose as they could be). I ended up loosening the turbo up a little to get it on. I didn't have any issue with the international...

So would I spend the extra for Int ones if I had to do it again... No unless that suddenly fail for some reason. The Price is just out of wack for two pieces of pipes, piece of cast iron, gaskets and a few bolts...

Travis

Last edited:

JD3020

Reaction score
I think i got the Dormans for $140 shipped, they've been in my 450 for a while now with no issues at all.

^It was a bitch though trying to get the collector and turbine lined up, i ended up loosening the bolts at the manifold so i could line it up with the turbo, and then just used the bottom bolts to draw it back together. I did swap all the bolts out for Ford hardware though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had zero problems. But i didnt expect them to crawl out of the boxand install themselves LOL

psduser1

Reaction score
I had zero problems. But i didnt expect them to crawl out of the boxand install themselves LOL

Then you haven't spent enough time training them, ty. I sit in the chair with a glass of scotch and order them in. Dam things jump right up in there.:toast:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who had issues lining that sucker up, lol

I actually completely disconnected the up-piped from the manifolds, disconnected the turbo, and then put the collector on. Had to force the up-pipes back into place to get them back onto the manifolds, but that was easier than trying to line that ***ker up connected.

Where are yall buying these? I think im gonna give em a try on the obs when I swap my motor

I got it on Advance with a discount code, somewhere around $150 shipped.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.