Way too much smoke...

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
I have a 08 6.4 with a job 3 motor, mishimoto radiator, h&s tuner, a batmowheel on the stock low pressure charger, 4 in downpipe to 5 in, intake horn and all stock otherwise. I have a 72 from elite waiting to go in and I recently purchased a banks double shot water meth kit, and hopes of studs and a high pressure 59. I haze pretty bad cruising and seems like I have way too much smoke on the low tune. Think these mods will help cool it down and reduce smoke?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a 08 6.4 with a job 3 motor, mishimoto radiator, h&s tuner, a batmowheel on the stock low pressure charger, 4 in downpipe to 5 in, intake horn and all stock otherwise. I have a 72 from elite waiting to go in and I recently purchased a banks double shot water meth kit, and hopes of studs and a high pressure 59. I haze pretty bad cruising and seems like I have way too much smoke on the low tune. Think these mods will help cool it down and reduce smoke?

******** MCC tuning will help massively , and the elite atmo will help alot as well .

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
Also, this problem is unrelated I would assume but whenever I let off the throttle and cruise down from highway speeds to 30 and get back into the transmission kind of neutral revs up to about 3k them slams fricken hard into whatever gear (assuming 3).
Thanks again for help

6.4f350

Reaction score
My trans would give me the rev slam issue occasionally, ever since I put in the upgraded solenoids and changed the fluid it hasn't happened. Knock on wood.

Kind

Reaction score
I found adjusting the injection duration to be a lot better at controlling smoke then the LBF tables. Anytime a truck is producing heavy black smoke it's because your injectors are over feeding the turbos at that particular throttle input and injection pressure. However if your injectors aren't pushing the turbos hard enough it will also smoke to much.

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
Currently it's just the tune from H&S on the HD300 stock. And I believe LBF is 3... IBe heard a lot about mcc tuning being the way to go and I'm a little frightened about messing with the tuning in my own. I will hopefully get into Hallers with in the next week if I can ever get a call back from them lol. Maybe they can tell me about the solenoid.... Pretty sure tranny fluid was changed when the last new motor was put in 30k~ ago

ckrueg

Reaction score
Really low boost fueling doesn't affect hazing and smoke at light throttle. If you look at the tables it really just acts as a max fuel allowed at a certain boost. So it really only comes into play at high throttle positions

sootie

Reaction score
Really low boost fueling doesn't affect hazing and smoke at light throttle. If you look at the tables it really just acts as a max fuel allowed at a certain boost. So it really only comes into play at high throttle positions

Wrong.
it comes into play any time you are applying throttle when boost is under 15psi.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Wrong.
it comes into play any time you are applying throttle when boost is under 15psi.
Where did you get the 15 psi number? If you look at the tables in mcc the boost numbers go from 0 to 36. The numbers in the cells are fuel mass numbers and on lbf 3 they start at 50 ish mm^3. That is about 40 percent of max fuel. I've run tunes with different lbf values and they all smoke the same at light throttle.
Wrong.

sootie

Reaction score
Where did you get the 15 psi number? If you look at the tables in mcc the boost numbers go from 0 to 36. The numbers in the cells are fuel mass numbers and on lbf 3 they start at 50 ish mm^3. That is about 40 percent of max fuel. I've run tunes with different lbf values and they all smoke the same at light throttle.

an H&S tech posted that in their forum when it was still active.

i guess i have experimented with different lbf levels. throttle tip in at any rpm is smokier the higher you have lbf set.

besides, the turbos spool better with less fuel anyway :shrug:

ckrueg

Reaction score
an H&S tech posted that in their forum when it was still active.

i guess i have experimented with different lbf levels. throttle tip in at any rpm is smokier the higher you have lbf set.

besides, the turbos spool better with less fuel anyway :shrug:
Hmmm ok that's interesting to know. I wish there was a better way of getting info on some of the parameters in mcc than guess and check or speculation.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Your truck should not haze going down the highway on H&S tunes, you have something going on.

Possible EBP sensor or defective VGT.

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
VGT is fine, I've checked that by unplugging the connector going into while at an idle. I have not checked the EBP... Can you inform where it is?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Working on it! I have a 72 from Elite and am looking for time to get it in then get the truck over to hallers and see what kind of tune they can get me set up with

EBP sensor and tube is on the driverside, you will see it when you look down at the back side of the valve cover. Clean the tube out, clean or just buy a new sensor.

How does the exhaust sound at idle like a hair drier or a deep rumble?

footlong70

Reaction score
x2 On the something else is wrong. Not a tuning issue because the hd300 does not smoke cruising down the highway at constant speed. Sounds like a boost or an up-pipe leak. Even when your totally confident nothing is leaking, something tends to be leaking.... Seen it so-o many times. The only real way to check imo is by pressure testing from the lp turbo inlet against the pistons with the engine off. Then you get a total idea of the boost side of things. I've seen significant leaks from intake manifold to heads, bolt holes in the intake manifold, turbo crossover piping, turbo compressor cover o-ring, boots (not tight enough, hard to see rips), v bands, pipe ports missing plugs, ect... As far as the exhaust side I'm sure you already know to look for soot, but even then its very easy to miss or not see anything out of the ordinary.

Latest posts

Members online