Theft risk?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So interesting enough, I looked at the back of the OBD port and realized there is a connector on the back side of it. I thought that is simple enough, just unplug that and tuck the end up under the dash so when someone plugs into the port, it's just basically dead. Funny thing, if I unplug that port on the back side, I can still start the truck, but none of the dash comes on. When I connected it back up, the dash came on and I got a wrench icon on the dash until the next restart. There must be more going on in there than I thought.

On these newer trucks, the obd port is no longer just for hooking up and talking to the vehicles. It is now what’s called a gateway module and terminates several of the communication circuits. All sorts of goofy **** happens when they go bad, or are unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
On these newer trucks, the obd port is no longer just for hooking up and talking to the vehicles. It is now what’s called a gateway module and terminates several of the communication circuits. All sorts of goofy **** happens when they go bad, or are unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, I opened it and there is some circuitry in there, but nothing spectacular. I believe it has to do with the data link, so if I want to use that, I can't kill power to it. I'm thinking put a dummy plug there and tuck this one under the dash. That way the visible port is dead, but the real one is hidden. Sounds simple enough.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Just got a ‘22 and this thread had me thinking.
What about PCM power switched from inside the cab?
I’m sure with a diagram it should be easy enough and not set codes.
But that’s just me thinking tho.
Going to look into something of this sort.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.