Cam Question

windrunner408

Reaction score
So now I have come across three people that I have heard how good a stock truck runs on a colt cam (I presume one that doesnt require valve reliefs to be cut into the pistons). Well needless to say (while I have been loosely investigating cams for a little while now) I am very intrigued at this point. Previously, I had heard it was a waste to run a cam but with hearing how good guys are claiming their trucks run with an upgraded cam, I am starting to look at these a little more serious now.

My main question is, how hard are these to install? Can they be done with the engine in the truck or shoud the engine be pulled? Also, do I have to pull the heads all the way off or can I simply just pull a rocker arm at a time off to get the push rods out and let the lifters come out the bottom? I really dont want to pull the heads if I dont have to since I have already done that when I did my head stud install.

Any info would be really appreciated.

madman1234509

Reaction score
We did mine in the frame, just removed the cab,tranny, flex plate, the balancing ring that sits on the back of the motor and take it out. Replace the bolts that hold the balancing ring on with new bolts. They are the same bolts as the ones that hold the crank pulley on. Mark everything as you take it off and put it all back on the same way. Youll see the flex plate has weights on it and they cant be put on the wrong way or itll throw the engine balance way off, along with the ring. Its not that bad.

Ive mentioned it in some other threads but ill be on a dyno april 28th, with the mods in my sig, plus probably a torque converter and traction bars. I wanted to do it on pretty much stock fuel just to get some real data. Hopefully itll show some good stuff

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wish I wasnt too lazy to pull the motor out to swap the cam LOL

java

Reaction score
Jared, do you still have cams and valve springs in stock? If you do ill probably order them next week.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Less then a month and ill be posting some hp/tq numbers from my basically modded truck with a cam and valve springs. Love the feel of the truck with the cam and springs in it. Truck feels strong, and now with the RCD converter I think all mods compliment each other very well on the street.

youngstroker

Reaction score
I'm curious what goes in to the process of regrinding a cam, you dont have to give away any trade secrets, i'm just curious. I'm really interested in doing this mod, but have herd regrinds can cause major failures, from my cummings buddys.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Iv never removed the rear crank Ballancer but iv heard it works
I almost had one off once and the old man in the shop chewed my ass
We just un bolt the bead plate and drop the rotating assmbley and remove crank

Latest posts

Members online