Need a new trans, looking for recommendations

fastersteve

Reaction score
My 01 Ex has killed the Ford HD4r100 reman I installed several years ago. I'm not going to wait months for a BTS or drive 1500 miles to get it. It looks like John Woods has retired, Dieselsite only sells parts now not built units. Is there anything worthwhile available, or do I need to just settle for another Ford reman?
I'm in SC if it matters, I'll drive a couple hundred miles.
Thanks!

ncollins64

Reaction score
Sam wyse or Warren does gets my vote these days. But yes I agree on the BTS crap. They are glad to take your money up front but then service goes out the window and you have to wait months, I waited a year to get mine. After that I said no more

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I second the twisted recommendation. Got one of their 5rs in my truck and it’s holding up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denver

Reaction score
I would go with another reman from Ford. I was very close to getting one of John Woods last transmissions but long story short it never happened. He is retired and enjoying life and time with his family. There's a lot of builders out there that have copied each other but the trouble is getting them to do warranty work in a timely manner. At least with the Ford reman you get a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty and any Ford dealer across the nation can perform warranty work.

ncollins64

Reaction score
My experiences with twisted and Warren specifically are top notch, even with warranty issues. Why go with another weak ford reman when you can buy better for a little more money. Just my .02.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Sam Wyse gets my vote. I’ve had his stage 2 for about 3.5 years now. I had an issue last year where the forward drum busted. Sam paid labor, shipping, repaired AND put new clutch packs in while he had it. Has been perfect ever sense. All in about a week turnaround time from GA to OH and back to GA. Doesn’t get much better than that.

rescuejg

Reaction score
I don't think Ford sells the HD4R100 anymore, only the regular version.

Anyone know if the regular is the same as the HD version they came out with, just shorter warranty (HD was 3 yrs i believe) and they dropped the HD designation?

Does BTS take your money up front then you have to wait 6 months to get your trans built?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
I don’t buy trans from ford so I can’t comment on that, I just know stock isn’t worth it in any application in my opinion. And yes, BTS takes your money and will promise you everything under the sun and never deliver for months, I waited a year and had to threaten a lawsuit before I could get mine. I’ve never had an issues with the others mentioned and they have great service and warranty’s

fastersteve

Reaction score
Ford was still showing them when I last looked. IDK if they still are or not, I was assuming.

The HD reman didn't last as long as the stocker with a tugger kit, the stock trans even lived through big oil that the HD never saw. I'm leaning towards the Warren, just need to pull the trigger. I don't know anyone here to trust for the install so I'd do it on my back in the driveway.
Lots going on right now, just moved cross country-looking for a house, need to have a knee replaced as well, and most of my tools are in storage.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
I have a Warren full billet trans on my 2010 F250 with 775hp. Daily driver with about 60k miles complete build. Trans went in about 50k ago and been solid. Upgraded to the deep pan as well to help temps. Currently restoring a 99 F450 7.3 auto and will likely be putting a Warren. Considering a gear venders overdrive unit...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have a Warren full billet trans on my 2010 F250 with 775hp. Daily driver with about 60k miles complete build. Trans went in about 50k ago and been solid. Upgraded to the deep pan as well to help temps. Currently restoring a 99 F450 7.3 auto and will likely be putting a Warren. Considering a gear venders overdrive unit...
Will it stay stock power? The gear vendors last i knew wouldn't hold much more power than stock

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I have a GV behind a E4OD. Ran it a lot of years.

Would not do it again. Seems like it was broke half the time. The GV electronics were garbage. I finally just put it on a toggle switch.

took it off when the coast clutch gear broke, again. Fixed the unit but have not had the desire to put it back on.

It was a fun toy is how I explain it to people. Towing was just a little better using the GV instead of Trans OD.

Depends on your rear gearing as well. I was running 4.10 with 285 tires. Unless you are running over 75 using the GV as a double over was pretty doggy and smoky.

I have since changed turbos to a .84 housing. Maybe that would be the difference I needed to make it better, but have not put the GV back on.

Am running 180/0 injectors and supporting mods. So not super built, but not stock.

The failures I had with the unit had nothing to do with HP or torque put to it. GV blamed it on improper gear fitting/clearance.

They are also high maintenance. You ware supposed to change oil like every 20k miles, Even then when you drain it the stuff is pretty nasty and used up.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
Will it stay stock power? The gear vendors last i knew wouldn't hold much more power than stock
Their website claims installations have been made up to 2000hp and towing up to 25k gcvw. For our trucks more specifically it seems they encourage performance mods and their unit, claiming it helps make the most of them. However double overdrive should not be used loaded or towing? Confusing to say the least.

Have you had any experience with them?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Their website claims installations have been made up to 2000hp and towing up to 25k gcvw. For our trucks more specifically it seems they encourage performance mods and their unit, claiming it helps make the most of them. However double overdrive should not be used loaded or towing? Confusing to say the least.

Have you had any experience with them?
Say what??🤔

Members online

No members online now.