Big Power 6.4 guys. Transmission ???

BeauxPete

Reaction score
For the 7th time I'm going to have to rebuild my transmission. This will be the first time with my high hp setup, all the other times were on the stock setup. Yeah. It's been a nightmare. I already have all of the billet parts on the inside. I would like to know what clutches and steels you are running and what seems to work the best. Hard parts are fine it's the clutches that are gone. Going to go back with a new ford solenoid pack. I know some of you have had better luck than others once you reach the 800+hp mark and I'm curious to what your running. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
My suncoast has been great.. with that said it's there being rebuilt now. Billet flexplate broke pushing the converter in the pump ruining both, smoking the clutches along the way according to suncoast. I assume the clutches went from low pressure as the pump was damaged, I could not get the converter out of the pump even with pry bars.
Their website calls them red eagle clutches and kolene steels, I am not a transmission man for sure, but mine has been great for 40+k miles over 800hp.

sootie

Reaction score
i struggled with transmissions repeatedly until i finally bit the bullet and had Morgan @ Midwest Diesel work his magic on it. One of the most favourite mods i ever did. i swear the truck was faster too...

its not just what hard parts you put in but how you work the pump and how good the tunes are.

ahremet input shaft (300m is no good), billet everything else, raybestos GPZ clutches, new solenoid packs, precision or dpc convertor. The secret is then the pump work and the other builders tricks that don't get talked about.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
Morgan's work and customer service are top notch. Save yourself the trouble and give him a call.

BeauxPete

Reaction score
I've been talking to Morgan about his pump. Will be getting that for sure. Looks like the GPZ's are the common in most everybody's kits so I'll get with Morgan on those as well.

Stroked777

Reaction score
If it was me (and it's my plan for my build) I would build that trans to hold as much as possible, billet everything, and upgraded disks. I plan on a goal of 800hp but I'm going to build my trans with every billet part I can

ncollins64

Reaction score
I'm with these guys. Morgans comp trans is just bad a$$ and will hold big power and laugh at it. It really makes a difference and it was probably my favorite mod as well

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When I bought my trans from Morgan we discussed a lot about them along with many other things. One of the things I dont see mentioned is tuning. If you have bad tuning, nothing in the trans is free from breaking. Some tuners break more stuff than others and it has nothing to do with HP.

BeauxPete

Reaction score
Was running Erics tuning since my new build. I'm working with ******** on getting new tunes that I will go with once I get this trans rebuilt. Just frustrating to not even get to play with this build and I've had nothing but issue after issue.

madman1234509

Reaction score
We used the elite competition kit in my trans, clutches looked perfect after a little over 10000 miles. Tons of 4th and 5th gear wot pulls. I think as long as you have a reputable shop build it it with a good kit you'll be fine. If you've had a ton of issues burning the clutches you need to figure out why, pump, solenoids, JD just had a minor imperfection in one of the surfaces in his trans that caused issues. The new GPZ clutches are supposed to be top notch.

BeauxPete

Reaction score
I really would like to just go back with a brand new housing and valve body but can't swing that right now. I may try to hunt a housing down or a trans that's bad from somewhere and start over. The shop I used the first time really screwed me over. I didn't get what I paid for and broke hard parts which led to all the other failures due to their incompetence on cleaning and replacing parts after the break. It's been a loooonnnnngggg battle with this trans. Just ready to get this thing right to were I can enjoy it.

BeauxPete

Reaction score
I'm going to build this next one. Take my time and use the resource I have here in town now. The cat that used to work at Suncoast and knows the ins and outs of the ford trans is working at a local shop. I'm sure I can get him to come help with a little $$$$ persuasion. Lol

08Monster

Reaction score
I'm going to build this next one. Take my time and use the resource I have here in town now. The cat that used to work at Suncoast and knows the ins and outs of the ford trans is working at a local shop. I'm sure I can get him to come help with a little $$$$ persuasion. Lol

I'm going to be building my trans as well. I'm sorry, but I can justify spending 8k+ on a trans. Aint no way.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have built everything on a vehicle other than an automatic transmission. I am sure I can do it but for many reasons I dont. One main one, I dont know the tricks. Also FYI research Suncoast Transmission in these trucks, not the rebuild kit, the transmissions I am sure you will be surprised what you find.

08Monster

Reaction score
I have built everything on a vehicle other than an automatic transmission. I am sure I can do it but for many reasons I dont. One main one, I dont know the tricks. Also FYI research Suncoast Transmission in these trucks, not the rebuild kit, the transmissions I am sure you will be surprised what you find.
What do you mean by that?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Just meaning that not everyone that says they can build a tranny can. I have been through transmissions for gas engines from people that say they can build them, first launch say good by to clutches or TC.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Alto makes really nice kits they have the red eagle frictions and Colene steels. Depending on the trans they have extra clutches and steels added to certain spots if it is needed. I prefer red eagles and stock steels, the colenes have a nasty coating on them and I can't see how that is good for the clutches. I used a brown disc for my die grinder and sanded all the coating off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Alto makes really nice kits they have the red eagle frictions and Colene steels. Depending on the trans they have extra clutches and steels added to certain spots if it is needed. I prefer red eagles and stock steels, the colenes have a nasty coating on them and I can't see how that is good for the clutches. I used a brown disc for my die grinder and sanded all the coating off.

They suck. i roached my red altos in 2500 mi.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Must have been a problem with your tuning or trans. I know a ton of people with high HP/tq applications that never had a problem. My focus with a 4f27e auto high stall HD billet input and converter, haven't roasted them yet.

swinky

Reaction score
Must have been a problem with your tuning or trans. I know a ton of people with high HP/tq applications that never had a problem. My focus with a 4f27e auto high stall HD billet input and converter, haven't roasted them yet.

Please tell me you didn't just compare a focus to a 8000lb truck making as much tq as your car weighs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.