About to upgrade; please check my math

214skier

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have a 2009 F250 FX4 6.4L with 80k. I bought the truck new.

We only use on weekend to tow our 5th wheel or for extended hunting trips. Considered trading for new--but want to consider extending the life / reliability of the truck and keep it (she is in excellent condition). We have never had any issues with it.

I found a local reputable diesel shop who when asked about their ideal list for improving reliability (and performance) had the following recommendations:

1. SCT Tuner (custom tunes)
2. EGR ****** / upgrade
3. Dow pipe / Flowmaster exhaust
4. Wastegate
5. S&B Cold air intake

Would love any opinions or feedback.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mohead1

Reaction score
Wastegate is something new.....i modified my 6.4 with all that plus some, but no wastegate.....did they mean w a single turbo instead of twins??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Swap the s&b for a no limit intake. It seems all the tuners have an easier time tuning on the h&s platform, more than the sct. Whose tunes are they selling you, or are they jjst gonna.have you run box tunes?

214skier

Reaction score
Swap the s&b for a no limit intake. It seems all the tuners have an easier time tuning on the h&s platform, more than the sct. Whose tunes are they selling you, or are they jjst gonna.have you run box tunes?

Good question re "who's tunes." I will find out and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

214skier

Reaction score
Wastegate is something new.....i modified my 6.4 with all that plus some, but no wastegate.....did they mean w a single turbo instead of twins??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe the mechanic mentioned concerns about metering turbo pressure and the wastegates ability to eliminate that concern.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have a 2009 F250 FX4 6.4L with 80k. I bought the truck new.

We only use on weekend to tow our 5th wheel or for extended hunting trips. Considered trading for new--but want to consider extending the life / reliability of the truck and keep it (she is in excellent condition). We have never had any issues with it.

I found a local reputable diesel shop who when asked about their ideal list for improving reliability (and performance) had the following recommendations:

2. EGR ****** / upgrade
4. Wastegate
5. S&B Cold air intake

Thank you!

no wastegate needed, like said before ditch the s&b for a no limit, and call me for the best package pricing anywhere. # is below.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I'd contact no-limit and get the following
1 Minimax/********
2 E-G-R removal kit with elbow
3 Full flow pro 4 or 5in. Personally I like the 4 for easier install.
4 Coolant filter

Stock intake is decent on those if you aren't looking for max power. Otherwise I would save up for a 6.7

214skier

Reaction score

2. EGR ****** / upgrade
4. Wastegate
5. S&B Cold air intake

Thank you!

Now I am checking the work of the shop doing the above mentioned ... is it possible to do those things w/o taking the cab off? I thought any EGR ****** and/or upgrade required a cab off?

Thank you much

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Now I am checking the work of the shop doing the above mentioned ... is it possible to do those things w/o taking the cab off? I thought any EGR ****** and/or upgrade required a cab off?

Thank you much

not required to be cab off. but a competent shop can have cab on and off in same amount of time and the job is much easier to do.

214skier

Reaction score
not required to be cab off. but a competent shop can have cab on and off in same amount of time and the job is much easier to do.

Thank you for the insight here. They also mentioned they are not doing down pipes so no requirement to pull the cab--everything was otherwise accessible.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight here. They also mentioned they are not doing down pipes so no requirement to pull the cab--everything was otherwise accessible.

he meant up pipes, and that is correct . if they do pull the cab, you always do up pipes while you're there.

214skier

Reaction score
he meant up pipes, and that is correct . if they do pull the cab, you always do up pipes while you're there.

Sorry. You're right. Phew, glad they are doing this correctly.

I appreciate the feedback / insight.

214skier

Reaction score
Update--- I got the truck back tonight. Pleased with the obvious power increase and throttle response. It seems to shift harder-- I thought brew tunes would bring smoother shift transitions. Feedback?

Rubenk

Reaction score
Update--- I got the truck back tonight. Pleased with the obvious power increase and throttle response. It seems to shift harder-- I thought brew tunes would bring smoother shift transitions. Feedback?

Performance trans tunes will definitely have more "bite" but it shouldn't slam gears. Work with your tuner to dial it in.

214skier

Reaction score
also , let it learn !!

So for street driving the shift pattern has improved tremendously... towing on the other hand... wow... way off... same thing? It will dial itself in?

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
A lot of the shift concerns can be tuned out depending on whos tunes. I run tyrants tunes and it usually only takes a few miles to relearn after flashing a tune.

Latest posts

Members online