dodge comparison

stroker221

Reaction score
Looking for an answer as to why in any dodge tranny behind a Cummins puts you back in your seat during tc lockup & going into o/d so much more than 4r's, 5r's and anything else?... Is it the overall mass and size of dodge converters? Basically stock and most definitely "built" ones do this. You know what I'm talking about if you've ridden in one before. Even at light throttle they have these characteristics. My only reasoning behind this would be differences in converter, converter locking up in a much much quicker time, and possibly o/d ratio...

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have never really thought about it. Could be many things like tuning.
If they are bring the RPM up high enough to be out of the torque curve and the TC locks and the RPM drops you back to peak torque, that would do it. From what I have read is the the tuners for the Dodges, unless custom, dont tune the trans so the shift points would be the same as stock.
I know with some of the tuners with the 6.4's they get you into high gear and TC locked as soon as possible so you are in the torque curve all the time. I have not looked into the Dodge TC but I doubt they are any heavier or much different than the 5R. Anything bigger in diameter would most likely mean lock up size.

BOSS450

Reaction score
Any race file for a 4R or 5r locks the tq in 2nd. 47,48s don't lock up until the last gear unless you have a lockup switch

stroker221

Reaction score
I have never really thought about it. Could be many things like tuning.
If they are bring the RPM up high enough to be out of the torque curve and the TC locks and the RPM drops you back to peak torque, that would do it. From what I have read is the the tuners for the Dodges, unless custom, dont tune the trans so the shift points would be the same as stock.
I know with some of the tuners with the 6.4's they get you into high gear and TC locked as soon as possible so you are in the torque curve all the time. I have not looked into the Dodge TC but I doubt they are any heavier or much different than the 5R. Anything bigger in diameter would most likely mean lock up size.

I'm sure they do exactly that. For example just cruising light throttle it falls off the curve around 1800 then locks drops rpms and starts pulling hard without any change in acceleration. I'm sure that's all it is. Its dropping rpms to where it makes its torque. Makes sense

stroker221

Reaction score
Idk about you but any time my truck locks up it definitely throws me back into my seat, light throttle or not.

Wish I could of taken a ride during TS. Haven't had a chance to ride in any other 6.4's. Would like to see how some well built 5r's differ from mine.

stroker221

Reaction score
Any race file for a 4R or 5r locks the tq in 2nd. 47,48s don't lock up until the last gear unless you have a lockup switch

"]QUOTE=BOSS450;1260316]Any race file for a 4R or 5r locks the tq in 2nd. "

Only at WOT from what I understand. If not at WOT, it wont lock until after third.

47's at least lock in third I'm pretty sure of.

Reaction score
"]QUOTE=BOSS450;1260316]Any race file for a 4R or 5r locks the tq in 2nd. "

Only at WOT from what I understand. If not at WOT, it wont lock until after third.

47's at least lock in third I'm pretty sure of.

47/48re dodge trans are 30 year old technology. 5R110 is fully electronic so the lockup and shifts are controlled to give a nice feel for when the truck is being used as a grocery getter.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yup, if you WANT, you can make the converter absolutely rattle your teeth on lockup, S wrap the leaf springs on every part throttle shift, etc.

But good tuning only bangs the gears really hard at WOT. The first time you mash it on a big race tune prior to relearn, it REALLY hammers.

stroker221

Reaction score
I was thinking that if the main reason is because our converters slip longer creating a smooth "grocery getter" feel that if that it was tuned out to give a much more solid lock up, it would or could expand the life time of the converter. I'm just a curious guy, I'm not saying it would be better by any means. Only thinking.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yes, you want the converter to engage quickly to cut down on wear but you don't need to be earth shattering at light throttle

it all depends on tuning

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I will post up what a triple disk and built tranny feels like. Morgan shipped mine. Should have it in the truck in about a week. My stock TC was still "good". It would only slip very little and it locked pretty good.

stroker221

Reaction score
I will post up what a triple disk and built tranny feels like. Morgan shipped mine. Should have it in the truck in about a week. My stock TC was still "good". It would only slip very little and it locked pretty good.

I'd like to see that vid when u get I done. I'd really like to ride in a truck with 700+ hp and a solid trans. Maybe ill find someone at scheid in a few weeks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.