someone school me on garrets please

Nick284

Reaction score
im looking to swap from my 467 to a ball bearing single. ive been reading and researching trying to figure out which one would work for me but catching a snag. garrets numbers are a little different, i figured most of it out but the trim etc. part. im looking at a 4088r, 4094r, and a 4294r. basically looking for the same size as my 467 but in a garret charger. any advise will go a long way if anyone has ran these, but i dont think many are out there

08Monster

Reaction score
Cody@ATP has a garret on his truck. Hopefully he will chime in. I was interested in running one also.

Nick284

Reaction score
i saw that. seems the 4088 is sweet. i was thinking i wanted more air then that but the next step up is the 4294 and thats bigger then what i run now. my other option seems too small and only flows 80 a min, (4094r). does everyone actually feel the ball bearing spools faster? love my truck but if this is true il love it even more now ha

Radioflyer

Reaction score
The 4088R would be considered similar to a S365 and the 4094 like a S367, But they have larger turbine wheels. 77mm versus a 73mm. So they're kinda in the middle from a s300 and a s400 series charger. GT4294R is the GT42 series housing and would be closest to a swap from your s467 you have currently but the smallest iirc is a 70mm compressor (GT4294). Only problem is without going to a custom housing, you cannot get it smaller than a 1.0 A/R versus the .90 a/r that you're currently running. Personally, I don't think it would be much of a fair trade off if you went that route, but luckily I have the ability to have a turbine housing made that can be taken down below the 1.0 a/r and make it better driving as a single. I've contemplated this multiple times it just adds cost to the already spendy GTX chargers.

I'm currently running a GTX4088R and I enjoy the heck outta it on stock fuel. And it does noticeably come on quicker than my 66 did.

Last edited:

Nick284

Reaction score
is there enough power behind it with the 4088r? im only worried about down sizing and not having it "kick" like my 467. what does the 4088 flow? i guess im kinda in a tough spot since i want an s400 but better spool ha. and i couldnt go 4294 with that big of houing, dont think that will be good for me!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
It's not going to have the top end pull that a larger frame charger will IMO. I haven't thrown a ton of fuel to mine yet so I haven't really seen the end of the road of my GTX yet on stock fuel. For where I'm at, I really enjoy it. LOL

I'm running the GTX wheel in my 4088R, and here is what the flow chart for it:
GTX4088R%20Compressor%20Map%20web_zps54n8hh9m.jpg

And a GTX4294R:
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i371/TSND_888/GTX4294R-Compressor-Map_zpsaudetglp.jpg

Nick284

Reaction score
sooo... the 4094 is where id probly want to be then.. more flow then the 4088 but should spool faster then my 467 due to ball bearing setup? and still be pretty comparable for power. some people say its a myth and some swear they do spool faster. i believe the 4094 only comes in a 1.0 housing tho, could not be tight enough for spooling. its also exspensive ha. i dont mind spending some money if i know its going to light faster, id be pumped!!

Nick284

Reaction score
i need a sound clip of this gtx if possible ha... heard it on several trucks from youtube but no powerstrokes. sounds crazy!!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
sooo... the 4094 is where id probly want to be then.. more flow then the 4088 but should spool faster then my 467 due to ball bearing setup? and still be pretty comparable for power. some people say its a myth and some swear they do spool faster. i believe the 4094 only comes in a 1.0 housing tho, could not be tight enough for spooling. its also exspensive ha. i dont mind spending some money if i know its going to light faster, id be pumped!!
No the 4094 isn't going to flow the air that your 467 will. It will spool faster but it doesn't quite flow 80lbs/min where as you flow closer to 85lbs/min like the GTX4088R

I have been toying the the idea with going to a bigger A/r to see how it spools and gain a little top end, but i'm up here in nose bleed area where it air is thin. LOL

If your wanting to stay in the larger frame, and your elevation, the 1.01 on the GTX4294 MIGHT just work out.

Big question is though what are you using the truck for?

Stock fuel?

Last edited:

Nick284

Reaction score
i dont use the truck for anything other then pull the sled trailer during winter. other then that i just beat on it all week long when i feel like it and i did a sled pull this year. just want the most power out of a single on stock fuel with decent spool. isnt too bad right now but if i can get a touch better spool with same power id love the truck! i was thinking adding fuel but will probly hold off for now. id probly go 4294 if the housing was smaller? it worries me, but i dont know how these garrets react so cant really say. the 4094 i figure will be best since it flows more then the 4088 but less the the 467 with better spool. im just thinking out loud but im interested in making a move for the better. btw, i can get a 4294r for 2200$... great deal

HOOV3R

Reaction score
i dont use the truck for anything other then pull the sled trailer during winter. other then that i just beat on it all week long when i feel like it and i did a sled pull this year. just want the most power out of a single on stock fuel with decent spool. isnt too bad right now but if i can get a touch better spool with same power id love the truck! i was thinking adding fuel but will probly hold off for now. id probly go 4294 if the housing was smaller? it worries me, but i dont know how these garrets react so cant really say. the 4094 i figure will be best since it flows more then the 4088 but less the the 467 with better spool. im just thinking out loud but im interested in making a move for the better. btw, i can get a 4294r for 2200$... great deal

If you plan on staying stock fuel, the 467 is a little overkill. For that price, that is going to be a GT, not a GTX. Honestly for the price, I would look into a SXE369.

Chris.v

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, looking at garret options. I'm trying to get the most power out of a single without killing drivability. The new BW 369 is looking like it may be the ticket. Spools like a 66 and flows as much as a 467. Unless I've read false information. Not to mention its a lot cheaper then any Garrett options. I want to add a pump and 60's in the future.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how these S369's do as well compared to the S366.

I noticed an instant difference in spool up versus my 66 with the GTX charger.

Nick284

Reaction score
guy on here has a used one but never used for about 2200, its a gtx. i almost bought a pump last week to start preparing for a build but then second guessed. 369 does sound interesting, the garret sounds sweet too. 467 is over kill but room to go up, and it does drive decent. thats why i figured same size with ball bearing would be perfect since it should spool faster but same power. idk guess im in a tight situation the way im thinking ha

Nick284

Reaction score
maybe im over looking "bigger is better" and not thinking driveability. since i never ran anything else im not sure how much spool difference there is etc.. maybe im missing out on fun with such a big charger when i could step down, have almost the same power and easier driving? thats what im thinking currently lol

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Oh no I completely understand, driving a large frame S467 or something like that is a whole different animal. LOL

What's all done to your transmission?

I was in the same situation as you when I decided to go single. After playing with the 71, then stepping down to a 66, and now my GTX, I've realized sometimes drive-ability is a little more important to me. LOL

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Hey Cody, did you ever run the H&S single? What elevation are you at and how would you say the GTX spools compared to stock with stock fuel/trans? Trying to decide which route to go as I will be living between 6k and 7200' for the next year. Might also just do a 76 atmo.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Hey Cody, did you ever run the H&S single? What elevation are you at and how would you say the GTX spools compared to stock with stock fuel/trans? Trying to decide which route to go as I will be living between 6k and 7200' for the next year. Might also just do a 76 atmo.

No, i've never ran one with mine but a buddy has one and I drove it but it wasn't for very long at all. So it's hard to give a good comparison between the two. First impression was it drove well for a single. He was in a stock trans and stock fuel truck with H&S calibration files. I'm stock fuel, but I have a higher stall converter also. I can only give a true comparison between my s371, s366, and stockers. I really like my single over the stock chargers for the fun factor, and I can still tow and what not. But you do have to change the way you drive and play with the tuning to get it dialed in.

If you're wanting something to drop in and go without messing with anything else besides some minor tuning tweaks, a drop in atmo is going to be hard to beat at your elevation IMO.

Nick284

Reaction score
my trans is fully built with suncoast other then a flex plate. spent alot of money there lol. yea see theres my problem, i love when the 467 hits, gnarly. i dont want to loose power lol but better driving would be nice. so i was thinking a decent size ball bearing would help. now im just researching everything and making myself think too much!

plus i read the 369 flows like 95/min. sounds good to me

Latest posts

Members online