2005 Axle Swap

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
after doing a lot of reseach and hard thinking i decided to do the 05 axle swap into my OBS. didnt want to do a dana 60 due to i like to do thing different then everyone has done. and because i was given a set of 18" lariat rims that i thing would look awesome on my 97.

just picked up the rolling chassis, picked it up in georgia. haha it was a long way but an awesome trip. stoped at a few cool bars -THE BLIND HORSE SALOON- was awesome

IMG_8877.jpg

removing my bed to make things easier on me and so i can paint everything up with some POR 15 (i think thats what im gonna use). will also make it easier to make my exhaust!

018.jpg

Everything is out and only the rear is left!!

019.jpg

AND ITS OUT

DSCN0361.jpg

got all the rivits out and removed the axle and also got everything else out

DSCN0359.jpg

got the 05 rolled underneith and the front hangers bolted up. minus the center bolt hole which im gonna borrow A 5/8" reamer since the alignment was only a liitle bit off. the top bolts were a direct match and the bottom two were completely new holes. i decided to use my superduty hangers due to the fact my OBS ones needed to be replaced anyway

DSCN0363.jpg

just another shot, backround- 87 ranger2.9 v6 5 speed and 1970 MONTE CARLO, my once dream car untill babys were brought into this world

DSCN0366.jpg

and the process continues..... has anyone mounted a SD front tank in an OBS, was lookin at the tank out of the donor truck and was wondering? i know the fill tubes are different, justa thought for more fuel to hold.

MossBack

Reaction score
Swap it I'm sure u could figure out the mount and so far I like the build. I want to run a set up like this one day.

Looks good sub'd

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
got some more progress done one the swap! got the orginal holes welded up and ground flat to make a new surface for the new superduty hangers, they were just slightly off and didnt want to weaken the bolt holes.

002.jpg

got my new brake lines run, didnt need to be replaced but i had the tanks out, needed a different fiting to go to the superduty brake line, and i replaced it with a nickle-copper tubbing gurenteed never to rust for the life of the vehicle. mabe by a company called S.U.R.&R. and is it so easy to bend and flairs like butter! got everything blead out and works great!

005.jpg

Got my emergency brake cables connected together and operational, i like the OBS setup better. this is just weird how it works

006.jpg

My adaptor univeral finally came after calling all over the united states to find someone who had it in stock. The company has a 2 month backorder on it figured i would just replace the rest of them with greaseable spicers

025.jpg

Got the driveshaft in, what a PITA. everything was froze in and almost half of the spring clips broke in half to were i had to cut the univeral out with a grinder and push the universals to the center. I wish i had a torch!

026.jpg

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
anyway..... thaNKs everyone, i really need to learn to type and i woul dlike to give special thanks to Cary at CT Performance for helping me through this swap. if anyone is planning to do this in the near future he is the man to call!!!!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Looking good! What are you gonna do with the old wheels?

this build is actually already done... just got around to doin a thread on here. the wheels have already been sold but i still have the axles if anyone is interested???

only 118k miles and 4.10s. fornt end compleetly rebuilt and just needs the center bushings. the rear axle is in great shape also PM me in anyone wants them. i line in Cecil County MD

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
some more pics........ i threw a few stitch welds in the hangers, just because, really didnt need to but i just feel better that way if the bolts some loose or.... what ever i dont know. just wanted to

004.jpg

87d1310396440-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dsc00080.jpg

got my shock mounts in where they needed to be. dont know if you can see it but i had to put a slight twist in the hanger to match the angle of the OBS shocks. The SD shocks are straight up and down while the obs have an outwerd angle to them

88d1310396637-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dsc00082.jpg

welded the shock mount in because the alignment pins no longer will work and i just wanted to make sure they stay where they are and dont spin. just did a bunch of small stitch welds back and forth so i didnt overheat anything and kept goin till it was all filled in looks ugly but it will hold

89d1310396899-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dsc00081.jpg

this was the sensor that gave me my problems. all good now. FYI the SD sensor will not work haha it has to be a sensor out of the stock rear

90d1310397098-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dsc00083.jpg

now im ready to drive up to my buddies house. should of got a pic but i was in a hurry. i put the reciver back on and put my rolling chassis on a trailer behind it. the chassis had my obs rear on it and i had the SD rear on mine and towed it up the road like that. hahaha

91d1310397250-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dsc00084.jpg

its inits new home to start on the front end. got to say i LOVE the 3.73 and the brakes are unreal now that i have disks in the rear. couldnt get into it too much becaue the wasnt any weight on the rear to keep her form sliding out alteast once i took the trailer off

DSCN0476.jpg

rusty1161

Reaction score
My adaptor univeral finally came after calling all over the united states to find someone who had it in stock. The company has a 2 month backorder on it figured i would just replace the rest of them with greaseable spicers

If you don't mind, can you share the part# for that conversion universal?

Thanks.

Rusty

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
NEAPCO New Universal Joint Kit 2-1435
For 1410 to 1350 Conversion Applications

i belive that was it. what you need to do is find the spicer number for the OBS u-joint and the spicer number for the SD u-joint ang google it. of your planning on doing this i would recomend getting it b4 u start. you can also swap out the yokes on the axle to the desiarable one you want so no conversions are needed.... what ever floats your boat

Wayne

Reaction score
Funny you had to do rear axle bracket work. I could swear all heavy duty full size rigs use the same dimension rear springs 1980-2007. When I lifted my '84 bronco, and converted it to power stroke. the lift springs I used were off of an '05 F-350, and aside from needing the bolt holes enlarged (1/2 tons & broncos use smaller eyelets) the springs bolted right in.

rusty1161

Reaction score
NEAPCO New Universal Joint Kit 2-1435
For 1410 to 1350 Conversion Applications

i belive that was it. what you need to do is find the spicer number for the OBS u-joint and the spicer number for the SD u-joint ang google it. of your planning on doing this i would recomend getting it b4 u start. you can also swap out the yokes on the axle to the desiarable one you want so no conversions are needed.... what ever floats your boat

Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.