Hotter oil temp after bypass oil install?

Nic

Reaction score
It's happened twice now. Two different 6.4s. No oil temp issues before and now they act like they have oil cooler issues. Haven't had a problem on the 6.0s. I would figure adding a quart to the system and running it outside wouldn't make it run hotter. Run cooler or stay the same. Anyone else experience this?

patricku47

Reaction score
What oil bypass are you referring to? Bp oil cooler kit? Or just an oil filter bypass? or what.

It's the Amsoil filter bypass kit. With the bypass hooked up EOT gets to around 220° with it unhooked the EOT stays around 203°. Flow was checked and seemed to be up to par. This is the second 6.4 we have seen with the same symptoms, but we have never had this issues on any 6.0 we have done a filter bypass on.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Where does the bypass system pull it's oil from? The only thing I can think of is not enough oil is going through the cooler since some is now bypassed to the remote filter.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Filtration too tight and the internal bypass is putting oil back to sump?

Last edited:

Rubenk

Reaction score
I know JimDawg was working on his own oil bypass setup, maybe he has an idea of whats going on here? Paging Dr. Jim, paging Dr. Jim...

79jasper

Reaction score
I know JimDawg was working on his own oil bypass setup, maybe he has an idea of whats going on here? Paging Dr. Jim, paging Dr. Jim...
Try this @Jimdawg

Edit. Didn't work. Guess we don't have user tagging. Lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TD-5

Reaction score
from the coffee table manual:

Attachments

• 6.4 lube oil1.jpg
    6.4 lube oil1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 59
  • lube oil2.jpg
    lube oil2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Lube oil3.jpg
    Lube oil3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 52

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Amsoil filters down to 2 microns. The supply comes from tapping into the oil filter canister top and runs to filter and then runs back into the oil fill.

Ok. Is this the kit that eliminates the oil filter at the engine and relocates it or just simply robs oil from the unfiltered side of the EOF and moves it to the 2micron system.

If the latter... then it is simply bypassing too much oil and putting it back to the pan.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well I wrote that last response before looking at the schematic provided above.

Interesting problem. I'm not familiar with the bypass kit on the 6.4. But regardless its the same theory as every other engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.