CAT oil filter upgrade

Reaction score
Getting ready to do the first oil change on the truck and was looking into the CAT oil filter. I found a direct spin on filter and was wondering if anyone else is running them? If so, what oil are you running? How long are you going between oil changes? Do you think it’s better than using a motorcraft filter?

Here is the filter that I found that’s a direct spin on.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8860.png
    IMG_8860.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 99

ncollins64

Reaction score
I can comment on the cat filter, but I do know ever since I swapped over to cenpeco oil in everything I have, my oil samples have never been better even when using motorcraft, lubrication engineers, and Schaefer’s oils. But, I do think the cat filters are a smaller micron than the motorcraft?

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the OEM filter?

Unless your doing sampling I'd just go by the manual.
No nothing wrong with oem. I’m just getting close to needing to do the first change on it and was just wondering if the cat filter would be a better option compared to the motorcraft? If there isn’t going to be that much of a difference then I’ll stick with the motorcraft.

I do tow a fair amount but not regularly. Usually 10-12k on the trailer.

Reaction score
I can comment on the cat filter, but I do know ever since I swapped over to cenpeco oil in everything I have, my oil samples have never been better even when using motorcraft, lubrication engineers, and Schaefer’s oils. But, I do think the cat filters are a smaller micron than the motorcraft?
Ten 4. Thanks. Like I previously stated in the last reply to a comment I do tow some and figured the cat filter would be better vs a motorcraft filter. I’ve never had problems with running the motorcraft filters on previous trucks but I never had the cat filter option.

ncollins64

Reaction score
What is the cat part number for the one you posted? Is it 1807? I do know the motorcraft oil filter has a bp valve in it, and I don’t think the cats do since they usually have the bp valves in the block.

Iso-baric

Reaction score
FWIW - I use CAT / Donaldson filters as much as makes sense. That being said, Motorcraft filters are extremely high quality.

Part of the failure analysis training we run for our dealer network involves destructive analysis of CAT and competitive filters. OEM Motorcraft is across the board as good as Fleetguard / Baldwin, better than other light duty OEMs (AC Delco, Mopar) and lightyears ahead of aftermarket replacements (Fram, K&N, STP, etc).

If you find a part # for the CAT filter I can give you the spec on it, but I would be cautious of it not having an integrated bypass.

The fact that the vendor has strategically oriented the filter in all of the images on their site so that there isn't a part # tells me you are probably paying a 50% markup versus the same filter from your local CAT dealer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW - I use CAT / Donaldson filters as much as makes sense. That being said, Motorcraft filters are extremely high quality.

Part of the failure analysis training we run for our dealer network involves destructive analysis of CAT and competitive filters. OEM Motorcraft is across the board as good as Fleetguard / Baldwin, better than other light duty OEMs (AC Delco, Mopar) and lightyears ahead of aftermarket replacements (Fram, K&N, STP, etc).

If you find a part # for the CAT filter I can give you the spec on it, but I would be cautious of it not having an integrated bypass.

The fact that the vendor has strategically oriented the filter in all of the images on their site so that there isn't a part # tells me you are probably paying a 50% markup versus the same filter from your local CAT dealer.
Appreciate the info. I think I will just stick with the motorcraft filters on the new truck.

sirkdev

Reaction score
Look into Baldwin B7379 I have searched far and wide nothing else comes close for a spin on. All others that I have looked at are closer to 20 micron absolute.

Contains:
Anti-Drainback Valve; 20 PSID By-Pass Valve
Thread Size:1-16
Outside Diameter:3 11/16 (93.7)
Length:6 7/16 (163.5)
Gasket:Integral Gasket: G381-A
Micron Rating:8 Absolute
Application:Ford Super Duty Pickups with V8-406 (6.7L) Turbo Diesel Engine
Compatible Competitor Part Number:Motorcraft FL2051

Latest posts

Members online