Need help

Demetrius holden

Reaction score
I have a f350 6.0 dropped six of my glow plugs this winter so had some rough starts now my truck won’t even turn over replaced the starter and batteries still only makes a tink sound please help

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I have a f350 6.0 dropped six of my glow plugs this winter so had some rough starts now my truck won’t even turn over replaced the starter and batteries still only makes a tink sound please help

How clean are your conections? Have you checked to see if you are getting power to and through the starter relay?

Where is the "tink" sound comeing from?

Also there should be two fuses associated with you starting system. Check them as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Is it a light tink, or a hard thunk?

If it’s a tink, Try using the inline connector by the blower motor area and run it to the positive cable, this will in effect jump the starter. If it works great, if not time to get the volt meter out.

If it’s a hard thunk, time to start pulling glow plugs and see which cylinder is hydro locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demetrius holden

Reaction score
Is it a light tink, or a hard thunk?

If it’s a tink, Try using the inline connector by the blower motor area and run it to the positive cable, this will in effect jump the starter. If it works great, if not time to get the volt meter out.

If it’s a hard thunk, time to start pulling glow plugs and see which cylinder is hydro locked.

Ok I tried it still made the tink noise how can I tell if it’s hydro lock

bismic

Reaction score
Record the sound and post on YouTube in a video. Post a link to that video on this forum.

Did you remove the belt and try cranking as was suggested on the other forum?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok I tried it still made the tink noise how can I tell if it’s hydro lock

If it’s a light tink, probably not hydrolocked. As bismic said, loosen the belt and see if it does anything. If it’s a light tink I’d guess it won’t, but rule it out anyway. Also as powerstroke cowboy said, check power to the starter. The big wire should have 12v constantly, the smaller wire will have 12v when someone is turning the key to start. If the voltages are correct, check your grounds. The one to the passenger side of the block, below the inner fan shroud stand off has a tendency to have issues with how much front covers and stuff leak. Also make sure the starter is tight, seen plenty that people have left loose and cause all sorts of goofy shit.

Also, you said you replaced glow plugs. What year is the truck and did you put the right glow plugs in? 03-early 04 had different glow plugs due to piston design, and I believe they hit pistons if you put 03 glow plugs in an 04 1/2+ motor

bismic

Reaction score
Good post @6.0 Tech

He has an 06 (stated that on the other forum), so an 03 (or early 04) glow plug could cause big problems. Hopefully he still has the packaging for the plugs that were installed so he can post a part number for those installed glow plugs.

Started his thread here without updating the original thread there.

DieselTechRon unfortunately states it wrong in one of his videos (video erroneously states that the early glow plugs are the shorter ones), so it can happen.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
The starter area.

Ok. If you have verified there is correct power to the starter and that the engine can turn over. It's time to pull the starter and and put power to it manually to if it's working. This can be done on the pickup of you follow the method given above by 6.0 Tech.

Demetrius holden

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that help me out but l still have the problem so I’m giving up. Is there any body that’s lives in the McDonough Georgia area that can come by and help that don’t want my first born and arm and leg for payment if so I appreciate it

ngaynanggm34289

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that help me out but l still have the problem so I’m giving up. Is there any body that’s lives in the McDonough Georgia area that can come by and help that don’t want my first born and arm and leg for payment if so I appreciate it
I'd live in Georgia but not in McDonough...
But if still need help, I can try

Sent from my Infinix X650 using Tapatalk

RascalMafia

#hashtag
Super Mod
Reaction score
I lived in McDonough for 10 years, that was about 9 too many.
Call performance diesel, down on exit 201.

bismic

Reaction score

We could help if you answered the questions that were asked of you.

You also need to get a scan tool. The best one is ForScan Lite ($6 download to a smartphone and a $35 OBDII connector).

That would be nice if someone were close to you, but assuming that doesn't happen, you MUST provide us information for us to be able to help.

If you would re-read the response you were given, you will quickly see what was asked and what wasn't answered.