34-35" Studded Winter Tires

ToMang07

Reaction score
So I have 33s currently, and while they work well they only have maybe 1 more season in them. So I figured I'd get a jump on getting a set of 34-35" Studded tires.

Well... there are no damn studded tires over 33.5s.

Only 2 I've found so far is one set of Kelly Edge MTs and General A/TX. However both are notoriously poorly wearing tires AND they're 35x12.5s.... so they'd float in anything deep.

I was planning to put a set of Goodyear Duratrac 285/75r18s on but they aren't studdable.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I have never ran studded tires. But I could see them being nice if you spent time on slick roads.

Are you planning to run them year round? Or just in the winter?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I have never ran studded tires. But I could see them being nice if you spent time on slick roads.

Are you planning to run them year round? Or just in the winter?
I run dedicated winter tires Nov/Dec to April/May usually. Job requires 24/7/365 and where I live is rural with very crappy, heavily crowned roads. Not to mention driving 30+ miles one way. And I plow, so I try to get the best tires I can.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Mastercraft CXT don't go big enough? They used to have the ability for studs
The only one bigger than 33 that I found was the MXT, but that's really a mud tire, and was 35x12.5 IIRC

ToMang07

Reaction score
I did just find a 285/70R18 Nitto Exo Grappler.... apparently those are 3 peak and studdable. Listed as just under 34", at 33.98.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I run dedicated winter tires Nov/Dec to April/May usually. Job requires 24/7/365 and where I live is rural with very crappy, heavily crowned roads. Not to mention driving 30+ miles one way. And I plow, so I try to get the best tires I can.

Make sense why you would want them.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, ordered a set of the Exo Grapplers. Hopefully I like them.... these are by far the most expensive tires I've bought to date. Really wanted to run Duratracs but they don't make them tall enough it seems. Been running Duratracs since they came out in 09.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
They look like a good around tire. Maybe not the best highway tire. But looks like a tire I could be willing to try.

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Sounds like you have made your choice, but I'll throw another contender in the ring for anyone else looking to do the same.

I've run the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX with great results over the past 3yrs on two different rigs. My driving habits put me at right around 50k miles per year, most of those miles through making runs through Idaho/Utah/Colorado/Montana/Wyoming.
Early November I'll purchase a set with studs, run them until April and then pull the studs and wear out the remaining tread through the summer. There is still some life left at the 50k mark, but I have no interest in heading into winter without studs and any tire that can last 50k on a heavy and torquey diesel has given me my moneys worth.

Overall, I don't have anything negative to say. The siping is full depth, so no issues with traction rapidly degrading as they wear. Great traction in compact snow / ice / heavy rain, good lug clean-out in fresh snow / mud, and the tires are surprisingly quiet on the highway - even more so once I've pulled the studs.

I did have one tire that became difficult to balance at 25k, but Discount Tire warrantied it without a fuss.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Sounds like you have made your choice, but I'll throw another contender in the ring for anyone else looking to do the same.

I've run the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX with great results over the past 3yrs on two different rigs. My driving habits put me at right around 50k miles per year, most of those miles through making runs through Idaho/Utah/Colorado/Montana/Wyoming.
Early November I'll purchase a set with studs, run them until April and then pull the studs and wear out the remaining tread through the summer. There is still some life left at the 50k mark, but I have no interest in heading into winter without studs and any tire that can last 50k on a heavy and torquey diesel has given me my moneys worth.

Overall, I don't have anything negative to say. The siping is full depth, so no issues with traction rapidly degrading as they wear. Great traction in compact snow / ice / heavy rain, good lug clean-out in fresh snow / mud, and the tires are surprisingly quiet on the highway - even more so once I've pulled the studs.

I did have one tire that became difficult to balance at 25k, but Discount Tire warrantied it without a fuss.
I actually considered that one, I didn't for 2 reasons, the only one tall enough was wider than I'd prefer, and they aren't 3 peak ( 3PMSF) rated. The AT3s are, but they aren't studdable... and frankly the AT3s held/tossed rocks like crazy. Every single time I drove on gravel all I'd hear is TINK TINK TINK!!! the soon as I got on pavement

Iso-baric

Reaction score
I actually considered that one, I didn't for 2 reasons, the only one tall enough was wider than I'd prefer, and they aren't 3 peak ( 3PMSF) rated. The AT3s are, but they aren't studdable... and frankly the AT3s held/tossed rocks like crazy. Every single time I drove on gravel all I'd hear is TINK TINK TINK!!! the soon as I got on pavement

Keep us posted on how the Nittos do for you.

The way things are going with parts shortages, it would be great to know of another good option when I'm shopping later this year.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Keep us posted on how the Nittos do for you.

The way things are going with parts shortages, it would be great to know of another good option when I'm shopping later this year.
Will do. I was already looking at Nittos because they make a skinny (11.5") 37" tire that works be PREFECT for my BAP 20s.... lol

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So I have 33s currently, and while they work well they only have maybe 1 more season in them. So I figured I'd get a jump on getting a set of 34-35" Studded tires.

Well... there are no damn studded tires over 33.5s.

Only 2 I've found so far is one set of Kelly Edge MTs and General A/TX. However both are notoriously poorly wearing tires AND they're 35x12.5s.... so they'd float in anything deep.

I was planning to put a set of Goodyear Duratrac 285/75r18s on but they aren't studdable.

So can you buy them per studded or do you have to do that after? I'm for AZ so never had to mess with it. :)

ToMang07

Reaction score
Depends on where you buy them, but if they are studdable, they'll either arrive from the manufacturer that way or the shop themselves will install the studs.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Trial by fire today. Got them installed in the middle of a 1' Nor'Easter. Absolutely loving them so far. Plowing the driveway way way better with these on. The siping on them is fantastic.
20230304_123402.jpg
20230304_123357.jpg
20230304_123412.jpg

ToMang07

Reaction score
Glad you're liking them. How long do the studs last generally?
It really depends on how you drive it. With half tread on my tires they looked great. On my brother's truck the carbides were gone, and he had maybe 10k more miles than me. Peeling out on pavement wears them down real quick. These ones take a #15 stud, pretty standard.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
It really depends on how you drive it. With half tread on my tires they looked great. On my brother's truck the carbides were gone, and he had maybe 10k more miles than me. Peeling out on pavement wears them down real quick. These ones take a #15 stud, pretty standard.

I might have to look into getting a set of studded tires for winter driving. I could see it being a lot nicer on snow packed and ice covered roads.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Dedicated snow tires are best, but a 3 peak studded tire is still damn good. It is well worth it in my book.

Latest posts

Members online