Advice on VGT turbo upgrade

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
How are industrial injection turbos ? They have a built 2015 turbo with a 64mm compressor wheel at a fair price.

I have always heard nasty stuff with II, We used to use a lot of their products on Cummins and D-max builds and it was always sub par.

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
Even a fully built transmission shifts very very similar to stock.

and these transmissions are designed to run between 230-250

Respectfully i disagree. If a built transmission is shifting like a stock one then they did not build it right. And in years of building older models i have never seen good things come from a transmission running 230-250. I mean for example, Ford says to do a fluid change every 140k miles. Mine was dark brown by 60k, Luckily hardly any clutch material in the pan or filter. These transmissions only run about 170psi of line pressure which is flat out pathetic. Not to mention a 2.5 second commanded upshift time by the ecu when it should be more like .2
Downside to all this. I know what i want but i cant do it myself since now its all solenoid controlled. I cant just pick up a kit and go through it myself until i have a desired shift strategy.

sootie

Reaction score
Respectfully i disagree. If a built transmission is shifting like a stock one then they did not build it right. And in years of building older models i have never seen good things come from a transmission running 230-250. I mean for example, Ford says to do a fluid change every 140k miles. Mine was dark brown by 60k, Luckily hardly any clutch material in the pan or filter. These transmissions only run about 170psi of line pressure which is flat out pathetic. Not to mention a 2.5 second commanded upshift time by the ecu when it should be more like .2
Downside to all this. I know what i want but i cant do it myself since now its all solenoid controlled. I cant just pick up a kit and go through it myself until i have a desired shift strategy.

You should probably get with the program....and contribute relevant content

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
You should probably get with the program....and contribute relevant content

Since when has the program become ignoring the transmissions in builds? I mean let's say down the road I decide to build a new engine for the truck and take the power up in the 4 digits, Do all the professionals just slap a new converter, shafts and clutches in these to make them live for 150k behind that power?

sootie

Reaction score
Since when has the program become ignoring the transmissions in builds? I mean let's say down the road I decide to build a new engine for the truck and take the power up in the 4 digits, Do all the professionals just slap a new converter, shafts and clutches in these to make them live for 150k behind that power?

I never said to ignore the transmission. I said at the power level you are shooting for, it is not required.

By the sounds of things you enjoy spending money on parts for the sake of buying parts, not necessarily understanding what or why they are required.

95% of getting a 6R to hold good power is in the tuning.
Companies making modified valve bodies etc baffle me because the TCM is compensating for a lot of those changes anyway lol . That being said, for a built transmission, machining for additional clutches is required if they are to hold 700+ .The factory pumps can make waaaay more pressure than the stock tuning asks for. The shafts are not a known weak point. Basically the only failures I see are clutches. For 4 digit power you will need max clutch count, billet intermediate at minimum.

An aftermarket TC would make more of a seat of the pants difference in feel than any hard parts in the trans.

As far as temps are concerned, it actually hurts the performance and longevity of these transmissions to run as cool as a 4r or 5r. They were designed specifically for the temps you see.

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
I never said to ignore the transmission. I said at the power level you are shooting for, it is not required.

By the sounds of things you enjoy spending money on parts for the sake of buying parts, not necessarily understanding what or why they are required.

95% of getting a 6R to hold good power is in the tuning.
Companies making modified valve bodies etc baffle me because the TCM is compensating for a lot of those changes anyway lol . That being said, for a built transmission, machining for additional clutches is required if they are to hold 700+ .The factory pumps can make waaaay more pressure than the stock tuning asks for. The shafts are not a known weak point. Basically the only failures I see are clutches. For 4 digit power you will need max clutch count, billet intermediate at minimum.

An aftermarket TC would make more of a seat of the pants difference in feel than any hard parts in the trans.

As far as temps are concerned, it actually hurts the performance and longevity of these transmissions to run as cool as a 4r or 5r. They were designed specifically for the temps you see.

Well i suppose i will do some more research and maybe go find a core 6r to take apart. And i overbuild everything, I know for a fact im not gonna be happy with this truck just making 650whp, I have a second engine in the shed im gonna machine up and build. I said id be happy with 1 turbo on my v10 and well. Now there's two. So i know it will happen again with this truck

Anyway lets get back to turbos. I hear massive votes for the streetmax and i called some shops and the No limit one is also highly regarded.

sootie

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with either turbo you mentioned.

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
What about fleece??

Personally never liked the fleece turbos on cummins stuff. They had a high failure rate. Same with Aurora....Honestly any crap from ATS. Well i guess ive decided to just pick one of those two turbos and switching up to an RCD pump.
Looking like i might have to change tuning from T*r*n*t....They havnt responded to a single revise

sootie

Reaction score
Personally never liked the fleece turbos on cummins stuff. They had a high failure rate. Same with Aurora....Honestly any crap from ATS. Well i guess ive decided to just pick one of those two turbos and switching up to an RCD pump.
Looking like i might have to change tuning from T*r*n*t....They havnt responded to a single revise

Get the exergy pump.

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
560-580 with a 15 turbo and correct tuning

Ive had a hard time even cracking even 480whp with the hottest tuning offered by 3 companies, I dont think a 15 pump or 15 turbo can do more then 500whp. ETs and MPH in 1/4 line up with my 474whp. Thats also using exact vehicle weight

sootie

Reaction score
Ive had a hard time even cracking even 480whp with the hottest tuning offered by 3 companies, I dont think a 15 pump or 15 turbo can do more then 500whp. ETs and MPH in 1/4 line up with my 474whp. Thats also using exact vehicle weight

Curious what elevation you are at?

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
Curious what elevation you are at?

The dragstrip and dyno i run on are both 3700feet. The day i spent dynoing the truck it was about 74degree out and they day i ran it was 78. I had 2/3 companies revise the tunes for higher elevation so currently max boost is 31psi at fuel is a little more then a light haze (if that makes sense). Truck ran a 13.95 best at 100mph flat. (weight is 7938) with me in it and 20 gallons of fuel which was used both racing and dynoing. Here's a big buster for everyone. Taking this truck with a piping kit and intercooler with block off plates with hot tuning it did 473whp on a 81 degree day. Next week after removing the rest of the bad stuff and running a 4 inch on a 79degree day the truck did the 472whp.

LaughingSavage

Reaction score
I'm talking sea level....

Without the revised tune the truck did 440whp. So at sea level it would have done the same 465-475whp. Now im sure if you really spun the turbo hard at sea level to make 33-34psi it might make 500whp but i have not seen a single "custom" tune company sell it like that. At the cost of turbo bearing life. But not a snowballs chance of 560-580 unless you're talking crank numbers which is like measuring your **** from the base of your balls :naughty:
Or maybe dynoing the truck in cold weather with that hard tune and skewing your dyno. That might put you past 530whp but then you're just stretching the truth

J98

Reaction score
Before you go saying it's impossible, there is about 10 guys on here I can think of off hand that have put down 550-580 whp.

Latest posts

Members online