Getting rid of drone at ~2000 rpm

CamTom12

Reaction score
My truck has a 5" with the long FTE resonator. I was getting a rough drone from ~1900-2200 rpm, which is right were we pull the camper up hills. I recently put a 24" J-pipe resonator right behind the downpipe and in the cooler ambient temps of the spring its done wonders on the drone below 2100 rpm, but doesn't do much from there on up. I think as the temps warm that rpm it cancels will shift a little higher, but we'll see on that.

The guy that put my FTE resonator in put it right before my rear axle. I've since read they're supposed to be closer to the motor - do you think it'd be worth moving the FTE resonator to right behind the DP? If I do that I think I'll have to lose my J-pipe but I'm not sure how good of a solution that is anyway.

J98

Reaction score
Can you get rid of the 5"? Never had drone with any of mine running 4" or just a race pipe.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I recall that the better setup was to run a Donaldson muffler with a resonator. I don’t remember which one was supposed to be installed closer to the motor.

sootie

Reaction score
I did a 12" resonator just behind the dp with a 51" Donaldson behind that. Truck was silent unless wide open and the only thing you heard was turbine noise.

BrewTown

Reaction score
2 things:
1) I believe those resonators have a flow limit, and high HP trucks gained power and lowered EGTs when removed. Not saying your situation warrants removal, just a point to maybe research. I personally run a Diamond Eye Resonator on my Ex. right after the DP.
2) The J-Pipe is tunable by length. They work by the wave traveling down the pipe and back to cancel out the wave in the exhaust. That's how they cancel the drone. Different length will cancel at different RPM. I don't have the calculations for what length you need, unfortunately. I will say maybe tweaking the length of your current one is all you need to modify...

Latest posts

Members online