Crank but no start, has fuel

young7.3

Reaction score
My buddy went in and repaired the non serviceable plug with a new seal and used loctite. He triple checked to make sure the check valve was assembled properly. Now after putting it back together he has no start, but cranks very well forever.

-Has fuel pressure. 60+ via gauge
-has rpm movement on tach
-wont even start with icp unplugged
Here is more data while cranking.

He’s going to check the check ball again next.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young7.3

Reaction score
My buddy went in and repaired the non serviceable plug with a new seal and used loctite. He triple checked to make sure the check valve was assembled properly. Now after putting it back together he has no start, but cranks very well forever.

-Has fuel pressure. 60+ via gauge
-has rpm movement on tach
-wont even start with icp unplugged
Here is more data while cranking.

He’s going to check the check ball again next.

Anyone got any ideas?

8538c7766beca94f9915c0c57fcb9862.jpg

Forgot the photo.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Which one of those is icp? What is it while cranking? After opening the system, it typically takes 30 sec to a minute worth of cranking to get it to fire the first time.

Make sure the pump gear is tight, had that happen to me in one.

Also, make sure the ipr is plugged in, and the wires at the pigtail aren’t chafed and shorting together. Did it get a new ipr while he was in there?

Does it have enough oil in it?

young7.3

Reaction score
Which one of those is icp? What is it while cranking? After opening the system, it typically takes 30 sec to a minute worth of cranking to get it to fire the first time.

Make sure the pump gear is tight, had that happen to me in one.

Also, make sure the ipr is plugged in, and the wires at the pigtail aren’t chafed and shorting together. Did it get a new ipr while he was in there?

Does it have enough oil in it?

Icp is the top middle which reads zero. Weird thing is with the icp sensor unplugged we got 2500 psi. Which i know is wrong because my truck only gets 600-800 psi when starting.

He has a 17 degree oil pump.

Its full of oil. Even the hpop reservoir.

Same ipr as before. And its plugged in.

dsberman94

Reaction score
2500 is probably default for it unplugged, can’t remember what it goes to but that’s why it’s the test if the icp is bad. It tells the computer there’s enough pressure to fire, so it does. Manual gauge in the oil rail. Or pull the icp out and see if oil shoots out while cranking. That would tell if you’ve got pressure or not. Sounds like there’s no oil pressure to actually fire fuel from the injector.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Icp is the top middle which reads zero. Weird thing is with the icp sensor unplugged we got 2500 psi. Which i know is wrong because my truck only gets 600-800 psi when starting.

He has a 17 degree oil pump.

Its full of oil. Even the hpop reservoir.

Same ipr as before. And its plugged in.

Having 0 psi icp is odd. It should build basically to what base oil pressure is, if the pump is shot. I’d lean toward the gear isn’t tight, and the hpop isn’t spinning, so you’re getting 0 oil flow to the heads

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did he have the HPOP off the pickup? The lack od ICP needs to delt with first before anything else. You need atleast 500 psi to fire, but it will go a up over 2000 while cranking if it does not fire right away.

young7.3

Reaction score
He removed the hpop to repair a leak.

I dont remember if the oil pressure gauge in the cluster moved or not during testing.

Im going to have him remove a plug on the oil rail and see if oil shoots out while cranking.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just remove the icp sensor from the oil rail. I believe the plugs have o rings and you might not get it sealed again.

young7.3

Reaction score
My friend took the check valve back apart and everything was installed as normal. He noted that when he removed the icp sensor no oil came out like it normally would.

What other reasons would the hpop not be creating oil pressure for? This is a fairly new 17 degree hpop.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Sounds like there’s an underlying problem since he serviced a non serviceable item so why did he do that to start with?

young7.3

Reaction score
Sounds like there’s an underlying problem since he serviced a non serviceable item so why did he do that to start with?

It’s most definitely serviceable.