6.7 fuel pump on 7.3.

dsberman94

Reaction score
So I saw that swinky did a write up on putting a 6.7 fuel pump on his 6.0. I know where I can get a used 6.7 fuel pump pretty cheap on a completely messed up truck. I'm putting some bigger injectors in the truck shortly so I figure they'll need more fuel sooner than later. I'll be doing this, a strictly hutch mod kit and a strictly regulated return.

From the write up I read the 6.7 pump is half inch in and out. The strictly rubber fuel line is only 3/8 and obviously the draw straw very close to that. Is it going to harm the pump trying to pull through 3/8th line if I switch it up to 1/2 almost immediately after the top of the draw straw? Then would it be better to run a 1/2" barb fitting straight off the fuel bowl for now until I get the RR, then try to get the 1/2" line into the RR however that needs to go.

Last thing I'm wondering is of the fuel pump filter is more of a pre-filter or a post-filter? And the accordingly, when the hutch mod kit or RR gets done, if I do a fuel bowl delete on the RR, would it be appropriate to skip either one of those filters? Just feeling like putting fuel through 3 filters might kill the extra flow and pressure. Just wondering what some other opinions were.

dsberman94

Reaction score
So it's more of a prefilter. That's good, sounds like I don't really need a prefilter with the hutch mod then.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Sunscribed. I've been wondering about this myself.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Well I'm going to have to wait for the guy who has the wrecked 6.7 to get back from his honeymoon to really talk to him. The truck is parked right up the road from my GFs house and we drive by it every morning we go to take care of her horses. Maybe I'll grab a pic tomorrow so you guys can see just how screwed the truck is. He's actually trying to part out or sell the motor on PSN if anyone is still over there. I'm a fan of this idea because of ease to replace it if it goes bad. Ford has a parts warehouse in the next town over and I'm sure they have at least one there at all times. One of the local dealerships will let you go get parts from there, but the rest won't. Not sure what the deal on that is. But I'd rather stick by a ford oe pump either way.

I'm just not sure on going to all the different size hoses and lines or if it would be more worth it to just get a sump like swinky has with a 1/2" feed line. But personally I'd rather stick with the draw straw so I don't have to cut another hole in the tank and then risk leaks. Just looking for some opinions from some of the guys on here with some more experience with this stuff.

Last edited:

Bluke

Reaction score
No need for a pre filter. I would do a sump. Then 1/2" line to the 6.7 pump. 1/2" line forward to a Napa 4770 filter base and a Napa 3528 filter. Run up to the heads with 1/2" then y in to two 3/8" lines and tie into the heads at the rear. Then 3/8 lines from the front of the heads to the regulator. Then 3/8 to the tank and tie into 3/8 suction. This would turn the old suction into the new discharge.

dsberman94

Reaction score
No need for a pre filter. I would do a sump. Then 1/2" line to the 6.7 pump. 1/2" line forward to a Napa 4770 filter base and a Napa 3528 filter. Run up to the heads with 1/2" then y in to two 3/8" lines and tie into the heads at the rear. Then 3/8 lines from the front of the heads to the regulator. Then 3/8 to the tank and tie into 3/8 suction. This would turn the old suction into the new discharge.

So you're saying basically run the 1/2" into the RR and then from there use the factory feed as a return and cut it shorter in the tank? I also need room on this frame rail to mount my ccv canister. Lol. It's getting kinda full at this point.

dsberman94

Reaction score

Bluke

Reaction score
I remembered this while I was originally typing, then I remembered the price. And I'm not sure what size the pickups are in it. I'm sure I can find AN fitting with a 1/2" barb on the end. Might have to give clay a call this week about one.

The riff raff suction tube is 5/8". You can save some $$ if you go to a fass 5/8 bulkhead.

So you're saying basically run the 1/2" into the RR and then from there use the factory feed as a return and cut it shorter in the tank? I also need room on this frame rail to mount my ccv canister. Lol. It's getting kinda full at this point.

Yep. You can free up some space when you remove factory pump.

Reaction score
The riff raff suction tube is 5/8". You can save some $$ if you go to a fass 5/8 bulkhead. .

better read that again...last i looked a -8 AN fitting was a 1/2 inch line...

Product info
"Featuring an oversize -8 fitting for both the feed and return .......We recommend using a -8/-10 AN Step fitting and -10AN line to your fuel pump."

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
better read that again...last i looked a -8 AN fitting was a 1/2 inch line...

Product info
"Featuring an oversize -8 fitting for both the feed and return .......We recommend using a -8/-10 AN Step fitting and -10AN line to your fuel pump."

Oops. Riff raff is 1/2". I miss read that.

Maybe I'll end up going with that then just for that reason and see if clay can throw a barb fitting in the box for me.

6.7 pump is a bad bitch. Just make sure to use 10ga wiring the power.

I'll probably just buy the pigtail. But I'll definitely make sure to use some heavier wire to that.

I have a new 6.7 pump on the shelf for my 03. I plan to run it like Blake said above.

I'm not sure I feel 100% comfortable using barb fittings at all of those connections, and I'm not too familiar with the pushloks either. Wouldn't you still have to run a regulator out of the heads for the return? So it's basically the same as running a regulated return but you'd run the line from the pump into the RR.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Mine will be all pushloc. Yes you still need a regulator. From pump to heads to regulator to the old supply line. That will return back to tank.

Also I will use a draw straw, not a sump.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Mine will be all pushloc. Yes you still need a regulator. From pump to heads to regulator to the old supply line. That will return back to tank.

Also I will use a draw straw, not a sump.

Feel free to post up in here if you get around to doing this before me.

dsberman94

Reaction score
This is the truck the pump would be coming off of.
cd53939d7d23b19b5ebffaaff4195b28.jpg
f7a9c51fce39fd418b46add689c3e85d.jpg

Latest posts

Members online