6.4 cams

Bigsexy

Reaction score
What cams doe everyone run in the 6.4s for a mild build? I'll know more this week but if my motor ends up being trashed I'd like to rebuild it and throw a set of pistons and possibly a cam. My goals only gonna be around 800hp some day so I'm not planning anything crazy I'd need rods and such for. What kind of difference would I see in doing a cam?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Rcd just came out with some billet ones, you can't go over a stage 2 in most cases without fly cutting,

Btw I have a brand new rcd stage 2 billet I'll sell for 675 shipped if you wanted it

madman1234509

Reaction score
This subject has been beat to death. People claim there are gains, but there has never been a back to back comparison of stock vs aftermarket. Personally if you're only doing a mild build and only looking for 800hp I'd throw push rods, and rcd valve springs in it and run it. Plenty of people including myself making big power on a stock cam.... I know some others have much different opinions then I do though.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I did some searching but didn't come up with much info on differences. If I do this go round will be just a motor build and I'll be able to see if there's a difference

jester2011

Reaction score
It was my understanding that with the aftermarket cam help to evacuate exhaust to cut down on drive pressure

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bigsexy

Reaction score
See and to me that would be worth it. Not so much a "hp" gain but if it just helps make her run better I'd think it would be worth the upgrade. I just haven't found a whole lot of info on them

sootie

Reaction score
the reason there are few back to back results is because it is such a huge job to swap the cam and do nothing else while youre in there.

i did a stage 1 regrind and it spooled biggers chargers better than stock cam/stock charger.

you will also notice that the torque curve starts sooner on the graph.

Reaction score
I agree.

This subject has been beat to death. People claim there are gains, but there has never been a back to back comparison of stock vs aftermarket. Personally if you're only doing a mild build and only looking for 800hp I'd throw push rods, and rcd valve springs in it and run it. Plenty of people including myself making big power on a stock cam.... I know some others have much different opinions then I do though.

If you guys can wait for a little bit... about 3 weeks or so........... we will have back to back results on just a our cam change . Thats it! no pistons no anything just cam. As far as the other cams there is a little improvement on the longevity side of things ... Like a smoother ramp off the base circle to help lifters live longer.

We are going to spend a lot of time and money this next month on camshaft development. The testing results will be on my reg cab truck we have a baseline before the cam and we will have test data after the cam change. These will be for a stock head design.
We will also have a different profile for ported heads and valve reliefs to follow in about first of the year.

There will be a thread started on this very soon just need more time to do so ......:biggun:

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the 6.4 game, however I did a lot of research when it came time to Cam the red truck. I will tell you if I could go back to the first 3 times we built the motor, I would have but a cam in it hands down. For the simple reason of drive ability. the stage 2 we put in this last go around was hands down the best upgrade we did. I originally didn't put one in years ago because there was no "HP Gains" with it, but looking at it now, power curve is much more consistent. we made very consistent dyno pulls this year with the truck

Black AOD

Reaction score
Elite 1x Here.

Jared R. when he still worked at RCD said they did cam only changes and observed better spool up (which I agree with) cooler temps and a better power-band curve where the truck wouldn't fall off at certain RPM.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I have a Dynamic Diesel cam in mine. No clue if it does anything but he claims that they are reground with a smoother ramp to help the lifters live longer like mentioned above. That's good enough for me if there's any truth to that.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I wasn't looking for power gains but more so temps, curve, and range of power to benefit more from mods later

sonic blue l

Reaction score
mine is probably pretty typical for most guys that don't have an infinite bank account.

I put a stage 2 colt cam in my truck and I wouldn't do an engine without. it has less turbo lag then a 6.7. I feel no turbo lag. truck seems to run cool, and goes well. truck has stock fuel, home ported intake manifold with stands removed, Hamilton springs, rcd pushrods, rcd 72 atmo, ih pistons (not cut, not coated). stock exhaust manifolds and up pipes. truck has no smoke on cold starts. (hear of cut pistons in trucks in the area haze like crazy until they warm up)

my truck is not a drag truck, just a typical all around truck that I use to pull my holiday trailer with and when not hooked up I can still have some fun with if I like.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I agree.

If you guys can wait for a little bit... about 3 weeks or so........... we will have back to back results on just a our cam change . Thats it! no pistons no anything just cam. As far as the other cams there is a little improvement on the longevity side of things ... Like a smoother ramp off the base circle to help lifters live longer.

We are going to spend a lot of time and money this next month on camshaft development. The testing results will be on my reg cab truck we have a baseline before the cam and we will have test data after the cam change. These will be for a stock head design.
We will also have a different profile for ported heads and valve reliefs to follow in about first of the year.

There will be a thread started on this very soon just need more time to do so ......:biggun:

Chop chop you bum! LOL sleeps over rated anyhow

6.4f350

Reaction score
mine is probably pretty typical for most guys that don't have an infinite bank account.

I put a stage 2 colt cam in my truck and I wouldn't do an engine without. it has less turbo lag then a 6.7. I feel no turbo lag. truck seems to run cool, and goes well. truck has stock fuel, home ported intake manifold with stands removed, Hamilton springs, rcd pushrods, rcd 72 atmo, ih pistons (not cut, not coated). stock exhaust manifolds and up pipes. truck has no smoke on cold starts. (hear of cut pistons in trucks in the area haze like crazy until they warm up)

my truck is not a drag truck, just a typical all around truck that I use to pull my holiday trailer with and when not hooked up I can still have some fun with if I like.

Cut pistons do haze a bit...

http://youtu.be/Gf2m-73yO-g

Bigsexy

Reaction score
My goal is only gonna be 800 someday but I still use my truck. I still have to pull a trailer once in a while but wanna have fun at the track to.

08SUPERKING

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what side action comes up with. I want the upgrade
but I am in no hurry.
Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ive never installed a cam for a power gain as i doubt you will see one , just better hp curve, better spool and less drive pressure. i'm running the stage 1x right now and the mid range pull is very strong. a good cam can put the power in better places in the rpm range.

Latest posts

Members online