Death wobble, my turn!

MeTo

Reaction score
I experienced the death wobble for the 1st time. I was towing our 9,500 pound camper on I10 at 65 mph. It happened on a rough bridge approach. Good thing it wasn't on a corner. It happened a few more time traveling ~140 miles to the boondocking site. Traveling at 55 or less reduced the likelihood and the severity. My truck handles very well. This came as a complete surprise. That being said, the wobble felt like the right front tire was osculating from side to side. So much so, that the shift lever was flopping sideways about 6 inches. The steering wheel did very little. Took it into a shop and the ball joints are fine, one tie rod end has a "tiny" amount of play. Shocks and tires should be replaced soon. Yes, but they are not in bad shape. When I purchased the truck in NM (2015). It was in worse shape and it has never wobbled until now. WTH? Would anyone with experience have something to share?

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Does it have a lift on it?
Adding any kind of lift can certainly screw up alignment, mostly caster specs.

And does it have a steering stabilizer on it?
adding one is a good safety measure.

Whether it be a steering stabilizer or shocks, the more you work them, the hotter they get, the less dampening they do. Could very well be new shocks is enough.

MeTo

Reaction score
No lift , never had a steering stabilizer and stock wheels with Cooper AT3s. Something has changed/worn which allows side oscolation of only the right front tire when it hits a bump/hole.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Jack it up and see if anythings loose. I would install a steering stabilizer.

I would also change any tie rod ends that have play, no matter how small. When they start the while death wobble things really flex around.

Is this an F-250 or F-350?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I beam? Check the pivot bushings and the radius arm bushings as well. Noticed this was I. The really old shit thread, so figured I’d ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeTo

Reaction score
It's a F350 with a Dana 60. Since I'm pulling our camper from the Arizona desert to Wisconsin, I have minimal tools. I'm going to ask them about the wheel bearings also.

MeTo

Reaction score
Yes, I do have a weight distribution hitch. It's a Husky 1200 lbs.

I have pulled this camper over much rougher roads and with no problems. Something has changed.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
In order for it to do the death wobble there's loose component's. I wouldvtake this time to change tie rod and drag link ends.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Your best bet at finding something loose is to leave it on the ground. Engine off.

Have someone sit in the driver's seat and turn the steering wheel back and for 1/8-1/4 turn fairly rapidly.

Crawl underneath the front end and look at everything. Tie rods, drag ling. Pitman arm. track bar.
Don't forget things like Track bar mounting bracket. Spring shackles, u-bolts.

Sure would think something would be noticeable. Most shops are going to jack up the front end and wiggle the wheel that kind of checks tie rods, but mostly that is for wheel bearing and ball joints.
Can't really inspect the rest of the suspension with the weight off of it.

MeTo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I gave them a list of what I want checked and that I want all the old parts. Essentially all steering and suspension related parts.

There deisel mechanic owns a 97 F350. So we had a good conversation. We are waiting on parts now.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Did the shop find the culprit?
I know this is a while back, but just curious

MeTo

Reaction score
Yes they did. I'm very happy with the job they did. It was not one issue that caused it. The bottom ball joints and all the tie rod ends had a small amount of play, which added up to enough to cause the death wobble. And in the end, it's been about 100,000 miles since I went through the front end. It was over due for an inspection. I.e. it was my fault it happened. They also found a crack in the yoke witch holds the universal joint on the right side axle. They had to take that to a machine shop to be welded and balanced since the part is not available for an OBS. With evrerything I have done to it. It's handling great.

Side note: by the time the tech finished the truck. He was asking to buy it. I don't see any overland OBSs.

Hazzy

Reaction score
my 04 harley 6.0 had death wobble it turned out to be a seized u joint well 2 of 4 caps when i hit a bump it would rotate n jam the steering and bounce back n forth im guessing but when i pulled it out i used a 2lb hammer on it and couldnt move it . replaced it problem solved .might be 1 in a million chance of happening but dont hurt to check

MeTo

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. The experience for me, freaked me out at the time. I was pulling our 33 foot 9,500 lbs travel trailer on I10 in Arizona. When I hit the bridge aprouch, I coudn't steer. I just did a death grip and slowed as fast as possible. I will definitely be inspected the front end regularly now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.