Heavy haul tire question

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my tires (33/12.50R20) with some 12 ply tires thinking all would be great like my old set. NOPE! The tire itself is a nice heavy duty tire BUT the tread by itself is real soft which causes a serious case of "sway" while trying to haul heavy bumper trailers. My camper is about 10,000 fully loaded which really isn't much weight in the scheme of things but when I hooked up and headed down the interstate I was two handed white knuckling the wheel keeping it straight as I could. Had to go slow in the slow lane just to be safe. Checked the truck out and everything is fine mechanically. Bought a used set of factory wheels with 10 ply continental tires and they handle great but I want my big tires back. So, what tires are you all running that do some heavy hauling loads up and down the road and feel safe and secure? I am going to try and sell the current new set and buy something different. I was looking at some Venom Power Terra Hunter tires that felt like the tread was pretty hard but I want more options. Thanks!

ncollins64

Reaction score
The off brands like venom will not last. They’re just cheap tires made overseas. What brand are you currently running? I personally only run toyo mt in 35x12.50r20 in 12 ply and I get 50k plus miles with a mix of heavy towing on the farm. I’ve never had any sway from them or the toyo at tires I ran once.

dsberman94

Reaction score
If it’s tread squirm give them a little time. They’ll wear in some and be better. I remember every time I got new tires on my company truck it would have aweful tread squirm for a while. Buying the cheap China tires just lines you up for more cheap China tires faster.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I run Toyo rts in 305/55r20 on my dually. They’re the 12plys, usually have them at 80psi. Never an issue. I rarely use my bumper pull. If I do it’s 12-13k. I load it really heavy with my 40ft gooseneck. A 2000lb welding skid, and 24-26k worth of trailer and materials. I get great tread life and it never sways or wonders.

Reaction score
yeah when I haul my gooseneck it does a lot better as well. Weight is distributed better along the whole truck V's just the bumper. Thanks for the info