Converter Stall Speed?

HolyHandGrenade

Reaction score
Sorry, I’m sure this topic has been covered over and over. Searching I see “if you have this or that, then go this route” etc.

So I’ll be specific.

1996 7.3 e4od, dually 4.10 gears, stock tires, 160 / stock injectors, 1.0 housing, EBPV ******, rebuilt stock turbo with billet wheel and KC 300 turbine wheel.

Normally when I use the truck, I’m towing my gooseneck. I blew my transmission a few days ago. New one is being built now, but I need to decide what converter to go with.

I’m assuming billet, low stall. Any suggestions on stall speed? The ones I’m seeing are 1200-1300 stall. I’m not sure the 160s and 1.0 housing are up to the task of that low a stall?

Thank you

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
That is what I found out, that low stall is not best.

From what I could find it was really a thing for a while but in the end it made the trucks feel doggy and more smoke.

I am sure it could be tuned to work better with a low stall like smaller turbo housing and programming, but I decided against it.

I got a racerX convertor. It is supposed to be tuned for the truck. Not sure how that works, but I am very happy with it. Well the lockup is a little slower than I prefer but I suppose it keeps me from breaking things.

Those old 7.3 engines just seem to love rpms. I have a kc300x coming with a .84 housing. I run 180CC should be interesting to see how low end changes.

HolyHandGrenade

Reaction score
That is what I found out, that low stall is not best.

From what I could find it was really a thing for a while but in the end it made the trucks feel doggy and more smoke.

I am sure it could be tuned to work better with a low stall like smaller turbo housing and programming, but I decided against it.

I got a racerX convertor. It is supposed to be tuned for the truck. Not sure how that works, but I am very happy with it. Well the lockup is a little slower than I prefer but I suppose it keeps me from breaking things.

Those old 7.3 engines just seem to love rpms. I have a kc300x coming with a .84 housing. I run 180CC should be interesting to see how low end changes.

Awesome. Thank you. Anything will be an improvement over the old tired trans and converter I suppose.