No cold start. Need help.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Having issues starting my truck. Fuel isn't gelled. Oil is full. Batteries are charged. New CPS. When turning the key oil pressure will hit 2300. With koeo there is something clicking like crazy under the dash and one under the hood clicking which interrupts the clicking inside when it does it. My insight won't connect. It will turn on but once it gets to the loading screen it will stay there for a few seconds and then turn off. Hydra screen is still lit up and will still change tuned and flash to show that the change has been accepted. I'm not sure that I can hear the injectors clicking when turning over and there doesn't seem to be any decent amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. There's a slight whisp of something coming out the exhaust but it doesn't smell like raw fuel. Jumped the glow plug relay to make sure they were working and still nothing. CEL and WTS light are staying on. Seriously at a loss. Truck is stuck at my girlfriends. Need to get it running.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Cold weather does weird stuff to the electrical in this truck. To change those relays under the hood, take the cover off then just pull and it will come out like a fuse?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Cold weather does weird stuff to the electrical in this truck. To change those relays under the hood, take the cover off then just pull and it will come out like a fuse?
On my 2002, the hybrid instrument cluster would completely stop working on cold mornings. Alternator was the culprit

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
What else goes wacky in the cold weather?

Airbag light on the dash pops on until the cab thoroughly warms up. Over head console screen goes off. I can tap on it to get it to come back on. More like knock on it to get it to come back on. This is the coldest it's been for the longest period of time since I've owned the truck and the relays clicking is the newest. Batteries were definitely fully charged today so that's not the reason for the relays clicking.

dsberman94

Reaction score
On my 2002, the hybrid instrument cluster would completely stop working on cold mornings. Alternator was the culprit

That's the only part I haven't changed but the batteries charged fine when I got them on December. I believe it's been replaced by a PO. IIRC it says remanufactured on it.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Airbag light on the dash pops on until the cab thoroughly warms up. Over head console screen goes off. I can tap on it to get it to come back on. More like knock on it to get it to come back on. This is the coldest it's been for the longest period of time since I've owned the truck and the relays clicking is the newest. Batteries were definitely fully charged today so that's not the reason for the relays clicking.

Obviously something has changed since the clicking is new. If it's not fuel related, can you rule out the alternator taking a chit now? Does it turn over at all?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Obviously something has changed since the clicking is new. If it's not fuel related, can you rule out the alternator taking a chit now? Does it turn over at all?

Turns over like a champ for being as cold as it is. Arisley said to swap those relays so that's what I'm going to do next time I'm at the truck. As well as install a new block heater and cord so it's definitely working. Alternator wasn't bad when I parked it that night. It's gotta be something with the PCM because the insight won't connect and show any gauges any more. Can't check for DTCs either. It just shuts off.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Swap IDM?

Didn't do that yet. There's one in a truck I can borrow to try in mine but if have to dig it out of that truck then get to mine.

I'm looking for ideas at this point. Won't be around the truck again till Friday afternoon. The relays clicking is what's getting me. That's new and the batteries were fully charged.

mandkole

Reaction score
no other fuses are blown? you've checked them all? My experience with power supply loss leads to relay clicking

Arisley

Reaction score
You did clean all four battery terminals correct? Not the outside of them, pull them off, one at a time and clean the terminals and the post with a wire brush cleaner. Clean until they are shiny.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You did clean all four battery terminals correct? Not the outside of them, pull them off, one at a time and clean the terminals and the post with a wire brush cleaner. Clean until they are shiny.

Batteries are only a couple months old as is the positive cable and starter. Ground cables were cleaned when I put the batteries in. Everything looked clean and solid when I hooked up the battery charger.

May have forgotten to mention that when I went l start the truck Monday morning the relays were not clicking like this. Everything worked normal. When my buddy got there a couple hours later to mess with it they were clicking when he turned the key to the on position. Same when I got there later that night. They just started clicking and it still turns over just fine.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Batteries are only a couple months old as is the positive cable and starter. Ground cables were cleaned when I put the batteries in. Everything looked clean and solid when I hooked up the battery charger.

May have forgotten to mention that when I went l start the truck Monday morning the relays were not clicking like this. Everything worked normal. When my buddy got there a couple hours later to mess with it they were clicking when he turned the key to the on position. Same when I got there later that night. They just started clicking and it still turns over just fine.

Throw a charger on the batteries. I bet the relays stop clicking.

Latest posts

Members online