05-07 steering box on a 99-04 truck

tomlin

Reaction score
I am looking to ditch the weak factory box and upgrade to something better. I have looked at Blue Top, Redhead and PSC and end of day, the OEM style box is still to small for the truck. I have researched and from what I can tell, the 05-07 box uses a different mounting bolt diameter, different hydro boost hose and a different pitman arm. The bolt issue and hose are easily remedied. What can be done in regards to the pitman arm issues? It appears the 05+ pitman arm has a larger hole for the tie rod. same taper angle, just larger. I am almost to the point of ordering both pitman arms and taking them to a machine shop to see what can be done. Has anyone else done this swap? I would like to use this gear box. 2768U: 2005-2007 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Steering Gear HD - RedHead Steering Gears | Rebuild & Remanufacturer Thanks!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm confused on why it's too small for the truck? Does it have military swamper tires?

I've got 37x12.5s and I can turn my wheels in park lock to lock with my pinky with my 8 year old red head and 19 year old power steering pump

tomlin

Reaction score
Nope, just a factory 7.3 2000 F350 Dually. I bought the truck with 109k on it and the box was toast. I have changed many of them on these trucks and this one is no exception. I have been in contact with Redhead in regards to what I want to do. In fact, Dan Foster from Redhead told me to consider fabbing this up as it would work a lot better. It will just take some ingenuity.

Members online

No members online now.