How Do You Flush Out an Engine That's Had the Oil Cooler Bust?

imelmo

Reaction score
No, not my truck. LOL Got a friend that's buying an '03 dually that the oil cooler busted on and it has the sludge oil all thru everything. What's the best way to flush it all out?

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
we would always drain the crap out of the cooling system and then fill it full of water and a gallon of hydro solve and then just run the engine and once it is up to operating temp dump the cooling system and then refill with just water and keep doing that til it come out clean. there are other things that can be used besides hydro solve. i know one guy thats uses a gallon of cascade dish washing soap.

ford_trck

Reaction score
Cascade works and Ford has some stuff that you can use also. Run it at 1500-2000 RPM with a mix of that and water for around an hour. Drain it and the block. There are allen plugs on the rear of the block on both sides.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Have used Dawn and Simple green before. Both work very well with the win going to Simple Green.

Almost felt bad letting that water go down the drain.

Snake

Reaction score
Buy two oil coolers (one Dorman and one OEM). Install the Dorman and flush with Cascade and water. Drive until the Dorman clogs (and it will). Flush again before removing the Dorman and then install the OEM cooler.

Or install a Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler, flush with Cascade and water, and forget it.

As a FYI, the local Ring Power (CAT Dealership and repair facility) orders Cascade by the pallet for flushing after ruptured oil coolers

SINNER

Reaction score
Everyone has a preference for the type of degreaser used, but if you can flush with hot water that makes more of a difference than the soap.

Snake

Reaction score
Everyone has a preference for the type of degreaser used, but if you can flush with hot water that makes more of a difference than the soap.

Don't use any soap for the next week. Just shower with hot water. I bet your advice changes a little.

Inst that why your run the engine so its warm?

You run the engine to circulate the water / cleaner and also get it up to temp so the thermostat will open (if the thermostat isn't removed for a flush).

TurboM700

Reaction score
Don't use any soap for the next week. Just shower with hot water. I bet your advice changes a little.

You run the engine to circulate the water / cleaner and also get it up to temp so the thermostat will open (if the thermostat isn't removed for a flush).

I guess mine was more of a statement then a question and I like your enallage.

SINNER

Reaction score
Inst that why your run the engine so its warm?

How do you flush an engine? Pop the degas bottle cap and pour in some soap and let it run, then drain it out? That will work real well.

You need to run clean water through the engine with a flush kit. The cold water will coagulate the oil and make clumps form. If the option to pull hot water off a water heater is available that will make the process much more effective.

My advice will stay the same just like your reading comprehension has since second grade.

Where did I ever say to not use soap/degreaser? I said a persons PREFERENCE of degreaser may vary as to the best type to USE. The end result will work out better if you have the option to use hot water for the flush instead of pulling cold water off a hose bib like most flush kits recommend. Dawn and Simple Green both work well in breaking down the oil, but a hot water flush will make both work more effective in the end. Do you understand now?

Snake

Reaction score
If you're not running the engine for the flush, you're doing it wrong. If you are running the engine and you think using hot water makes a difference, then you're just retarded.

webb06

Reaction score
If you're not running the engine for the flush, you're doing it wrong. If you are running the engine and you think using hot water makes a difference, then you're just retarded.

Things just got real...true dat

SootRoller

Reaction score
Cascade, simple green or dawn. They key is to maintain the heat in the engine while flushing. Cold oil won't move very well. I found that driving and draining the radiator and block works wonders. I also flush the crap out of the heater core while it is torn apart because you have to remove and replace the hoses anyway. I also flush the radiator while it is torn down. I remove as much oil as I can while from the cooling system while it is torn down. Saves on the flushing afterwards. In my experience the oil tends to rise to the top once hot. So I normally get it hot then stick my water hose in the top of the bottle and let the water push it out. Drain radiator and block. Top back off with cleaner and water then drive and repeat. Final flush after the system is clean is either vc-9 or restore. If you pull the thermostat take a piece of cardboard and zip tie it to the grill and watch the deltas to not overheat it. But it usually takes forever to get warm with no thermostat. I usually leave the old one in and replace it after the flush. When you think it's clean fill the system with water and go beat on it on the road to mske sure it's all out. Nothing worse than filling the system with clean coolant only to pop the hood and find more oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.