BOOST GAUGE INSTALL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Installled my cheap-o autometer gauges today and they supplied directions and parts to tap into a boost reference line, such as the map sensor line.

I did this and it seems that either the tee into the map line needs to be tighter and isnt sealed properly or this just doesnt work very well. I can put the truck into a hot, fuely tune and the gauge wont go past 5psi, free revving.

I took my old gauges out a while back and changed turbos in the meantime otherwise I would have just used the bung I tapped into the stock compressor housing.

Anybody used the map line for a boost gauge? It just seems like a 38r should be snapping the pin off the boost gauge in a hot tune even though the trans is in park.

Might have to tap the hole for the AIH and pull my boost reading from there.

STROKER

Reaction score
Im no 7.3 guy but free reving with no load i wouldnt think it would make much more thab 5psi

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thanks for the input stroker! I kinda factored that in but seem to remember the stocker hitting 10-12 on the gauge with less fuel.

Im hoping that It just needs some type of load to make boost.

Ill check on it tomorrow before I tap the housing or spyder.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The other question is, do people commonly tap the MAP supply line? I kinda wish I wouldnt have, in hindsight, as Ive got a perfectly useless AIH that I could have put a tap to. :doh:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
The other question is, do people commonly tap the MAP supply line? I kinda wish I wouldnt have, in hindsight, as Ive got a perfectly useless AIH that I could have put a tap to. :doh:

I have mine tapped into the MAP line... my boost is tapped into the boost fooler

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
Mines in the map line. maybe 3psi in park. the needle flutters real bad at higher boost and I think someone told me it was cause I tapped in the map line. Cant remember tho!

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Put the truck in drive, hold the brakes and build boost. If your not building boost by 2000 rpm's then you may have a problem.

Like said above, you won't build boost without a load.

With that said, I had mine tapped in the MAP line along with a Diesel Site BRVII (boost fooler).

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Your boost tap is fine. Most install it there, I recommend using a Brass T rather then the cheap crap Autometer sends with it.

You will not build much if any boost without a load on the truck. Go out and drive.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Check around the rubber where it connects to the T. Mine was fine until it slit at the connection fro the heat. Now its tapped into the intake spyder with brass since I couldnt find a T that small.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Your boost tap is fine. Most install it there, I recommend using a Brass T rather then the cheap crap Autometer sends with it.

You will not build much if any boost without a load on the truck. Go out and drive.

I will get a brass one! Although Ive gotta say I left the pack of fitting laying on the pass side tire and yesterday I backed out of the garage and ran them over and none are broke. LOL

The 3/16" fitting pushes into the map line fairly easy. Think I should heat the line with a torch and put a 1/4" in there instead? Maybe clamp it too?

Joe I was gonna go with the isspro gauges but autometer is made in sycamore which is only 40min from the house. They were a pain to deal with though. I wanted to come to the plant and physically look at different gauge models and they couldnt accomodate me. If these things hiccup, im gonna get the white isspro's with red pointers.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok, got the install finished and the boost gauge worked but in a 140 race tune the gauge wont go over 10psi. I am running tunes setup for a stock truck with a fuel system, exhaust, and intake. Since I got the tunes Ive installed a 38r.

The truck has GOT TO BE making more boost than 10psi because I can stand on it and leave two 13.5" wide blackmarks about ten feet long on the asphalt.

Will the tunes not allow the 38r to spool? Or is this gauge not getting proper boost reading?

For anybody just jumping in, I teed into my map sensor line with a 1/4" tee and it seems like the gauge isnt showing accurate manifold pressure. Or Im completely out of touch with what I should be seeing.

Correct me if Im wrong but I figured Id see 20psi with my setup if not closer to 30.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You have a kink in your boost line, bad gauge or over tighten the ferral on the gauge...

A bone stock SD 7.3 will make 17psi.

When you get done with the autometer let me know... Lots of good vendors here for Isspro and I can give you the part numbers and such...

average

Reaction score
If you get a AIH delete plug, most come with a spot to run a boost line to, that's where mine is.

Sorry about the blurry picture but you can see the plug and where the brass fitting and boost line comes out.
IMAG0379.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
You have a kink in your boost line, bad gauge or over tighten the ferral on the gauge...

A bone stock SD 7.3 will make 17psi.

When you get done with the autometer let me know... Lots of good vendors here for Isspro and I can give you the part numbers and such...

If you get a AIH delete plug, most come with a spot to run a boost line to, that's where mine is.

Sorry about the blurry picture but you can see the plug and where the brass fitting and boost line comes out.
IMAG0379.jpg

Thanks Joe! I will check under the cowl where I ran the line and see if the line is kinked. I remembered not to over-tighten the ferrule but Ill check again. Any thoughts on tunes affecting the overall psi since the pcm thinks there is a stock charger on it?

I have a plug that I could use if I tapped the plenum, average, but I like that one you have too. Mines a threaded brass plug with a 1/4" barbed fitting.

I kinda like the white isspro ev2 with red needles. Hmmm? Im gonna put my white/grey/red dash overlay on soon too.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Thanks Joe! I will check under the cowl where I ran the line and see if the line is kinked. I remembered not to over-tighten the ferrule but Ill check again. Any thoughts on tunes affecting the overall psi since the pcm thinks there is a stock charger on it?

Boost is boost, PCM has no idea what turbo is pushing air into the motor.

Most times I see a boost tube kinked at the gauge, in the pod area.

I kinda like the white isspro ev2 with red needles. Hmmm? Im gonna put my white/grey/red dash overlay on soon too.

Thats a special order, but just let your vendor know... And if they wont then let me know!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Love my autometers! Wot I can get her up to 39lbs of boost... and I'm tapped into the map line as well... like ceiling said I'm willing to bet its leaking at some of the connection s or is kinked.. especially if you can leave black marks like that...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just got in tonight so I dont think Im gonna get a chance to look at it until tomorrow.

Then again, I might as well go check it out.

I remember reading that isspro's can run up to 14 or 17 gauges off of one set of feed wires. Is this true Joe? Are we just talking the power portion or does that include the input or sensor lead? Thats would be nice just because there is sooooo many fuggin wires in my pillar that it was pretty damn tough to get it to stay on long enough to get the push connectors in to hold pod/cover on.

Ill go look and see what I can find.

@lincolnlocker-I too thought it was odd that I could burn goodyear like that with ~10 lbs of boost.