Braking Performance After 22.5" Wheels

Reaction score
I'm considering about doing 22.5's but I was told that it adds alot of rotating weight, which makes sense. So has anyone done it and noticed that they needed to do a brake upgrade? And if so, what did you do? I have a 2008 cclb DRW. Please let me know what you think.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
I'm considering about doing 22.5's but I was told that it adds alot of rotating weight, which makes sense. So has anyone done it and noticed that they needed to do a brake upgrade? And if so, what did you do? I have a 2008 cclb DRW. Please let me know what you think.
I went from 19.5’s and ~32’s to milled 22.5’s and 37x13.5’s. Way bigger setup, way more rotating mass and it stops fine. I also have a service body, fuel tank, and pull trailers. The brake systems are pretty stout.

Reaction score
That’s good to know. I was always understood that Ford’s were the worst about brakes. And truthfully, every ford I have ever had, the brakes sucked.

Reaction score
I replaced master cylinder, calipers, and al the rubber lines. And they always have this certain level of sponginess to them. Don't get me wrong, the truck does stop. It just requires alot more pedal travel before you feel the real pressure than my friend's trucks ( Rams). And in the event I have to stab the brake pedal, it feels like the ABS kicks in before the brakes even apply.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
My 08 has 318k on it. Still has the factory brakes. They still stop me fast when needed. I know what you mean by a soft pedal. The 11 and up ones are not as soft.

genie144

Reaction score
Upgrade pads/rotors if you are worried about braking performance. I ran 19.5/36" tires for ~8 years and never had an issue with stopping. I did upgrade to frozen rotors and hawk pads.

Sam

Latest posts

Members online