Need power on both banks

Procon444

Reaction score
I have olmed out tested looked .. all is good but I still don't have power but on drivers bank 2-4-6-8
1-3-5-7 no power to injectors . engine try's to run on 4 cylinders but just bucks, I don't get power from reading the IDM pins for either bank at the IDM it self . I do get a reading with a test lite from injector harness on the drivers bank. an nothing on the passenger bank. any ideas? No shorts, olms out perfect, no burned chaffed rubbed wires
new valve gaskets UVCH new no pinched wires new pig tales connectors each side. new CPS new fuel filter with 61 PSI good IPR an ICP . no eigen light. only codes for #3 low to high and Ignition Key code. but with no chip a 1999 F-350 7.3 should not be relevant . And with all that still I'm on foot guys.

psduser1

Reaction score
I had a hard time reading that.

Did you say no power on the idmpins, passenger side?
If you have power at the idm, how's the 42 pin connecter?

Procon444

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply The block I call it the 42 pin connector from the IDM connector to the 42 pin has 44 volts going to the Driver side bank and the passenger bank is sowing 12 volts it will show up on a multy meter, but the test light will only show the 44 volt side and wont luminate for the 12 volts.

Procon444

Reaction score
Yea but it olms out perfect. all the way from the IDM harness to the injectors, I had a problem thought the IDM was bad but turned out it was the relay. so I have new remand
IDM I think it could have gone bad ? both pins 23 an 24 power both sides olms out open witch it is suppose to be. The IDM has codes but I need a bidirectional scanner to read. and I have For scan software. under the block 42 pin has no wear no wires rubbed or bare valve cover no singe of wear from rubbing harness, wow what a pain in the ass but I love my truck. over 500.000 miles and 23 years old and just an amazing truck.

Procon444

Reaction score
ok It turned to be injector #3 unplugged it and it started right up ruff idle. Changed it with a new remand and still running ruff and smoking like a fogger . oh well Saturday I'm going over the shop and we are going to fix it or blow it up . Ill let u know.

psduser1

Reaction score
ok It turned to be injector #3 unplugged it and it started right up ruff idle. Changed it with a new remand and still running ruff and smoking like a fogger . oh well Saturday I'm going over the shop and we are going to fix it or blow it up . Ill let u
One injector killed the whole bank?

I'd run the truck for a couple heat cycles and make sure all the oil is burned off before doing anything else.

Procon444

Reaction score
New dilemma #3 fixed new injector no code for #3 but after a contribution test #2 & #4 are bad So I unplugged each one and nether maid a difference. So checked the wiring in the uvch power and trigger , then from pigtail to the Block 40 pin .. all good then from the block to the injector plugs. all good . So I swopped #4 and #6 6 is a good injector and after swopping then still #2 & #4 still bad so not an injector, Not wiring , not fuel still smoking it is just fuel smoke, I think from #2 & #4 unburned
I'm stumped. any Ideas ?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Change the IDM with a known good one. Actually read the codes for the IDM, I’m surprised forscan isn’t doing that. Only other option is your harness that has 23 years and 500 thousand miles of vibration has worn through the coating and is shorting out. Yes it happens. Just because it ohms good when you’ve got it moved to test it doesn’t mean it isn’t shorted when it’s in it normal position.

If you get parts from anywhere but ford they’re usually junk on these trucks. And even motorcraft parts are getting to be hit and miss for 7.3 model trucks.

Procon444

Reaction score
Yes it did . I don't understand the fuel is there but it isn't firing Compression #2 360 #4 425 idling. 2 is low but not enough to keep it from firing .. and I never had any problems before.
When I unplug 2 and 4 u can hear them stop functioning electrically. why 2 & 4 doesn't
make sense to me. Unless the IDM is just not sending a Triger signal to 2 & 4 but then where is the smoke coming from. I think it is from 2 an 4 but it rely started when I changed #3 injector
so could I have screwed that up ??? The buzz test is as good as it gets all 8 loud and crisp
could the buzz test that good and still have a bad IDM all 8 ??

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What you are saying makes no sense. Maybe I am not following you?

If you can hear number 2 and 4 working. Then stop working after unplugging them. That tells me the IDM is working. If the buzz test passed then the IDM is working.

You have something else going in. Have you checked your Injector O-rings and the copper crush washer between the injector and injector cup? Do you by chance have cracked injector cups that are feeding fuel into the engine. Not sure if that is possible though.

Also, again, do you still have raw unburnt fuel in the exhaust after unplugging the Injectors in the holes that are not working right? I think you answered it. But I am not clear on that yet.

Procon444

Reaction score
Yes I still have unburned fuel in exhaust. will burn your eyes its so strong , The injectors
are working because I swopped out 4 & 6 and still unplug #6 engine runs worse plug back in runs better a lot. But with #4 injector in #6 hole . An still #4 with #6 injector in it a known good injector unplug and no change but u can hear the clinoid stop plug it back in and the injector starts making nose again. ,,, No fuel in the rotator or in the oil. all is good I replaced one O-ring
in #4 injector so I think they all sealed ok.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
So, as you move non working injector from one hole to another it follows?

Or are you saying the known good injector stops working when you put it in place of a injector that is not working?

Procon444

Reaction score
yes #4 an #6 6 is good working injector, so win I put it in #4 hole it makes no change. #4 is still dead and #6 is still working, with #4 injector in it. So #2 an #4 are dead no matter what I do like there not getting a Trigger from The IDM , but if the IDM is not firing 2 an 4 where's the unburned fuel coming from. And why did it start smoking when I changed #3 injector ? If the O rings aren't sealing would it Cause it to smoke like that. Mystery diagnosis would be my truck LOL.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Time to try a known good IDM as mentioned before.

Also trace the wires and make sure they are not rubbed and shorting out someplace as mentioned before. It makes no difference if they test out ok old wise. They could still shorting out.

Latest posts

Members online