Best brand of Rear Main Seal to buy

TexasJ

Reaction score
Hey guys, the question is pretty self explanatory based on the title. I have my 96 7.3 F250 in the shop right now getting the engine pulled to replace the timing cover gasket. The truck has over 315k miles on it and I don't know how many previous owners it's had or if the rear main has EVER been replaced. So while the engine is out I think it might be a good idea to just replace the rear main seal, even if it's not leaking yet. I'm looking for info on the best brand of seal to buy? Or is any seal made to OEM specs going to be sufficient, regardless of who made it? I just want to get the best quality part possible, because I can NOT afford to pull the engine again for a VERY long time. Thanks in advance!

CJunkie

Reaction score
If you don't want to screw around, just go straight for the motorcraft seal.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
I agree. However, the rear main seals on 7.3's have been know to last the entire life of the motor. On the other hand, I grew up with the belief of if you lay eyes on a rear main seal, replace it.

TexasJ

Reaction score
Ok so I've looked around online and I'm not finding ANY motorcraft rear main seals. I see Mahle, National, Felpro, Victor Reinz, Timken, and SKF. Those are all on Rock Auto. I also saw Tasca Ford Parts has one for sale but I don't see the brand listed anywhere.

TexasJ

Reaction score
Yeah that's my thinking on it, if it's accessible I might as well replace it. Especially since I want to keep this truck running for at least another 500k. I did try and find a motorcraft seal, but no luck. See more info in my other comments. Any suggestions?

TexasJ

Reaction score
Ok so I just took another look at the Tasca part. It is the Ford/Motorcraft seal so that's what I went with. Thanks for the input guys! Take care

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I wouldnt touch the rear main on a 7.3 if it aint leaking. Ods are it will leak sooner than later after replacement.

live life full throttle

TexasJ

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm back with not so great news. Apparently the motorcraft seal is on national backorder. The tasca website doesn't show as being "out of stock" so that's who I ordered from, but I just got an email from them this morning saying my order has been cancelled because they don't have it and it is in fact on backorder. No one seems to have any clue when they will be getting more in, and I have several messages out to different suppliers trying to figure out if they will be getting more at all, or if motorcraft has discontinued the part. But at this point it sounds like even if they will be getting more, I won't be able to get it in time to have it installed while the motor is out of my truck. So I'm looking at other options; Mahle, Felpro, and the others I listed above that Rock Auto has in stock. Are any of those comprable to the Motorcraft in quality, and would it be worth replacing the current rear main with one of them, even if it's not leaking yet? The only reason I'm considering replacing it is because the shop is pulling the engine on warranty to replace the faulty timing cover gasket they installed awhile back, so I won't be paying for labor to have the engine pulled. But if I can't get the motorcraft seal in the next 2 weeks they will be putting the engine back in the truck and then I'm SOL. Money has been VERY tight lately, and I can't afford to pay for the full job if it starts leaking 6 months down the road. So I need to know if it's worth going with another brand of seal, and if so which one? Or should I just stick with the old seal that's in it currently and take my chances. Thanks guys.

Latest posts