Blowing intercooler boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCS

Reaction score
I've tried hair spray and factory ford boots apposed to the ones sent with my irate kit but without fail at 40 psi BOOM the passenger side Y boot comes off everytime. Not to mention wicked high EGT's all the way untill she blows.

There isnt enough room for two clamps on the plenum any other ideas to keep this thing on?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Hypermax kits run a strap to the valley and bolt to the engine. A quality boot, t-clamp and rolled pipe edge go a long way to keep things together

OSCS

Reaction score
I'm letting the hair spray sit for about 8-10 min. It's the clamp holding the boot to the plenum

OSCS

Reaction score
My kit came with OEM plenums.. No rolled edge here.. Do Billet aftermarket plenums come with a rolled edge?

TARM

Reaction score
I use Napa Big rig radiator hose for all my boots. Its stiff tough and best of all CHEAP comapred to what you pay for boots that will hold as well. The other issue you will run into next when you have good boots is crushing the intake inlets. I think if you weld a small strap onto the spider and bolt it down to one of the bolts around the valley that will take care of any issues.

Something to consider as well is that from all I can tell its extremely hard on your turbo bearings when you blow a boot like that at high boost. The wheel has huge force its fighting then instantly zero and the wheel slams the other way. I would limit your boost until you get it resolved to say 35psi.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
My kit came with OEM plenums.. No rolled edge here.. Do Billet aftermarket plenums come with a rolled edge?

I hate OEM plenums. Cheapest pile of crap tin you'll ever see. I believe that the plenums from Bean's Diesel do... I can't remember though. I run WOP billet pieces on mine. No complaints. No blowing boots.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Steve is right. Hypermax uses a band down into the valley.

I just bent my own out of 1" flat bar 1/8" thick and drilled two holes.

I had the same problem the y pipe would lift out, now a shot of hairspray and my band and it hasn't come off at over 50 psi

OSCS

Reaction score
Right on thanks for the ideas and info. I didn't consider the stresses I was putting on the turbo with these blow outs. I'll try and fab up something or look into some better plenums Becuase I've already crushed these ****ty inlets..

OSCS

Reaction score
Steve is right. Hypermax uses a band down into the valley.

I just bent my own out of 1" flat bar 1/8" thick and drilled two holes.

I had the same problem the y pipe would lift out, now a shot of hairspray and my band and it hasn't come off at over 50 psi

I would love to see pics of that banding idea man..

OSCS

Reaction score
I use Napa Big rig radiator hose for all my boots. Its stiff tough and best of all CHEAP comapred to what you pay for boots that will hold as well. The other issue you will run into next when you have good boots is crushing the intake inlets. I think if you weld a small strap onto the spider and bolt it down to one of the bolts around the valley that will take care of any issues.

Something to consider as well is that from all I can tell its extremely hard on your turbo bearings when you blow a boot like that at high boost. The wheel has huge force its fighting then instantly zero and the wheel slams the other way. I would limit your boost until you get it resolved to say 35psi.

Any thoughts on the high EGT's up untill it blows? There on there nice and tight untill 40psi.

Blowby

Reaction score
If the plenum is crushed or not round and failing to seal with the boot then it's leaking boost = high EGT's. Once you fix it see if the temps drop when the boost rises to where it should be.

ToMang07

Reaction score

Just a thought.... I bought a 3.25" pipe expander. I had a T-bolt flip on me (wasn't paying attention) and the angle on it collapsed the end of the inter-cooler pipe inward. I was constantly blowing boots. Expanding the pipe worked like a charm. My Turbo master dumps as 27psi, but haven't had any boot issues since. *knocks on wood*

OSCS

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Your other option is just the intake plenum inserts riff raff offers. Thats what I did and it seems to help as you can really bite down on the plenum clamps.

The bending band idea is really simple. Which intake y pipe are you using, my Hypermax has a bung on the back that I connect one end too. Then I just take it down into the valley and bend it on a 90* and come out to the front of the motor until its over one of the empty threaded holes about 5" foward of the Y pipe and bolt it down.

Those riff raff plenums are a nice piece BTW. I like the O ring idea vs the silicone.

And on your EGTs. I can bury a 1600* gauge WOT no problem. And I dont think 1000* at 18 psi is bad.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Your other option is just the intake plenum inserts riff raff offers. Thats what I did and it seems to help as you can really bite down on the plenum clamps.

The bending band idea is really simple. Which intake y pipe are you using, my Hypermax has a bung on the back that I connect one end too. Then I just take it down into the valley and bend it on a 90* and come out to the front of the motor until its over one of the empty threaded holes about 5" foward of the Y pipe and bolt it down.

Those riff raff plenums are a nice piece BTW. I like the O ring idea vs the silicone.

And on your EGTs. I can bury a 1600* gauge WOT no problem. And I dont think 1000* at 18 psi is bad.

I have the riffraff reinforcing plenums, and they work great. Very happy with them.

As far as the aftermarket plenums.... the Riffraff ones are the cleanest I have seen, and great price. However the "o-rings" part has me a tad sketched out. There are plenty of companies making them. Shop around. I think Jake/Irate makes them too.

OSCS

Reaction score
Alright guy thanks for the help. I really like the riff raff ones too. Super clean

OSCS

Reaction score
Just checked out the inserts. I like the idea but can't help but think it will cause some restriction.. Think I'm just going to go with the billet set unless Jake has some billet ones for cheaper. BTW I have Jakes s366 kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online