FORScan and adapters

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
First off, I know there are many threads on adapter options, but they are clear as mud.

They all seem to have so many different opinions on vehicles that are not relevant.

I intend to use the paid version of forescan.

Will be using an iPhone and need a Bluetooth adapter.

Reason for this post is to find out what adapter works best on the OBS trucks.

I would like to run all the normal tests (KOER, KOEO, buzz, CCT, kam, etc.)

If there is one that would work with a ‘16 6.7 and the OBS, that would be great but not necessary.

Please let me know your personal experiences and what you have used.

Thank you!

Bugman

Reaction score
I don't know if you will get any real clear answer on the Forscan forum or not?

https://forscan.org/forum/

I picked up a adapter off of Amazon for around $30 that works on both my 96 and a 2016 Explorer, but it is no longer available. I am running Forscan Lite on my android phone, and I have a paid version of Forscan on a laptop that works with both the Bluetooth adapter and a USB cable hook up.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Not sure it’s going to matter based on body style or model year of the vehicle. Just get the one they recommend in the app description.

79jasper

Reaction score
I thought iPhone had to be the wifi version? Or did something change in the last few years?
I only like the obdlink adapters.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
I don't know if you will get any real clear answer on the Forscan forum or not?

https://forscan.org/forum/

I picked up a adapter off of Amazon for around $30 that works on both my 96 and a 2016 Explorer, but it is no longer available. I am running Forscan Lite on my android phone, and I have a paid version of Forscan on a laptop that works with both the Bluetooth adapter and a USB cable hook up.

Thank you very much!
I was looking there before but got lost in the endless unanswered questions lol.
Apparently the OBDMx+ is the one needed for iOS according to their chart.
They run about $90.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Not sure it’s going to matter based on body style or model year of the vehicle. Just get the one they recommend in the app description.

Thank you!
Hopefully I can do some generic functions/monitoring but if not I’ll get the laptop version with usb cable.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
I thought iPhone had to be the wifi version? Or did something change in the last few years?
I only like the obdlink adapters.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Looks like that used to be correct until the Mx+ version of the adapter came out.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Just to help others look through the many options available, this is the one to look for

993d3ed211fc829a3e81301dfcecf674.jpg

dsberman94

Reaction score
Thank you!
Hopefully I can do some generic functions/monitoring but if not I’ll get the laptop version with usb cable.

I use the laptop and corded dongle works well. I think your laptop would work with the Bluetooth one as well, I think most laptops have Bluetooth capability but it’s been so long since I’ve tried I may be wrong.

Bugman

Reaction score
I actually have two of the ELM 327 adapters, one in each vehicle.

I figure that I always have my phone with me so if something pops up I can plug it in and start to figure things out.

If I am at home I'll just use my laptop with a cord.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The green dongle showed up today. I downloaded the forscan viewer app for free since I plan to use it as gauges on my phone in my ‘14 f150. Didn’t drive that to work today because I finally got my “right thing the wrong way” body work half azz done on the 7.3 so I drove that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just to help others look through the many options available, this is the one to look for

993d3ed211fc829a3e81301dfcecf674.jpg
Get this one. Stay away fro. The cheap ones. Dont leave it plugged in. It makes stuff go wonky. Lol. Only plug it in when in use. Mine makes my lights flash on my old 12 and on my 15 if i leave plugged in..

Btw, can only use it as a code reader and monitor on ios or droid phones. Have to have a windows based computer for doing anything else test or programming wise.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online