4-5 Transmission Squeal Help

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and it seems the 4-5 squeal is due to the weak factory parts. I have experienced this about 10-12 times so far and I'm a little worried that if I continue pushing the 4-5 shift hard, it will cost a transmission. I have read on here that someone was able to tune this issue out. I am currently running Gearhead on my '13. Is this possible to tune out, or is it tuning specific and the only way I can change it is to use tuning by someone else? I appreciate any feedback.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I think it's just the transmission itself and the huge power these trucks make. I have put my H&S box tunes on, stock tune and my Gearhead and can do it with all of them. Gearhead seems to be the best case scenario for myself. I added some dr.tranny shudder fix friction modifier and haven't really been able to recreate the squall now but I also don't push it like I used to...

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't seem to have it on the H&S tunes, but I never ran the H&S tranny tunes either. How long will the tranny last making this noise? 20 more times or 2,000 more? I know it is impossible to really tell, but maybe there are some that can say it has been happening for years without problem? Or two days later, the thing went to smoke? What about getting this while towing? I would think it would put a little extra pressure on those clutches and they will slip longer?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58723

This is the thread I started on it as well. You might have read it. From what I've been told some have been running it like this for a while but like Morgan stated in my thread it's just a matter of time. Could be next week, could be next year. When I do run into bigger issues, I'll probably just pick up a built transmission. I keep my tune in tow mode and hooked up to a 8900lb trailer and also couldn't get it to do it now. When I first had this issue, I dropped the pan to check for a bad bearing or clutch material in the bottom of the pan. I had nothing so I threw some new oil in with filter and added that Dr. Tranny shudder fix and I honestly haven't hear it since...

05PSD

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this issue except it's the 3-4 upshift and downshift. It started off every once in a while and now has progressed into a regular occurrence. I just started noticing clutch residue on the dipstick. This transmission is strong as I've been towing 15K regularly and it doesn't get babied at all. It's been screeching for over a year.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58723

This is the thread I started on it as well. You might have read it. From what I've been told some have been running it like this for a while but like Morgan stated in my thread it's just a matter of time. Could be next week, could be next year. When I do run into bigger issues, I'll probably just pick up a built transmission. I keep my tune in tow mode and hooked up to a 8900lb trailer and also couldn't get it to do it now. When I first had this issue, I dropped the pan to check for a bad bearing or clutch material in the bottom of the pan. I had nothing so I threw some new oil in with filter and added that Dr. Tranny shudder fix and I honestly haven't hear it since...

Thanks for the link. I had read that and then forgot about it. Sorry for the idiot move and not just following up on this thread.

I've been dealing with this issue except it's the 3-4 upshift and downshift. It started off every once in a while and now has progressed into a regular occurrence. I just started noticing clutch residue on the dipstick. This transmission is strong as I've been towing 15K regularly and it doesn't get babied at all. It's been screeching for over a year.

Awesome! Everybody needs a little something to look forward to in life! :cursing:

Seriously, thanks for the input.

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
Glad this was brought up... My 15 is doing it from 4-5th. But only does it when I am 3/4 throttle or more. I only have my truck on the tow tune so idk what's going on, I actually got it on a video I'll try to post. I reflashed the tune and hope that takes care of it

Reaction score
Have had mine do that and now I'm losing 4th gear. Sadly that squeal isn't a good sound. That's your clutches having some mating time together. But as of now I'm on the tow tune and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear flare. Sadly I don't think IM gonna be racing anytime soon

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
Have had mine do that and now I'm losing 4th gear. Sadly that squeal isn't a good sound. That's your clutches having some mating time together. But as of now I'm on the tow tune and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear flare. Sadly I don't think IM gonna be racing anytime soon

What year?? How many miles
It kinda pisses me off since I have 16,000 miles on my 15 and have never ran anything more than a tow tune.... What's a built tranny cost?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/VcBiCjGCLbo

If you listen close you can hear it

Yup. That's it. I didnt really notice it until I did the Gearhead tunes and the intake. Probably the extra HP. I haven't officially asked, but a Midwest unit is $4,800 plus core, converter?, shipping and install costs. Maybe $6-7K total plus core? Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
Yup. That's it. I didnt really notice it until I did the Gearhead tunes and the intake. Probably the extra HP. I haven't officially asked, but a Midwest unit is $4,800 plus core, converter?, shipping and install costs. Maybe $6-7K total plus core? Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Yeah mine didn't do it until I got an update on my tuner... I reflashed, hope it doesn't do it tomorrow. I am going to try the manual way to and see if it does it there too.... I dot want to spend 6,000$ on a tranny

Are we thinking the noise is the start to a failure? Or a tuning issue?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Everything I have read is pointing towards a failure. It starts small and eventually escalates. I guess time will tell. Would really be nice if a tune change fixed it though.

dsmracing1

Reaction score

Don't believe there is a core charge. He buys them and builds them...

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Haha. No more than I have to. But really, I'm going to keep a lighter foot until some time passes and hope for some others to match the issue and hopefully present some cheaper options. Worst case, I will order a tranny and schedule some shop time. I don't think I will be digging up the ol DPF and trying a warranty claim.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Don't believe there is a core charge. He buys them and builds them...

I may have read it wrong, but I thought the website showed a $2k core charge. I won't need the stocker when/if I end up swapping it out anyways.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I guess I should ask, is it possible to gain anything by tearing the trans down now and doing a "minor" rebuild with the right parts before things get too far gone? Is it even worth it? Or am I just spending the money twice by going this route?

Jomax

Reaction score
It Seems keep it stock till you're ready for a Trans aswell.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.