Coolant in valley, leak.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Had another new leak show up. this truck sits a lot now. Not sure if it is related to that or not.

Last leak was upper radiator hose, thermostat housing. Was all dry after that. Now I smell it, I see coolant in the valley.

Looking online, the two most common would be crossover pipe gaskets or turbo fitting. Both are completely dry with no staining.

Any Idea when they leak? Do I pressure test?
When the truck is hot and the system has pressure I don't see any leaks.

Or will it leak when it is running only?

Or is there someplace else it can be leaking?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What year truck is it? The 11-14 the coolant fitting on the top of the turbo, towards the drivers side is very prone to leaking. Also have seen turbo to block gaskets leak, although much less than the fitting. If it is the fitting do the tube at the same time. Other than that the best bet would be to pressure test it and see where it’s coming from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
It is a 14.

The turbo fitting looks dry. Stays dry.

I pressure tested after posting. No visible leaks or drips. Holds pressure for over an hour before I gave up.

I did finally see some stains on the pass side cross over gasket. But stayed dry during pressure test.

I'm losing a very small amount of coolant. It takes weeks to see the bottle go down any. but it is all ending up in the valley.

Made me wonder if something switching on or off is affecting the leak.

Maybe it only leaks cold?

jswan

Reaction score
I had coolant in the valley on my 15 and it pressure tested fine.

I finally found it leaking from the crossover pipe gasket during warm up on a day that was around 0°C. The leak was small and took me several attempts to find before I got lucky with looking during the right conditions for the gasket to be leaking.

Latest posts

Members online