Hole in block

BOSS450

Reaction score
Last week after some dirt drags in the race truck I noticed the degas bottle was low. Topped it off thinking it just puked from the heat that night. Next morning walked by and noticed it was empty again. Only one place to go pulled dipstick and it was way high. Drained about three gallons of coolant out the pan. Nothing milky. Straight water. Figured I cracked the block. Pulled heads off found no cracks in thin area. Pressure tested and found a pin hole from the waterjacket.

6A5716E3-AB6B-4978-BA44-1280D97F8B8C.png

D0616C07-F6BA-4056-8C08-EBA0944652D9.png

6824D806-A570-42AD-8306-E3C5C83ACA3B.png

Quick trip to Lowe's and a few "custom" tools later she was fixed!

3272CB88-7AAF-4FCE-88A4-62D63807AEE1.png

3B608EAB-F565-402C-ABC7-E1F54A0665B2.png

CB3AF778-9C8A-4E0D-9A46-DB59D9B6C9EC.png

Anybody else seen a hole here? Got to be a casting flaw.

Jbird

Reaction score
I wonder how that will hold up. slick idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Wouldn't a small spot weld have worked on that? Honestly curious. Seems like that would have been easier than the tap and grinding down a tool to make it fit.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Wouldn't a small spot weld have worked on that? Honestly curious. Seems like that would have been easier than the tap and grinding down a tool to make it fit.
Oil soaked cast iron doesn't weld very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BOSS450

Reaction score

Seeing as the motor was still together and in the truck and to properly weld cast you have to heat it up and cool correctly. It wasn't really an option.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I'm sure the rest of the motor would love having all the sparks from the welding go all over it.

jngreen

Reaction score
That's clever thinking. You seem to have had good luck with that motor, way to make it last until the next race.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Crazy..... good find and solution. Luckily you have the capability and knowledge to fix it yourself. Imagine what the average Joe would have paid at a shop or dealership, new motor time, there goes 10k + down the drain.

BOSS450

Reaction score
Crazy..... good find and solution. Luckily you have the capability and knowledge to fix it yourself. Imagine what the average Joe would have paid at a shop or dealership, new motor time, there goes 10k + down the drain.

Wish I had a little more knowledge and it didn't take the head going on and off 5 times to find it exactly. 😂

78f100

Reaction score
What cylinder is that? It's close to the casting line where they crack but looks to be at least 1/2 inch above it. I have never seen or heard of a water jacket issue.
Nice job on the repair, I got just about 50k hard miles out of my 6.4 with a cracked block. I would reseal the studs where the crack was when I noticed coolant in the oil, we named the truck puddin because 3 or 4 times a year it would turn the oil to puddin. A few weeks ago it finally got the thrust bearing after the sealant let go at the track. I'm building a new one now.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
well played buddy. what did you put on the screw to seal it ?

BOSS450

Reaction score
What cylinder is that? It's close to the casting line where they crack but looks to be at least 1/2 inch above it. I have never seen or heard of a water jacket issue.
Nice job on the repair, I got just about 50k hard miles out of my 6.4 with a cracked block. I would reseal the studs where the crack was when I noticed coolant in the oil, we named the truck puddin because 3 or 4 times a year it would turn the oil to puddin. A few weeks ago it finally got the thrust bearing after the sealant let go at the track. I'm building a new one now.

It's dead center over top #6. Above bottom of studs. Above casting line by half inch. Not near where they crack in the thin area of the studs. Puddin now that's funny.

Jbird

Reaction score
Letting the screw thread itself was exactly right thing to do. It would never come out even if you could get to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online