Black smoke and surging at idle!

itsmerandy

Reaction score
Truck is a 2004 f250 6.0 powerstroke. Purchased and installed KCTurbo stage 2 Kit with WDI 190/30 premium injectors. Also installed ODawg s3r intake manifold with no EGR valve, Driven diesel fuel return with fuel bowl ******, Air dog fuel pump and No Limit cold air intake. Was supplied custom tunes with SCT x4 from Chris TSD tunes.
Everything ran great for 200+ miles then one day was driving down the road when black smoke started pouring out exhaust and engine was chugging and wouldn't idle, I pulled over and engine would go between 900 - 2,000 rpm back and forth with black smoke pouring out. So I shut it off and tried restarting twice and it would start right up and do the same thing. I had it towed home and then tried to start it at home and it started right up normally with no surging, so I took it for a quick spin around the block and all was good until i got back to my house and it started the same problem again. So I thought it was probably a bad or plugged up ipr valve and replaced it but still had same problem. I decided to try and go back to stock with my tunes and it started running normal again. So for some reason now I can't run any of the custom tunes only stock. I just can't figure out why it ran great with custom tunes for over 200 miles and now it won't. Another thing I noticed is in stock tune my ICP won't get higher then 1700-1800 psi and with IPR at 80%, I thought this was strange but has plenty of power. I did new head gaskets and ARP 2000 studs with new dummy plugs and stand pipes so I don't think i have any high pressure oil leaks internally.
I would greatly appreciate anybody's thoughts or idea's as to what is going on with my truck. Thanks!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Truck is a 2004 f250 6.0 powerstroke. Purchased and installed KCTurbo stage 2 Kit with WDI 190/30 premium injectors. Also installed ODawg s3r intake manifold with no EGR valve, Driven diesel fuel return with fuel bowl ******, Air dog fuel pump and No Limit cold air intake. Was supplied custom tunes with SCT x4 from Chris TSD tunes.
Everything ran great for 200+ miles then one day was driving down the road when black smoke started pouring out exhaust and engine was chugging and wouldn't idle, I pulled over and engine would go between 900 - 2,000 rpm back and forth with black smoke pouring out. So I shut it off and tried restarting twice and it would start right up and do the same thing. I had it towed home and then tried to start it at home and it started right up normally with no surging, so I took it for a quick spin around the block and all was good until i got back to my house and it started the same problem again. So I thought it was probably a bad or plugged up ipr valve and replaced it but still had same problem. I decided to try and go back to stock with my tunes and it started running normal again. So for some reason now I can't run any of the custom tunes only stock. I just can't figure out why it ran great with custom tunes for over 200 miles and now it won't. Another thing I noticed is in stock tune my ICP won't get higher then 1700-1800 psi and with IPR at 80%, I thought this was strange but has plenty of power. I did new head gaskets and ARP 2000 studs with new dummy plugs and stand pipes so I don't think i have any high pressure oil leaks internally.
I would greatly appreciate anybody's thoughts or idea's as to what is going on with my truck. Thanks!

It being an 04, the pump could be ****ting the bed. Does it build good icp pressure when it’s running good? If it only runs poorly tuned, reinstall the tune and monitor icp voltage. At wot it should be between 4 and 4.5v as long as it’s running good. If it’s way low, like 2-2.5, I would air test it to make sure there isn’t a leak prior to replacing the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsmerandy

Reaction score
It being an 04, the pump could be ****ting the bed. Does it build good icp pressure when it’s running good? If it only runs poorly tuned, reinstall the tune and monitor icp voltage. At wot it should be between 4 and 4.5v as long as it’s running good. If it’s way low, like 2-2.5, I would air test it to make sure there isn’t a leak prior to replacing the pump.

I tried to reinstall custom tunes a couple of times with the same results of surging and heaps of black smoke, also when it does act up on the custom tunes i notice it shoots the ipr up to 80% which is probably whats causing the surging and black smoke, I just don't understand why all of the sudden the custom tunes are causing this to happen? Anyways I will do some more testing for icp voltage on stock tune and report back. Also will it hurt running stock tunes with 190/30 injectors? seems to run good pretty good on stock but just dont want to damage anything. Thanks

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It shouldn’t hurt anything runnng the stock tune

Sixfoh

Reaction score
I once had a 7.3 do something similar. Turned out to be oil migration on the ICP pigtail. Have you tried the old unplugged ICP to see if that effects running conditions? I believe unplugging it will default the computer to proposed values of what a good running engine should expect at X rpm. So at idle it defaults the ICP to roughly 500 psi if my memory serves me correctly. Something you may already know and have tried but I like to start simple.

itsmerandy

Reaction score
Well I think its the HPOP after talking to KCTurbo, so I did an air leak test on high pressure oil side and no leaks, so it just about has to be HPOP and when tunes are in they can't get the oil pressure needed and freaks out. I forgot to also mention I had a p2290 code that popped up yesterday which kinda verifies the pump. I am wondering now if I should go with a stage 2 HPOP or just stock for the 190/30 injectors?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well I think its the HPOP after talking to KCTurbo, so I did an air leak test on high pressure oil side and no leaks, so it just about has to be HPOP and when tunes are in they can't get the oil pressure needed and freaks out. I forgot to also mention I had a p2290 code that popped up yesterday which kinda verifies the pump. I am wondering now if I should go with a stage 2 HPOP or just stock for the 190/30 injectors?

Is this an early 04 or a late? I know you said you replaced stand pipe and dummy plugs, so I assumed it was late, but I can’t tell you how many people have told me they’ve replaced that **** on an 03/early 04. Check icp voltage koeo, should be around .23v, within .01 +/-. As long as that’s fine, I would be leaning toward hpop, I guess that’s a good thing since I started you down that road. LOL. Unless you are planning on going much larger on injectors, I would most likely stick with stock personally.

itsmerandy

Reaction score
Is this an early 04 or a late? I know you said you replaced stand pipe and dummy plugs, so I assumed it was late, but I can’t tell you how many people have told me they’ve replaced that **** on an 03/early 04. Check icp voltage koeo, should be around .23v, within .01 +/-. As long as that’s fine, I would be leaning toward hpop, I guess that’s a good thing since I started you down that road. LOL. Unless you are planning on going much larger on injectors, I would most likely stick with stock personally.

It was built Dec. 2003 and has icp sensor on passenger valve cover but has the early style HPOP that suck. I tore into the truck this afternoon and it turns out the J tube or discharge tube had come lose at the snap to connect fitting and pulled right off when i removed the 2 screws to the pump. So hopefully pump is still good and I just need to replace the j tube. Guess I will head to the dealership tomorrow for a replacement since Oreilly's doesn't carry them. :rockon:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It was built Dec. 2003 and has icp sensor on passenger valve cover but has the early style HPOP that suck. I tore into the truck this afternoon and it turns out the J tube or discharge tube had come lose at the snap to connect fitting and pulled right off when i removed the 2 screws to the pump. So hopefully pump is still good and I just need to replace the j tube. Guess I will head to the dealership tomorrow for a replacement since Oreilly's doesn't carry them. :rockon:

Well good catch man. Hopefully that’s all it was.

itsmerandy

Reaction score
Well good catch man. Hopefully that’s all it was.

Well unfortunately it wasn't the problem, truck is still acting up when tuned. I tried resetting SCT X4 and updating it along with redownloading custom tunes and still having same issues. Even the SCT canned tunes are causing the same issues of sticking ipr at 85% when running. Another weird thing I noticed is it shows my engine oil temp at -40 deg. when tuned and when you first turn on key the injectors normally clatter for just a few seconds, but when tuned on it clatters for close to a minute before shutting off. Just really strange.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well unfortunately it wasn't the problem, truck is still acting up when tuned. I tried resetting SCT X4 and updating it along with redownloading custom tunes and still having same issues. Even the SCT canned tunes are causing the same issues of sticking ipr at 85% when running. Another weird thing I noticed is it shows my engine oil temp at -40 deg. when tuned and when you first turn on key the injectors normally clatter for just a few seconds, but when tuned on it clatters for close to a minute before shutting off. Just really strange.

These will run very funny with incorrect eot readings. Does the eot read correct untuned?

bismic

Reaction score

Just so you know, the 85% is a commanded value (generated from ICP actual and ICP desired), and not an actual valve position.

Latest posts

Members online