high flow intake elbow with block plates for egr

2008/6.4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering if any one is making an egr block off kit(exhaust and coolant) with a high flow intake elbow that deletes the valve but still provides a place for the upper egr to bolt to. if it ever had to go for emission testing we would just have to swap he elbow and remove the blocking plates.

Wayne

Reaction score
i highly doubt a kit is made. I recommend just using whatever intake elbow you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the EGR cooler, then use the flange from a standard EGR delete kit to cap off the egr cooler. You'd have to grab a couple bolts & nuts to go with it, but should work no problem. Be sure to use the blocker plate between the supply pipe, and first EGR cooler just to be on the safe side for best efficiency. You could just cap off the small coolant line running through the stock elbow too. Let us know how it works if you do it.

2008/6.4

Reaction score
Lets say i block off the exit on the upper coolerand leave it in place. Replace the egr valves intake, install a high flow intake pipe and plug the coolent lines. Is it necessary to put a blocking plate at the exhaust on the lower cooler? Is there any advantage to just leaving it on? Will the egr coolers still act as a waste gate? Would I have any potential problems using this technique?

2008/6.4

Reaction score
Nobody makes a highflow elbow with the EGR cooler port, kinda defeats the purpose.

I should have been more clear. The old intake with the valve would be completely replaced by a new intake elbow. The cooler would stay on and be simply blocked off with a plate.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If that's all your looking to do you can use anyone's elbow, you'll have to make your own plate though or just weld it shut. Really I guess you can leave it open on that end if you want. If its blocked off on the exhaust side it won't matter.

2008/6.4

Reaction score
If that's all your looking to do you can use anyone's elbow, you'll have to make your own plate though or just weld it shut. Really I guess you can leave it open on that end if you want. If its blocked off on the exhaust side it won't matter.

That was my original question. If I blocked off the exit on the upper cooler and left the the lower cooler open, would they still function as a waste gate?

2008/6.4

Reaction score
Lets say i block off the exit on the upper coolerand leave it in place. Replace the egr valves intake, install a high flow intake pipe and plug the coolent lines. Is it necessary to put a blocking plate at the exhaust on the lower cooler? Is there any advantage to just leaving it on? Will the egr coolers still act as a waste gate? Would I have any potential problems using this technique?

This would make it a lot easier since the upper egr is much more accessible. If I ever needed to reinstall the system for testing, it would be the way to go. Plus I would have all the benefits of a complete delete without actually taking them off the truck.

BFT

Reaction score
Like wang said, you can use the same block off plate to plug the cooler that connects to the elbow. you don't need both of them but I'd block it at the horizontal cooler.
The EGR will not work as a WG because it is no longer going through the intake

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
This would make it a lot easier since the upper egr is much more accessible. If I ever needed to reinstall the system for testing, it would be the way to go. Plus I would have all the benefits of a complete delete without actually taking them off the truck.

If you blocked the coolant lines off too then yes.

2008/6.4

Reaction score
That was my original question. If I blocked off the exit on the upper cooler and left the the lower cooler open, would they still function as a waste gate?

I would assume not since they can't release the pressure if I have the top exit blocked. There might be a minimal waste gate effect though because of the added volume, no?

RCurt85

Reaction score
How did this work out for you? I’m about to do this to a 6.4 I just bought. I’d like to talk to someone over the phone if that’s possible?
Thanks for your time.

ToMang07

Reaction score
How did this work out for you? I’m about to do this to a 6.4 I just bought. I’d like to talk to someone over the phone if that’s possible?
Thanks for your time.
10 year old thread bud. Welcome to the site tho

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online